Running watch?

Options
Now that I am actually jogging on a regular basis, I really need a running watch. Can any of you help me? I've been running with my only watch, which is nice, and metal, and which irritates my skin when I get sweaty...definitely not ideal. I also want to be able to track my workouts/intervals/etc. more closely, so that I can see whether I'm actually making progress. Plus, I'm about 90% sure I'm going to sign up for a half-marathon in June, and I really want to be able to train effectively.

I'd love to hear about your sports watches if you are happy with yours. My ideal budget is $70 or less, although I'd be willing to go up to $100 if I found something I really liked. I've already found a few I'm considering; a couple from Timex and one from Garmin, but customer reviews on them are so varied that I'd like some more input from y'all.

Things I want:
Timers/alarms for interval training
Some kind of workout memory so that I can keep track
I'd love to be able to track my distance--but I know that's expensive, so I'm willing to let that one go.

Things I don't care much about one way or the other:
HRM/calorie tracking--even though I'm still working on losing weight, it's not so important to me how quickly I lose it anymore...I'm really getting more into meeting fitness goals.

Thanks in advance for your help! I really appreciate it!

Replies

• junebug523
    Options
    Oh, so sad! :cry: No one has responded in two hours. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.:ohwell:
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delay! I saw this in the AM but was running off to work and did not get a chance to reply.

I have had a Polar (forget the model number, but pretty basic) and a Garmin Forerunner 305.

I have not used the Polar in a while so I don't recall all of the functions it possessed, but I really liked it - nice HRM (with chest strap...important for HRM accuracy!) reasonable display, and pretty friggin' simple. All in all not a bad thing...I think it ran me about $90 USD at the time?

The Garmin was a present, so not totally sure on the price, but it is EXCELLENT. I really really do like it. The wrist portion is a bit larger than most workout watches, but the display is customizable for up to four things? (Time/Dist/Speed/HR/Cals, etc) and it has all those nifty features of comparing to previous runs, setting alarms etc. ...(and GPS) The other great thing is it comes with software and I synch it with my computer, so all my workouts are there! I can see how I am progressing and what is changing and all manner of things I probably should read the manual and find out about!

Hunt around, you might be able to find some good deals on stuff, esp if you look at buying previous years models instead of the brand newest toys out there.

Hope this helps!

^_^
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hi Junebug

I have a Ruby heart rate monitor watch ( i never use the chest band anymore it just annoys me and feels uncomfortable on long runs) which has all the basic functions but does not have a memory of previous runs. I log onto mapometer.com and log my runs on there, you track distance and time. you can store runs that you do regularly.

If i were to buy a new watch now i would def get a garmin (not the 405 - too expensive, the older versions are just as good only bigger!) as they are so easy to keep track of your runs when you upload into to a computer. The gps watches track distance and also have a 'training partner' function which is really good. My running partner has one and he never runs without it. I'm signing up for a few 20 mile + runs next year so really want one too to help increase pace and distance.

But you can just start writing runs down in a diary and track time and distance that way, I used to get my husband to drop me off 5 miles from home and i'd run back and just time it, then try beat my time the next run.

Good luck with your training.

sarah