Weight lifting shoes - what type is best?

Options
I am starting out on NROL and I had read that it is best to lift in flat shoes, but I have slightly flat feet and find that without the structure of a good trainer my knee alignment isn't great and I am a little worried about injury in squats and lunges.

Is it ok to weight train in trainers, or are there any recommendations for shoes or trainers with a solid sole but still good insteps?

All suggestions welcomed :o)

Replies

• jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    olympic shoes are best for squats. i wear addidas powerlift 2.0 for them. for everything else or just your average gym goer then anything with a firm flat sole. like chuck taylors, vans, supra, etc.... you really dont want a "tennis shoe" because the sole will have compression under loads and will give less support as the weights increase.
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pointer. Adidas seem to have a decent range of lifting shoes. I will definitely check them out. :o)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Converse. I have been using my running shoes, b/c I wasn't lifting a ridiculous amount of weight. I'm switching to Converse next week. My husband switched to Chucks a few months ago and is much happier.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I use Converse for powerlifting and general weightlifting. Those are my go-to shoes. However, if I'm front squatting, overhead squatting, snatching, or cleaning and jerking, I use an Olympic lifting shoe. They make a huge difference. If you don't Olympic lift though, you will do fine in Converse. I would go Adidas again for an Oly shoe and that is what I will buy when my current Oly shoes wear out.
  • coachbennettlhs
    coachbennettlhs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you squat fairly narrow (just outside shoulder width) then a shoe with a slightly elevated heal is best. The elevated heal helps compensate for pelvic tilt. As stated above, I also use the Adidas Powerlift 2.0 for front and back squats and Olympic lifts. For wide squatters and for deadlifting, use flat sole shoes. I always use wrestling shoes for deadlifting in competition and I love them.
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am at a very low weights range but will definitely look at getting some appropriate footwear soon.
    Thanks for the tips o)
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I use a heeled o-lifting shoe for bench and squat and merrell trail gloves for deadlifts. Converse work as well for deadlift. For squat I prefer o shoes because they give a lot of support and minimize lateral foot movement. I feel like my feet are nailed to the floor.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Glad you mentioned Merrell. I wear the Pace Glove and it's perfect for me. It's a thin, 2mm Vibram rubber.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I wear (UK) army boots - mostly because I tend to be wearing them anyway.

They're stiff soled and offer plenty of support. Do have a slightly elevated heel, however some googling revealed Mark Rippetoe seemed to think they were a reasonably choice, so haven't bothered to try and find something else.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The main thing you need to know is to avoid using running shoes, or any sort of squishy shoe. These will greatly reduce your stability, and it's arguably dangerous once the weights get heavy. Good lifting shoes are low to the ground (most critical for deadlifts), and provide grip and stability.

You should know that if you use shoes with a raised heel like adipowers, it will make deadlifts more difficult. If you can develop sufficient mobility to hit depth with flat shoes, dedicated squat shoes are optional. Though I understand almost all top powerlifters use squat shoes with a raised heel.

These are what I currently use for all my lifts, including squats.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGPSB7U/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I lifted in chucks for many months prior to that, and also recommend those.