Are your friends helpful?

Options
RaeRum82
RaeRum82 Posts: 22 Member
So I have been going this alone but really been considering posting that thread of I'm new here and need some friends. I was wondering do your MFP friends really help all that much? In life I'm very private and keep to myself (meaning I have no friends therefore no support system in real life) I seem to open up more to people online. So anyway is it helpful to have an online support system?

Replies

• beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My friends have been a huge support and comfort to me. I'm private also, so yes I believe it will help you a lot. Feel free to add me.
  • Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Options
    Its always nice having a support system, online or RL. I have both. I recently joined one of the groups on here and have a great group of "friends." It helps me to get that extra little "atta girl" so to speak. A comment or a like about my progress. Feel free to send me a FR. And good luck with your journey :happy:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes. My friends on here are just as important to my weight loss and getting fit as the tools MFP gives me for logging. I am inspired when I read what they are doing and then it makes me think twice about being lazy or not logging when I see the success they have.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I agree friends are helpful and even important on here. Even though you may be a private person is still sort of anonymous on here. You may find you have friends from all over the country or even the world. So try to embrace the friends you will make on here.

Cindy
  • keobooks
    keobooks Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm new so I haven't really gotten to know any of my friends here yet. I like having friends about the same size as me and who want til lose about the same amount of weight. I like to see what they are doing and eating to give me ideas about what I could be doing.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I am a lot like you in that I am a very private person. I am a little introverted at times but this website has really helped me open up, and just yesterday I started making my diaries viewable to everyone. My friends have inspired me thusfar and keep me going every day, because if they can do it, I can do it too!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yes. Friends on here are supportive in many ways and in ways that can be just what you need when you didn't expect it. Wonderful people on here.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yes. Many on my friends list are the reason I stick around MFP. I actually post more here than on FB. Also, having friends here who are working toward similar goals or have similar interests can help keep you motivated to continue pushing forward.

Post something about yourself in the Introductions thread and you will probably find some new friends. One thing to keep in mind is that this is the internet and there are a lot of different types of people on MFP, don't take rejection of friend requests or deletions personal. Some people are just fickle and rotate through friends quickly.
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    A million times YES! I joined this site a couple years ago but didn't stick to anything or lose any weight. This time around I've made friends and I've been working on weight loss for over a month now. When I have a bad day and I post about it I always get the most supportive comments! My MFP friends always seem to know just what to say. Plus seeing other people's posts can be motivating and encouraging.

I did WWatchers a few years ago and I've gotten more support here on MFP than I ever got at WW meetings. My friends have made a big difference for me being willing to stick with it.

I even have an MFP friend who does weekly weigh ins and emails with me to help keep me accountable.
  • siratlas
    siratlas Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yeah for sure! when I joined I did so just to track my own food intake etc...i never thought I'd find a network of people who were inspiring and full of encouragement (which I hope I can reciprocate). My experience here has been more successful than ANY attempt in the past.
  • RaeRum82
    RaeRum82 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks all I may just go ahead and do it! A supportive word every now and then does sound kinda nice!!!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    My friends have been a huge support and comfort to me. I'm private also, so yes I believe it will help you a lot. Feel free to add me.

I can attest she's a good one to have. :flowerforyou:

I love the friends here. I keep people I know in real life out of this, some know I use this site, but none are on my friends' list. I want those who can support me and not judge. The partial anonymity makes it easier for me to be honest about things like exactly what I weigh now. IRL if someone asks, I'll say what I've lost but not what I currently am or what I was. The day I hit Onderland I celebrated it on here with very supportive friends, went to work that night and never mentioned it to anyone. Keeping this separate from my real life works for me.
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I really like my friends here we all try to motivate each other, even when it is not necessarily about weight loss. I think you will find most of us are really supportive and are more than happy to add friends.

Please feel free to add me!
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    The people I've met on here have helped me through the best and worst of times, and have been my ROCKs for support. I wouldn't be where I am, making the choices I am, without them.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    My friends are amazing. Not me though. I type so much bs I've got myself on ignore.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My friends are amazing. Not me though. I type so much bs I've got myself on ignore.

Believe nothing this gorilla says. He is amazing.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

She just says that because she walked in on me giving myself a *kitten*'s bath once. The lighting in that particular gas station restroom was incredibly flattering.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    My friends spot for me... although I suspect that they are just staring at my *kitten* the whole time.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

The gorilla and the gnome are amazing.

They might scare away the tourists, but they rock.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

You were the first friend I was thinking of when I wrote my response.

And I'm not just saying that to get you to send me more nude photos.