strengthening knees

Options
About a year ago I almost tore my acl and because I had to stay off it for awhile I developed tendinitis in it. It hasnt acted up in awhile but I cant put as much pressure on it while working out. Squats and lunges affect it the most. What can I do to help strengthen the muscles around my knee? I recently incorporated biking on a stationary bike into my workout to see if that will help. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I have no help to offer. But, I want to lurk, to see what is suggested.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Well squats and lunges do it. You may need to modify a bit, but incorrect form is usually the reason most people injure their knees with squats and lunges. Get an experienced pro to check your form and make corrections if needed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    What can I do to help strengthen the muscles around my knee?

Whatever a doctor or physical therapist recommends, after assessing you. I wouldn't try any exercises recommended by us anonymous strangers without first asking a medical professional, because it could make your knee worse.

How did you almost tear your ACL?
  • kawa_j93
    kawa_j93 Posts: 22
    Options
    Well squats and lunges do it. You may need to modify a bit, but incorrect form is usually the reason most people injure their knees with squats and lunges. Get an experienced pro to check your form and make corrections if needed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Its usually the general movement of moving my knee to the bent position. I generally can't keep my knee bent for a period of time, even just sitting.
  • kawa_j93
    kawa_j93 Posts: 22
    Options
    What can I do to help strengthen the muscles around my knee?

Whatever a doctor or physical therapist recommends, after assessing you. I wouldn't try any exercises recommended by us anonymous strangers without first asking a medical professional, because it could make your knee worse.

How did you almost tear your ACL?

College softball, over extended my knee and slipped while going for a grounder
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Certainly Physical Therapy was part of your recovery? If not, that would be the best recommendation. Gradual stretching to improve ROM would seem to be most recommended. If you cannot adequately flex your knee without a load, it would not be recommended to introduce a load I would not think. Then again, I am not a PT.

For me, when I allowed my weight to get out of control (BMI 43 at 344 lbs), I had significant knee pain. As I lost weight and started doing leg extensions and leg presses and walking I was able to increase what I did. As it has turned out, as I re-introduced running and squats, my knees have continued to improve... but it has taken a couple of years to get there. Gradual progress.
  • RavenNevermore15
    RavenNevermore15 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I almost tore my acl and because I had to stay off it for awhile I developed tendinitis in it. It hasnt acted up in awhile but I cant put as much pressure on it while working out. Squats and lunges affect it the most. What can I do to help strengthen the muscles around my knee? I recently incorporated biking on a stationary bike into my workout to see if that will help. Any other suggestions?

Hi kawa_j93! Sounds like you and I are two peas in a bum knee pod!! I had to go to physical therapy for my left knee and here's what they had me do:
    Leg lifts (3 sets of 10) in each direction for my knee. Just the regular old laying down on your side and with your foot flexed, don't flex/lock your quad, just soft tension on the muscle. Each direction 3 sets of ten: outer and inner thigh, front raise while lying on your back and straight raise when lying on your stomach.
    Clamshells (3 sets of 10)
    Bridges with a soft playground ball between my knees (3 sets of 10)
    Step downs - had me stand on a small block and lower myself down (think like you're going to step sideways down a stair then change your mind and lift back up to the step you are on.

After a few weeks they had me progress to using low weight ankle weights for my leg lifts and a therapy band around my thighs during clamshells. Then they had me progress to wall squats assisted with a stability ball between my back and the wall. Then they had me add in stationary bike and light work on a stair stepper.

Please message me if you have any questions!! I know where you're coming from!!