Thoughs about Belviq

Options
Someone posted to another thread a suggestion of a new weighloss drug called Belviq. I'm very leary of drugs and surgical intervention for my journey on weight loss so I'm not so sure about it. With medications I'm afraid of addiction or messing with my other medications (I take two depression medications and have tried in the past to come off of them and could not so I have to keep taking them). With surgery, well, I'm afraid of surgery. I know people personally that have had the surgery and it was a good thing for them because they were on a ton of medicines for high blood pressure, diabetes, etc, etc. I'm not currently on something like that so I'm holding off on that suggestion. Anyways...what are your thoughts on Belviq? Is anyone taking it and how is it helping them?

Replies

• JodieDeeS
    JodieDeeS Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it for a week and feel completely normal. I have lost 5 lbs- if that matters.

The first 24 hours I was light-headed and then had a day's headache-- all are normal side effects. Since those first 48 hours, I feel great. The toughest challenge has been to EAT enough!! I am completely full with about 700 cals a day and that is not healthy. I have added 2 mandatory snacks (high protein) to help get in the calories up to 1200-1300 a day which is still low. I have not changed my exercise yet but 100% will after the trial period (free 15 days).

I did a lot of research and read forums all over the internet. Do your own research especially since there is ample information about Belviq's reaction to other medications for depression. You can find it right on their site.

Do not others (including pushy members on this site) sway you away from a conversation with your doctor and trying this medication. I have been a long time user of MFP and often have started and then stopped. Just because I do not have time to post all day/night, doesn't mean I am salrs rep!! I come here to get guidance and hear about other's experiences.

Feel free to email me. Happy to chat.
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello there. I posted about this in another thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1214502-belviq-will-it-be-safe-or-will-i-be-sorry

Like JodieDees said, talk to your doctor because they will be able to account for your medical history. A free trial is available as well, with a prescription. That's how I got started with it.

Let us know what you end up deciding, and how it works out for you. :-)
  • Kisha352
    Kisha352 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have taken it for 40 days. My start weight was around 260-257 and now im 241.5. I do like it... I am almost out so I will have to refill soon, my insurance does not cover it so its out of pocket. But its working...
  • jrbecker76
    Options
    jen7eleven - I'm curious how your first few days are going on Belviq thus far.