40 pounds, a tale of two conventions

UmmSqueaky
UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
In the last few years, I've embraced my inner geek and started to cosplay, ie dress up in costumes of favorite characters and hang out with other geeks doing the same. At first I did closet and thrift store costumes, hunting through racks of used clothes to make the outfit. But last fall, I decided I'd commission a seamstress to make a costume to measure. I went in for measurements at the beginning of October. By the time I went back for preliminary fittings at the end of the month, I had gained so much weight that the costume didn't button. The seamstress worked some magic and managed to salvage the costume and I wore it to Chicago TARDIS the weekend after Thanksgiving.

There had been several pictures last year that should have shaken me out of my increasingly pudgy stupor, but it wasn't until I saw pictures wearing this costume that I said I've got to do something about this. I started eating better that very weekend and as soon as I got home, I logged onto MFP and have been logging every day since

I did my first cosplay since my weight loss journey this weekend at my local Doctor Who convention, and I do believe I'm coming along nicely. I'm a little over halfway to my goal, which I hope to reach in time for Chicago TARDIS this year. I've got a little over half a year to make it happen, so onward and downward!

14022738310_78a4421088_o.jpg

Replies

• jeskuhsmeekers
    jeskuhsmeekers Posts: 131 Member
    you look great!!! way to go!! you can do whatever you set you mind to!! YOU GOT THIS
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    That's fabulous!

I hope to have a similar story next April at my local convention.

Great job :)
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    YOU LOOK AWESOME!! I've always wanted to go to a convention (I'm a huge anime fan), but I have 200 lbs to lose so I keep putting it off.
  • congrats on your weight loss thus far. Keep up the good work
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    A goal is an important thing to have! Use that "inner geek" to its fullest! I'm so happy for your success!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    In the last few years, I've embraced my inner geek and started to cosplay, ie dress up in costumes of favorite characters and hang out with other geeks doing the same. At first I did closet and thrift store costumes, hunting through racks of used clothes to make the outfit. But last fall, I decided I'd commission a seamstress to make a costume to measure. I went in for measurements at the beginning of October. By the time I went back for preliminary fittings at the end of the month, I had gained so much weight that the costume didn't button. The seamstress worked some magic and managed to salvage the costume and I wore it to Chicago TARDIS the weekend after Thanksgiving.

There had been several pictures last year that should have shaken me out of my increasingly pudgy stupor, but it wasn't until I saw pictures wearing this costume that I said I've got to do something about this. I started eating better that very weekend and as soon as I got home, I logged onto MFP and have been logging every day since

I did my first cosplay since my weight loss journey this weekend at my local Doctor Who convention, and I do believe I'm coming along nicely. I'm a little over halfway to my goal, which I hope to reach in time for Chicago TARDIS this year. I've got a little over half a year to make it happen, so onward and downward!

14022738310_78a4421088_o.jpg
    You look great and you can totally see the difference in your before and after. Even if you don't hit your goal by the next convention, you'll be really close and way better off than when you started! I so want to go to a convention too. Maybe someday. :flowerforyou:
  • HaelaBaer
    HaelaBaer Posts: 44
    That's awesome!!! I used to go to conventions all the time, and I know that most girl costumes and characters are for skinny girls with big boobs. It's so hard to find a 'fantasy' character that's sized like a real woman. I hope you can create your own person a.

I think if you can find a genre and a costume you want to wear, go for it. Even if you don't reach your goal, let your geek flag fly! The best part has got to be that you feel better and are healthier. I hope never to return to one of theFans at conventions who can't walk between hotels because of their health. Your success is inspiring!
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Thanks everyone! Conventions are a ton of fun, even if you're not in costume :) I've always enjoyed cosplaying, but I will say I enjoyed it more this weekend, as I was more confident having lost weight. I haven't ever done the skimpy costume, and probably won't ever do them even if/when I get to my goal weight. Lots of awesome characters who aren't busting out of swimsuits lol :)

Now I just have to convince my sister to go to Boston ComicCon when I visit in August so I can get my picture with John Barrowman!
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Very nice progress!
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Wow very similar to where I'm at... I started at 206 and in my picture I am 166.
  • keobooks
    keobooks Posts: 92 Member
    I've never been one for cosplay, but I'm an avid gamer and go to a few conventions a year, with GenCon being the biggest one. I love to see con geeks here! Keep up the great work
  • lanskies
    lanskies Posts: 14 Member
    I LOVE NERDS haha. I went to Strategicon by accident last year and now I'm into board games. I'm going to E3 this year too :) 2 more weeks! You did such a great job! I went to comic-con in 2013 and I want to look good like my friend haha. I got tickets this year too, hopefully I'll be a few lbs lighter for a costume. I've never been confident enough to wear one because of my weight.

ZELDA.jpg
  • lsimmons1962
    lsimmons1962 Posts: 4 Member
    Wow! What an amazing difference! Excellent work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!