Annoying people offering diet advice

I keep my dieting to myself for various reasons, not least of which (seeing as EVERYBODY seems to know about it now) is people - and I know 1 or 2 - who always say "should you be eating that?" Followed by "only trying to help".

I am sick of explaining that I fit in every bit of food I eat to my calorie allowance, so if I have, say, some cheese on my pasta, or something that is not a rice cake (which one particular workmate assumes is the only thing dieters should eat), its because I can. But it makes me feel like I should be eating what people expect me to be eating.

I don't pander to them, just find it annoying.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Most people think that a diet is about being deprived of anything enjoyable.

It is annoying, but some people don't know any better, they don't know that the best way to lose fat is the way that we intend to maintain the loss going forward, they don't know that its best to incorporate now the foods we intend to eat in the future. It's about moderation and not being deprived.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    My Mom gave me some advice as a young bride many years ago. She said when people give you unsolicited advice, just smile and say, "Thanks for the advice". It shuts them down from long, tedious explanations of their thoughts and then you can do what you want.

It works every time. :drinker:
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    My Mom gave me some advice as a young bride many years ago. She said when people give you unsolicited advice, just smile and say, "Thanks for the advice". It shuts them down from long, tedious explanations of their thoughts and then you can do what you want.

It works every time. :drinker:
    Great advice - I'll have to remember this!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I always ask them if they think Hercules and Xena care what they think.

Hercules and Xena are my quads.- point and flex while you do this.

ask them how their last- dead lift- run- walk- whatever went?

like "I can dead lift 300 lbs at this point- what's your one rep max again???"

Or" I'm going poop at 3 PM- I can come back and give you a full write up since you seem to be so interest in my diet and GI track"

"I'm sorry you're life is so boring you need to be up in my buisness"

"when I want to look like you- I'll eat like you" (obviously this one you must use judiciously and not pull it our randomly"

"You know- i've managed to lose XXX pounds doing what I'm doing and have managed just fine without you- but thank you for your advice"

You know that sweater makes you look fat/sallow/jaundice/fill in the blank...
    and when they look offended say
    "oh I'm sorry I thought it was the part of the day where we give out unwanted unsolicited advice... .it's not? oh well" my bad.

good luck!!!!
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    I wish you worked in my office!