Should I be worried about losing so fast?

Options
keobooks
keobooks Posts: 92 Member
I just got a scale for the very first time in my life. I've started weighing myself first thing in the morning. I seem to be dropping .5-1 pound per day. This seems pretty drastic. I've been working on losing weight for only two weeks now, and I've lost nine pounds.

Is this normal? This seems like a lot of weight lost really fast. I'm not starving myself and I'm not really exercising that much.

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I would not worry if you have just gotten started. People generally drop a lot in the first couple weeks. It should taper off as you keep going.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 pounds in the first two weeks of my diet. Most of it is water weight. Keep it up!
  • keobooks
    Options
    This is good to know. I've never made an organized effort to lose weight before. I've made some very half hearted attempts, but never lost a pound ( refused to weigh or track my food or my weight because I thought doing so would make me obsessive!). So this is new to me.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    As long as your eating plenty, I wouldn't worry too much. Some may be water weight coming off as well. But I wouldn't worry too much unless you continue to keep losing large amounts over a period of time. Just be sure your eating enough and you should be okay :-)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    If you are eating the allowance provided or close to it you should be fine.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The first couple of months... the weight comes off fast...... it is normal... keep walking and eating healthy.... remember you should feel a little hungry... that is normal at first also...
  • Nillalis
    Nillalis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna answer a bit different. The faster you loose your first 50 % the harder it will be to loose your last 50 % so what you should do is check what your BMR is supposed to be for your weight and your hight and never eat below that amount. MFP according to many set your calorie goal a bit low so its easy to in beginning eat to little.

Now it could be due to water you are loosing this fast but to be sure i would check your BMR needs just surf the net for BMR calculators and take a medium of the results you get ( they all calculate a bit different). If you like more help to find out how many calories you should eat at a minimum feel free to send me a message.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's normal when you first start, especially if you have a lot to lose. I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues. It should level off before long.
  • keobooks
    Options
    I'm starting to suspect much of it is water, as I just suddenly gained a pound and a half overnight. I think I'll weigh myself less or log it less. I think the water is going to go up and down for a while. So long as the general trend is down, I'll be happy.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day (because I'm obsessive like that) but I only record once a week. :smile:
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    As others say, as long as you're eating as much as MyFitnessPal recommens and not hungry, I wouldn't worry the first couple weeks. Weighing daily or weekly is okay. I would log everything though. Take advantage of the barcode scanner to speed things up! I weigh daily and record weekly.
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    First two weeks I lost 17lb, started counting after that. It did slow down for me, about 1-2lb per week now with some days in between I gain a little or don't lose at all. I'd say as long as you don't feel like you're hungry or depriving yourself of anything, do what works for you; just log accurately and honestly and try to hit your goals. Weight loss should be enjoyable, and a complete lifestyle change, not a struggle or a test of willpower every time you smell food. That's what I believe anyway, and it's been working for me. Just create a comfortable deficit and lose the fat the way your body wants to without worrying about minor fluctuations! I weigh every day because I'm a little obsessive, but I only record once a week or so.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I was losing, literally, a pound a day. I was ecstatic lol. And then one week BAM! Up 7 pounds. Like whaaaat? And then the next three weeks were getting those darned 7 pounds off. So don't be too sad if it jumps right back up.

I don't know the science, I just know it sucks and life would be happier if we could just lose a pound a day!

My trick to not let the scale control me is actually to weigh myself every day. That way, I can see it going up and down, so if it goes up on weigh in day, there is far less chance I throw the thing out the window.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My first 3 weeks I was loosing a ton of weight and eating at or above my calorie goal. I am in week 6 now and the little scale changes were driving me mad, so I am skipping to twice a month weigh in for now. I know the loss in week 6 is much slower now which is why I had to stop obsessing over the scale.
  • keobooks
    Options
    So far it's been really easy for me. My biggest weakness was mindless eating -- just casually grazing on high calorie foods like cookies all day and not realizing the box was gone. Once I started logging it, my eating immediately changed. Because I'm aware of what and when I eat, I don't have any mysterious empty boxes in my hand anymore. If I were to eat a whole sleeve of crackers, I'd know about it. Turns out I wasn't really hungry while I was grazing all day. Or if I was, the water has helped this low level constant hunger dissipate. I don't miss those calories at all.

After taking out the massive snacking, I now eat everything I did before at meal times. I think the portions are the same or only slightly smaller. I'm lucky because I like to cook and most of my stuff is low cal naturally (except my chicken tikka masala... sigh) so this hasn't been hard at all except for a day or two of having odd cravings for stuff I haven't eaten in years. I mean, I ate Froot Loops for breakfast with my daughter this morning. It's not the healthiest breakfast, but I didn't feel guilty because I logged it. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't really that many calories to sweat over.

So TL DR version -- I haven't stressed over this new way of eating much at all. It's almost exactly the old way I ate except more organized and less filler foods.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    So long as the general trend is down, I'll be happy.

Great attitude OP :flowerforyou:

Remember this throughout your journey :)
  • One_Last_Time
    One_Last_Time Posts: 125
    Options
    If you have more to lose and you just started this is normal. As long as your eating and this is natural weight loss your fine. :) Good luck and can't wait to hear more progress.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    OP.... another thing you may want to do is less the amount of weight you have to lose.... so your goal will not be so far away... after you reach it... then reset your new goal... until you reach it again...

It helps to reach goals... when dieting... keeps you motivated.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you have alot to lose, (like I did) it comes off pretty fast at first. I stopped drinking 3-4cans of pepsi (swithed to water) day, 3-4 coffee's with alot of cream and sugar (switched to tea with a splash of milk) a day, and a case of beer every weekend when I started logging and lost 5lbs a week for the first 8weeks or so. I didnt change my foods at all. 10months in, it has slowed but im sill plugging away. I weigh every morning but only log on Friday's. Good luck to you!
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I lost it fast at first but then the scale slowed way down. I've been at 190 for about 2 weeks. I've lost 37 lbs from my top weight.I celebrate each 10 lbs lost with a happy dance. Can't wait until my next Happy dance. Maybe in the morning?