Macro and Micro Nutrients

Options
Can some one PLEASE explain macro and micro nutrients so that even a child could understand it,. I so don't understand this. I am trying to get this right in my diet so that I can get everything in order to get back on the right track to losing the weight I need to lose to get to my goal. I want to get down to 140lbs. I am currently at 203.7lbs. I am 5'3" tall and I am doing T25 and trying to walk at least 2 to 3 times a week as well.
I need to be able to figure out how to calculate the correct amount of carbs, fat and protein in my meals not to exceed 1300 calories. I am also trying to make sure I get the proper amount of iron in my diet . I have had issues with anemia. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks. :smile:

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You don't need to calculate carbs, fat and proteins for each meal. When people talk about hitting their macros, it means hitting them over the course of the day. I suppose some people try to hit certain percentages for meals, but it is not necessary.

I have my macros set for 40c/30f/30p, but I usually end up going over on protein, hitting fat, and having carbs left over. I find lots of protein in my meals helps me feel full, as does a decent amount of fat. It works out well, because generally by the end of the day I've hit protein, but still have enough fat and carbs leftover to be able to have a treat. I'm not saying this is the best way, but this is what works for me.

As for iron, you can use MFP to track your iron intake, just go into Settings in your food diary and choose iron as one of the nutrients to be tracked. You can do a google search for foods rich in iron, my only suggestion is that you eat foods with iron along with foods that contain vitamin C because it helps with iron absorption.

I'm not sure if I gave you the answers that you wanted, but hopefully enough that you can ask more specific questions that perhaps someone smarter than me can answer. :happy:
  • keepmovinstrong
    keepmovinstrong Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you I appreciate your input. I value any info that will help me take a step in the right direction. Again thank you.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over on protein- think of it as a minimum. I am for 35p, 35f and 30c.

When you're trying to lose weight though, you need to have a caloric deficit, period. It doesn't matter what these calories are from. You could eat 1300 cal of candy bars or 1300 of chicken and veggies, and you will still lose weight (but obviously would feel much better and be healthier with the chicken).
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Macro nutrients are carbs, fat and protein
    Micro nutrients are the vitamins, iron, fibre... sugar,... your food or in other words the above contain.

You set your macro nutrient goals in MFP or you go with the default ones. The micro nutrient you can check in your app, by clicking the home button and then under the circle (macros) "nutrients".

It will tell you whether you have reached e.g. your vitamin and iron goals and how much sodium, sugar...your diet contained.

Stef.
  • chriscruz83
    chriscruz83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It all makes sense now.

Easy search string!!

Thanks all hope everyone is doing well!!
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Macro=counting grams of protein+fat +rest of daily allotment of potential can he carbs in grams

Micro= counting the calories, fiber %, mineral, vitamins, etc instead of grams of daily allotment.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am trying to get this right in my diet so that I can get everything in order to get back on the right track to losing the weight I need to lose to get to my goal. I want to get down to 140lbs. I am currently at 203.7lbs. I am 5'3" tall and I am doing T25 and trying to walk at least 2 to 3 times a week as well.

If this is your goal, I'd advise that you start by not overthinking it.

To lose weight, calories are what matter. MFP has you on a limit based on your height and goal, so log your food and try not to go over that limit. (Eating back exercise calories is fine, but you might want to only eat back half at first as many find MFP overstates them.)

Macros and micros are about health, not weight loss, and many foods don't have all micros listed so trying to count those here can be more difficult than it's worth. If you have a few things you need to watch for health reasons (like iron), I think you are better off getting a list of iron-rich foods and trying to make sure you include them frequently. Also, if you can get advice from a dietician or doctor on the best way to do that, I'd take it.

Macros are about getting enough protein, carbs, and fat and making sure you have a balanced diet. I'd focus on only calories (or at most, calories plus protein) at first to see how you are doing and only then start thinking more about macros. The right balance of macros is not precise--people differ and many people do just fine at many different levels. There's nothing magic about the MFP recommendations except they are one of many healthy options. Many people do find that watching their macros helps them understand why they are hungry, however. IME, many women (men too, but especially women) eat too little protein, are too paranoid about eating fat, and as a result end up eating a diet that is overly high in carbs and, especially, the more processed, lower fiber carbs (like white bread, sweet foods, etc.) that tend to be not particularly filling and can make your blood sugar rise and fall more rapidly in a way that for many makes them want to eat.

As a result, looking to see if you are low on fat and protein and increasing those foods if you are, and also trying to add things like vegetables, fruits, and whole grain or less processed starches can also be helpful when starting a diet.

While doing that, I'd caution you on not going overboard and cutting out foods you love to replace them all with foods you perceive as "diet" or "healthy", as that's a good way to make yourself miserable and not sustain this. I try to eat a healthful diet, but I also make eating foods I really love and enjoy a priority, since the fact is I care about food. That's one reason I got fat, but it doesn't have to be a reason I can't lose weight.

I started at 5'3 and about 220 and am now 125, so the MFP plan does work and you really don't have to overcomplicate it.