Lose without tracking?

Options
13»

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Most of us are here because we want to lose weight, if we were already good at losing weight without recording then we wouldn't be here in the first place.

No. This is Myfitnesspal, not MyCalorieCountingpal. People are here for different reasons. Not everyone calorie counts. Some track exercise, some just log their fluid intake, and still others are here solely for the boards, such as myself.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I lost 12kg in about half a year without logging on mfp. I pretty much just ate a diabetes type diet that was low gi
    (I don't have diabetes but I had PCOS) and that really helped me lose the weight.
    All I did was buy a couple of recipe books about low gi foods. And I always weighed my pasta portions and no other foods.
    I cut down takeaway to 1x per week, had smaller portions, switched pasta to wholegrain, rice to brown rice, and my potato varieties to lower gi. In the beginning I did little exercise, and then I joined up at a gym and I did cardio for half hour 3-4x a week, and strength training 1-2 times.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm sure lots of people do......the meal replacement shake folks, those following a very specific "diet," those cutting out a macro (low-carb) ......but for IIFYM folks....

Sure them, and just the scores of millions of human beings, across thousands of years, who lost weight before mankind knew what a calorie was.

Or the people to this day who live in societies that don't have government mandated calorie labeling, or ready access to APPs and counting tools.

I think it's important to note that all of these categories we stick people in, based off their specific dietary program, are relatively new, and relatively limited. Most human beings who have ever lost weight did so without labeled "diets", programs, or calorie counting.
  • Blackhawk2425
    Options
    I go back and forth with counting calories but really would love to just drop it. I know it works but I just feel disconnected with my hunger cues and body.

Are any of u interested in a group for those that don't track? Maybe there even is one but I couldn't find one.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    A forum for people who don't track sounds like a very interesting idea. I feel also disconnected from body cues when i count calories.

This week I focused on:

1. Eating satisfying foods
    2. Eating when hungry
    3. Not thinking I'm hungry when I'm just bored/ don't feel like starting a new task/ oh it's noon!
    4. Drinking water
    5. Using the scale for feedback

So far so good. I have had consistent small weight losses, and I feel very satisfied physically from food and much calmer and less obsessed.
  • Blackhawk2425
    Options
    Noacker sounds like you are doing awesome!!!

I will open a group (if I can as a new member) later today/tonight and post the link here.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I lost and maintained (without cutting anything out of my diet or using meal replacement shakes...LOL) without tracking calories.
  • Blackhawk2425
    Options
    Iwillendyou - that is impressive!!! Your avatar looks amazing

Here is the link to the group - hope to see lots of u there

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21632-losing-without-tracking-calories
  • TheIrish1981
    TheIrish1981 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy tracking. If I eat it....I put it down. Just the other night I was in the Taco Bell drive thru and before starting this journey I would usually get 7 or 8 taco's but I knew that if I ate it....i'd have to log it and EVERYONE WOULD SEE THE FAILURE.

You know what I did? I ordered 1 Taco ( 170 calories )
  • Blackhawk2425
    Options
    If u enjoy tracking that's great. I do well for the first four weeks or so but once I want to cook from scratch or eat out it annoys me. I am still aware of calories and do check the nutrition facts but the whole tracking process feels so unnatural to me. I just know I am not going to do it forever.

Trying to focus on habits now and using the scale for feedback.