Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
I'd really like to invest in a good heart rate monitor. I've looked at so many reviews and they all contradict each other (marketing of course lol!)

Does anyone have a favourite product that they use and found reliable? The most important thing to me is accuracy and comfortability.

:)

Replies

• TheWorstHorse
    TheWorstHorse Posts: 185
    Options
    I am using the Suunto Quest, which I really like. This is my third HRM. First a Suunto, then Timex, now a Suunto again. I had a Polar, too, at one point but returned it after a day of use.

The best thing to do is visit someplace that has a few brands and make sure you like how the interface works. Also be sure that the watch does what you need it to do by setting it up the way you would use it in the store. The HRM functions on the leading brands are all okay; none of them are perfect.

Last tip: if you do a lot of training on the bike or run, the GPS-enabled watches are worth checking out, otherwise they are really overkill.
  • AjaGracie
    AjaGracie Posts: 7
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the response. :) I will definitely go play around with a few.
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a TomTom Cardio GPS watch. It got a great review by DC Rainmaker (awesome site for fitness product reviews). I'm going this direction for comfort. The heart rate monitor works from lights to take your pulse from the wrist. I'm looking forward to ditching the chest strap!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've used Polar and Garmin extensively. They're both excellent at monitoring your heart rate. When I test them by counting my pulse by hand, I'm within 1-2 beats of them, and I'm not sure who actually made the error. ;)

If you use or plan to use a gym, that's a point in favor of polar, as many machines are capable of reading in its values and using it directly for optimal and automatic heart rate or heart rate zone training.

I use my Garmin Forerunner (GPS watch) for hiking. I love being able to see a map of where I went along with accurate altitude, mileage, and calorie burns--this is far beyond what a Fitbit does. :)
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. I've seen people love it and hate it. It works for me.
  • ctricya
    ctricya Posts: 28
    Options
    i use the geonaute ONrhythm 310 ac
  • soozy84
    soozy84 Posts: 118
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 and I love it. It's easy to use and seems to be fairly accurate (although who knows, right?). The main thing though is I find that wearing it spurs me on to work out harder than I would otherwise, so that has to be a good thing.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What do you plan to use it for?

HRMs are designed to monitor HR. When you talk about accuracy, I assume you are referring to calories burned. The activities that you plan to use it for will factor into how accurate it will be.

You may want to read these two posts, some good info to help you know what to look for.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to relate a recent experience with Polar. I have an FT7, and my watch band broke about 4 days prior to the 2 yr warranty expiring. I sent an email to polar, and they are sending me a replacement strap, no questions, no hassle. It has worked great for the 2 yrs I have used it. Replaced the batteries once, wasn't too hard.
    Mike