Stronglifts 5 x5

Options
Skarlet13
Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
I decided that I am finally going to start lifting so I checked out videos of Stronglifts 5x5.

I have a few questions.

When it says to add 5 lbs each workout, does that mean 5 pounds per side of the bar...so 10 lbs total? Or is it 5 lbs total?

Second, it seems like such a simple workout that takes very little time. Can you really get stronger doing this, even though it takes such little time?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    5 pounds total. 2.5 pound plates on both sides.

Very early on, the workouts will be fairly quick. But later, when you start doing multiple warm-up sets and resting 2 minutes between work sets, it'll be a challenge to finish in an hour.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you rick! Much appreciated.

Another question....if I wanted to do this at home, what kind of equipment would I need and roughly how much would it cost? At the moment I'm a gym member but am wondering if it would be worth the investment to get my own equipment.

And could I do this forever or would I have to move onto something more challenging?
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you rick! Much appreciated.

Another question....if I wanted to do this at home, what kind of equipment would I need and roughly how much would it cost? At the moment I'm a gym member but am wondering if it would be worth the investment to get my own equipment.

And could I do this forever or would I have to move onto something more challenging?
    Look around for used equipment on Craiglslist or other classifieds. You can purchase used for much cheaper than new. It does not have to be pretty, just heavy. You need a sturdy bench and can get away with squat stands instead of investing in a power rack. Just make sure the stands have safety catches and are adjustable. You can find 300 lb used Olympic weight sets for pretty reasonable prices, but if you are going to go with something brand new, you can get starter sets for a reasonable price from ****'s Sporting Goods and other box sporting goods stores like them. You can also get Olympic sets with only 225 lbs of weight which is a good set for a beginning female lifter. If you already have access to a gym, I would recommend you give lifting a go for a few months to see if it is something you will stick with before buying a bunch of gear.

As for can you do SL5x5 forever. At some point 5x5 will become too much and your gains will slow which after a few re-sets on your weight you will be ready to move on to an intermediate program. But you can milk out gains on linear progression type programs for quite a while. Do yourself a favor and buy the book Starting Strength as there is a ton of good information on the lifts you will be doing on Stronglifts. Actually there is little difference between Stronglifs and Starting Strength. The difference being that SL5x5 has you doing two extra sets. But given time, you will drop to 3x5 just like in SS. The only other difference in the programs is SS has a lifter doing power cleans and SL does not.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You'll need a minimum of a bench, a squat rack, a bar, and plates.

Ideally, especially if you don't have someone to spot for you, get a power rack. A decent adjustable bench, and an inexpensive 300-pound Olympic barbell set are great to have. Whatever you get, make sure your racks are the right size for your bar.

If you're willing to shop craigslist or garage sales for a few months, you can pick up stuff really cheap. If you're lucky, you can get really good equipment for next to nothing.

An new, inexpensive 300-pound Oly barbell set will set you back $200-$250. I've seen power racks for as low as $400, and benches around $200. I don't know how fast you're going to out-grow a cheap rack/bench, but a cheap oly barbell set will last you a long time.