Upper Thirty-Somethings and losing the Pounds

Options
2»

Replies

• mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    When I turned 30 I went to my dr. just for an overall health check up, her comment was "Now that you are 30 everything changes, you need to drink more water, your metabolism slows down, it's harder to exercise, blah, blah, blah" I remember at the time thinking"Lady, I don't feel any different today than I di dlast week, whatever". Now I'm getting ready to turn 37, Holy Moley, why didn't I listen to her, why, why why? Sign me up for an Oil of Olay ad, I refuse to grow old gracefully, I'm fighting it everystep of the way. I woke up this morning and my body ached from exercising yesterday, and i was grumbling as I was putting on my running shoes, thinking "It's just not fair, why is it so d*mn hard?":smile:
  • ramsam70
    ramsam70 Posts: 37
    Options
    JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU TURN 40!!!! :tongue:

well hon if I can look like you (I assume that is your photo!) I would be thrilled! Hot mama:bigsmile:

I love that we are on the same page ladies- yes, we know it is a bit harder, but YES it is worth it. These posts really have brought me comfort. Strength in numbers..... I am fightin it!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm 37, got the same story as everyone else.

Hello Back Fat! We've never met...until last year...and now you won't leave!!!!

Same with arm jiggle. Makes me crazy. I never used to have these problem areas.

I refuse to let it get to me though. My body is just different, but I still feel sexier than I've ever felt.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Anything you ladies would have told yourself at 20 or 30, knowing what you know now? Just curious (as I'm turning 32 this summer)...
    :flowerforyou:

I'm always telling my cousins in their 20's to enjoy themselves, and stop worrying about their weight and appearance and just embrace how they look! I wish I had spent my twenties enjoying my slim and "firm" figure, and worrying less about it! I try to live that way now too...
    :smile:
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    I was one of those hated people who could eat anything and never gain any weight. That lasted until I hit 45 and then oh boy did the pounds arrive! Finally at 47, I decided that enough was enough and here I am. So far it has been a struggle but definately well worth the effort since I am finally feeling good about myself again.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm 37, got the same story as everyone else.

Hello Back Fat! We've never met...until last year...and now you won't leave!!!!

Same with arm jiggle. Makes me crazy. I never used to have these problem areas.

I refuse to let it get to me though. My body is just different, but I still feel sexier than I've ever felt.

That's so funny......I waved at someone one day and felt the arm jiggle and was like "what the hell is that!?" And the back fat, too......it has definitely moved in for good. :ohwell:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is so much easier to gain and so much harder to lose weight as you age but it is not impossible. I am 44 and right now I am feeling like I am in my late 20's early 30's!! So keep up the good work, you will get there. I hear a lot of people blame their weight to pregnancies and age when all they have to do is to focus on good nutrition and continue exercising. When we have our families and when we get older we tend to focus more on others than ourselves and that is when the weight starts creeping up. Don't despair!!! And all of you 30 somethings and up look terrific!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mhenry557
    mhenry557 Posts: 8
    Options
    Girl, you and I have the same problem areas. I'm 36, 37 in August, with two kids, 6 and 3, and as much running around and lifting with them, my triceps are in the worst shape. That fat just above the elbow is the bane of my existence! LUckily, I am seeing improvement in inches where I can't in pounds. Been on the calorie counting/exercise now for 3 1/2 weeks, my goal is .9 lbs per week until my birthday in August, so I guess I'm on track with that, starting at 148 and I'm between 144 and 145 now. Still, I would like to see more of a weight reduction. My 20's were all about tennis, walking and The FIRM workouts at least 3 times a week. Married at 31 with a baby the first year. My daughter came along 3 years later when I was still 20 lbs heavier than my pre first pregnancy weight. I can honestly say that the last 10 lbs came out of nowhere in the last year. That's what motivated me to get off the binge diets and do something healthy with this one.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: yes i have seen that being 35 is a bad thing with weight.. not loking forward to gettiong any older!!!!:huh: i am trying so hard to lose this weight it seems harder every day i just keep trudging along:drinker:
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I hear "snap/crackle/pop" as soon as start getting out of bed:mad:
    41 here for me one last hoorah :drinker:
  • BigCityKittyz
    BigCityKittyz Posts: 378
    Options
    39 going on the BIG 4-0 here and EVERYTHING i eat is sticking like glue! Gain pounds just looking at Fries....oh, and I love FRIES! Alas, my son is 19 and my daughter is 16 years old....and I STILL have baby fat! LOL!

What I mean is, yippers....no excuses! I've been stuffing my pie hole and it was okay when I was excercising, and at least walking...but for 4 years after moving from sea-level to the mountains, and I can't stand COLD...I've basically gotten L-A-Z-Y!

I know I've been working longer hours but there is 24 hours in a day. I just wish I was a morning person....NOT!

Just kudos to all for recognizing the need to move and get healthy. WE all want to be around healthy and enjoying grandkids and being able to keep up with life in general.

I know it seems like just yesterday when we were all fit and wouldn't have even imagined joining a fit-ness motivational community but the fact is we are all here and honestly, I can't do it alone. It's great to know you all are out there fighting the fat too!

"It's not that some people have willpower--and some don't. It's that some people are READY to change.....and others are not!" Change your thoughts and you can change your world!

Too late is in the grave you all.....keep at it!:wink:
  • bloomin11
    bloomin11 Posts: 8
    Options
    :huh: DID YOU ALSO KNOW THAT YOU'RE BRAIN STARTS SHRINKING WHEN YOU TURN 30?! THAT'S RIGHT! MAYBE WE JUST FORGET THAT WE'VE ALREADY EATEN... OR THINK WE'VE ALREADY EXERCISED....
    LOL - THERE'S NO POINT IN CRYING:laugh:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    :huh: DID YOU ALSO KNOW THAT YOU'RE BRAIN STARTS SHRINKING WHEN YOU TURN 30?! THAT'S RIGHT! MAYBE WE JUST FORGET THAT WE'VE ALREADY EATEN... OR THINK WE'VE ALREADY EXERCISED....
    AAHH! That's the problem then:smile::laugh: :smile: :laugh:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Anything you ladies would have told yourself at 20 or 30, knowing what you know now? Just curious (as I'm turning 32 this summer)...
    :flowerforyou:

I'm always telling my cousins in their 20's to enjoy themselves, and stop worrying about their weight and appearance and just embrace how they look! I wish I had spent my twenties enjoying my slim and "firm" figure, and worrying less about it! I try to live that way now too...
    :smile:

I would tell you the same thing! Enjoy yourself now! You are so beautiful! And by the way, the 30's rocks! I love being in my 30's. I'm on the down slope, but I'm excited to see what the 40's has to offer!