Do you think my Goal is a realistic one?

Options
Having asked on my actual page , i wanted to a the general opinion of a few others.

I'm 13 stone 8 at the moment , total weight lost 70 pounds in about a year and a half. I i really want to be down to 11 stone in 3 months time , i can do that healthy right? The 70 pounds i lost was done threw hard work and exercise and a balanced diet. I just wanted to see if anyone else thought it was realistic , i'm going on holiday in august and i want to burst with confidence and i cant see that happening unless i achieve my weight loss goal.

Replies

• 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Can you put that in English? I have no idea what a stone is, so I don't know how much you're asking to lose in three months
  • TonyPillz
    TonyPillz Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    11 stone = 154 pounds the weight i want to get to in 3 months.
    13 stone 8 = 182 pounds the current weight i am now.

= I want to loose 42 pounds off my current weight which is above in 3 months,
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    11 stone = 154 pounds the weight i want to get to in 3 months.
    13 stone 8 = 182 pounds the current weight i am now.

= I want to loose 42 pounds off my current weight which is above in 3 months,

no it's not realistic..that is 3.5lbs a week. YOu would have to have a big deficit and/or do lots of exercise.

aiming for 1lb a week is more realistic...
  • katsiano
    katsiano Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What's your height?
    That's over 10 pounds a month, healthy and maintainable weight loss is usually no more than 2 pounds a week (~.15 stone a week). I know you want to be bursting with confidence and I understand that, but what's even more important is that you get there and that you get to a point where you're comfortable with how you look no matter what the number says, because putting such a huge goal on yourself in such a limited time will only make you feel like a failure if you don't hit it. You succeed every day that you eat healthy and make good choices and are working towards that goal, even if you don't hit it by a certain time. 2 pounds/.15 stone a week is the max you should aim for, and even when you start getting closer to your goal it's suggested to scale back to 1 pound (.07 stone) a week then .5 pound (.035 stone) a week for the last 5 (~.4 stone) pounds or so.

ETA: I'm not trying to be rude but I laughed out loud when the guy asked to translate it to english because stone is used in the UK. Just found it funny!
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ETA: I'm not trying to be rude but I laughed out loud when the guy asked to translate it to english because stone is used in the UK. Just found it funny!

Me too! As an English person, I have to use my computer's calculator when people on here say "I'm 120 lbs", "I'm 186 pounds" etc, and divide it by 14 to make sense of it!

I think the guy means "Yo, MAAAN, speak American!"
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh, and sorry - OP - no, I don't think that's very realistic. If you ate hardly anything and exercised all day you might do it, but you'd mess up your metabolism.
  • katsiano
    Options

Me too! As an English person, I have to use my computer's calculator when people on here say "I'm 120 lbs", "I'm 186 pounds" etc, and divide it by 14 to make sense of it!

I think the guy means "Yo, MAAAN, speak American!"

Hahaha yep! I'm American, but my boyfriend is Swedish so I'm very used to using google to convert temperature/weight/currency/basically everything because America isn't on the metric system! Google makes it so easy, you can just type 1 stone to pounds and it gives you a little converter, it does that for pretty much everything it's great
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    No I don't think it's realistic goal.

I don't think it's a good idea. Go have fun on your vacation, no matter what you weigh.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    182 - 154 = 28 Lbs. (not 42) Just pointing it out. Good luck! :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    10lbs a month? If you were well over 230lbs then yes. But once you get under 200lbs, it gets dicey. Calorie deficit would have to be really high and chance of losing lean muscle at a higher rate increases too (which will lower your metabolic rate making it even harder to lose).
    So I'll say unrealistic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    No I don't think it's realistic goal.

I don't think it's a good idea. Go have fun on your vacation, no matter what you weigh.

Agreed.

Confidence has to come from more than your appearance. You can own a room (or a beach) with your smile, your wit, and your kindness no matter what you weigh. If people enjoy your company now, it is a good sign they will want to hang out with you when you are slimmer. Keep doing what you've been doing, take pride in your accomplishments and your progress, and enjoy your holiday.
  • katsiano
    Options
    182 - 154 = 28 Lbs. (not 42) Just pointing it out. Good luck! :smile:
    Wow you're right okay I feel dumb haha. But regardless, I went ahead and converted 13 stone 8 and 11 stone myself and I came up with 13 stone 8 as 190 lb and 11 stone as 154, which would be 36 pounds total. That would be 12 pounds a month which would be 3 pounds a week, so regardless of miscalculations there, it's still an unhealthy amount to lose within that length of time!