Havent lost really any weight in 10 months.. advice needed

Options
So I hit a 50 lbs loss back in Febrary. Since then I havent lost any weight, in fact I have gained weight. I back at a 40 lb loss. I workout 4 times a week. Eat well and gain or stay the same. I have indulged in the occasional scoop of peanut butter but I dont know what to do.

Any suggestions?

For excercise, I usually do eliptical for 30 min at level 9 or 10 and then weights every other day.
I am a big girl. 254 lbs and feel there is NO reason for this. My dr says my blood work looks perfect, which is nice but I dont understand what is going on.

I am wanting ideas or suggestions.
Thanks!

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    You may have to do more cardio. Thirty minutes a couple days a week is really not enough once your body gets used to it. They say that 60 minutes 5-6 days a week are required and you really have to watch the diet. How many and what kind of calories are you eating. Are you counting or just eating healthy? Keeping the weight loss happening is really hard. I stalled out after about six months and finally had to increase my cardio and decrease my calories. Now the weight is coming off again. Good luck and keep trying.
  • cehrenhaus
    Options
    See if you can shock your body. I've been trying to loose 10 pounds like... forever, and I got stuck at 5. recently I got sick and my stomach has been so bad that I have not been eating meat for the last 2 weeks, I lost 5 pounds in two weeks! I am not saying to keep an unhealthy diet, but maybe if you get rid of meat, replacing it for beans and other protein for a week or two your body will respond.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    First...congrats on the weight loss to begin with! That's a major accomplishment...don't write it off just because you've gained a few pounds back. It happens to all of us.

Are you tracking your calories to know if you're burning more calories overall than what you're eating? Our bodies adapt pretty quickly to routine. In order to continue losing weight, we need to keep challenging our bodies. We need to progress. Change things up a bit! Try an aerobics class instead of the elliptical, or go to the stairstepper...add an additional day of cardio, increase your weights, etc.

Also, eat 5-6 small meals per day. That would mean eating something every 2-3 hours. Make sure you are measuring out that peanut butter! A serving size is only 2 Tbsp. but most of us tend to eat WAY more than that. That's one of those things you don't want to eat more than a serving size on. LOL! Drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep.

Make sure you are eating AT LEAST 1200 calories per day...that includes your exercise calories. Do you use a heart rate monitor?

You're doing great!!! Hang in there, change things up a little and you'll begin to lose weight again. You're worth it!!!

Tina
  • kelspa
    kelspa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've recently started a Bootcamp program and what our instructor has us do, is before we can eat anything we have to write it down, which is why I love this application!! If we don't know how many calories is in the food item, we can't eat it. You might try that. Good luck and congratulations!!
  • lsiberian
    Options
    Drop your calorie intake by 500. Make sure you aren't cheating either.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I agree with tinasulles advice wholeheartedly. You need more cardo - atleast an hour 4-5 days a week. Pick up some inexpensive DVD's at Target, Costco, Walmart - something fun and full of energy, dance to your favorite music or walk fast for 30 minutes (if weather allows). I also eat 5 meals a day - 2 small breakfasts, 2 small lunches, normal dinner - and I snack too! I work out atleast an hour usully 7 days a week with a rest day every 3-4 weeks (when my body says stop).
  • RosemarieM
    Options
    Hi, great job with your weight loss!!! I am now a stay-at -home mom, but I used to be a dietitian assistant and personal trainer. I am on here for motivation and friends. I haven't been on here long enough to know; does this program give you new calorie goals when you lose weight? If not, that can be the problem. Also, make sure you are above 1200 cals a day to avoid the starvation effect.

As far as the exercise, change things up big time! you may not even need to change the time, it may be a matter of changing the mode. Try a new cardio machine, or an exercise class, for example. You should be getting sore almost every time you work out (I know, not fun!) You could try intervals also. I know how hard it is to fit more time in for working out, so try this first.
    Rosemarie
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of the advice!

I was thinking it may be a cardio issue.
    Im looking into adding an aqua fit class and some zumba. I am also committed to doing anotehr 5K at thanksgiving with the family.

I actually have moved the peanut butter to the garage. I have 3 kids and they like it for sandwhiches but apparently I cant stay out of it. No fail environment is very important.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    Try changing up your workout routine a bit, do the elliptical for a longer amount of time on a lower resistance some days. There is also a lot of research about how effective it is to do strength training first, then cardio, so maybe on days when you do weights do a little cardio workout too. Good luck, you'll be successful :)