what is a bad cheat day?

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
i mean how many calories over your daily goal is 'bad'... or 'worse' or 'blew it'? is 1500 calories over too much to recover from for the weekly goal? total calories as of NOW for last week 8496.. goal calories 10430. guess I answered my own question... sorry..so in theory i should still be down half a pound

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I would say a bad cheat day is a day were the caloric surplus negates the combined caloric deficit of the past week or more.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm not trying to beat myself up over a high calorie day. I just try to look at the entire week. I also have my exercise bike parked in front of the TV.... Worst case, there will be one of my favorite shows on, and a one hour ride will make up for a 500 calorie 'snack'... :wink:

Good luck with your fitness goals!
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i mean how many calories over your daily goal is 'bad'... or 'worse' or 'blew it'? is 1500 calories over too much to recover from for the weekly goal? total calories as of NOW for last week 8496.. goal calories 10430. guess I answered my own question... sorry..so in theory i should still be down half a pound

The one that makes you give up from your weight loss journey all together because you feel like you may as well give up.

Otherwise, it is not that bad.

Just go out there and kick some butt on subsequent days and try to have moderation next time (at least that's what I told myself this morning after my food hang over)
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i burned 1720 calories last week, so in theory I should have lost a whole pound.... hmmmmmm... plugging away.. thanks for the thoughts
  • Eville140
    Eville140 Posts: 1
    Options
    I understand the whole 3500cal equalling a pound. But lets just say you just go out and completely demolish your daily goal. I'm talking like eating a 10,000cal pie or something like that, now I'm pretty sure you won't instantly gain 3# by the next morning that took you weeks to loose. I know it wouldn't be good, but won't a great deal of that kinda slip through. I have never done this, but have had some bad days when somebody makes one of those "Sex in a Pan" pie dealies that throws me a good 1500+ over and it's never made the scale move and normally my loses stayed going on as normal.
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    This!!

The one that makes you give up from your weight loss journey all together because you feel like you may as well give up.

Otherwise, it is not that bad.

Just go out there and kick some butt on subsequent days and try to have moderation next time (at least that's what I told myself this morning after my food hang over)
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    i burned 1720 calories last week, so in theory I should have lost a whole pound.... hmmmmmm... plugging away.. thanks for the thoughts

In theory being keyword. Nothing is exact. Your water weight is always changing and your actual weight constantly fluctuates. Your calories will never be exact and nor will your expenditures.

Just keep doing what you're doing and unless you eat so much you die or have a serious health issue, you're okay.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    A bad cheat day is one that deposits a steaming pile of guilt on your front door step.

If youre going to cheat on your food limit, thoroughly enjoy it, and don't do it more often than not.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    >5000 calories.
  • Heaven2017
    Heaven2017 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with what someone else said.. generally a bad cheat day is one that has any power over you not to continue on your journey and jump right back on the horse. The cheat doesn't matter. Expect them to happen.. you can't be perfect all the time. That's crazy. It's not the cheat it's the not jumping right back on the horse that will get ya every time. It took me years to learn this!
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Any and all cheat days are bad cheat days. They are stupid and counterproductive and they make people feel worse. Why set yourself back?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    One where I am left feeling too hungover the next day, from all the sugar, to do my usual workouts.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    Any and all cheat days are bad cheat days. They are stupid and counterproductive and they make people feel worse. Why set yourself back?

Go away.
    No one wants to be made to feel bad by someone who spends every moment of their life obsessing over whether their macros are met.
    Enjoying yourself once in awhile won't set you back, in fact, I feel more motivated than ever now that I've enjoyed myself today so
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Go away.
    No one wants to be made to feel bad by someone who spends every moment of their life obsessing over whether their macros are met.
    Enjoying yourself once in awhile won't set you back, in fact, I feel more motivated than ever now that I've enjoyed myself today so

I echo this sentiment.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

You should try going over your calories once and awhile, maybe you'll quit being so angry.
  • buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would say a bad cheat day is a day were the caloric surplus negates the combined caloric deficit of the past week or more.

Sorry to bump in, but Is there anywhere to view what your weekly numbers are - eg the weekly net vs weekly goal etc? I can see, when I log in, todays net, aim etc, but not sure where to view the weekly data...

As far as cheat days - OP, I imagine you (like me!) are in it for the long haul... The reality is that life will bring cheat days - whether these are binges, or special occasions (birthdays etc). My plan (I'm still getting used to this) is to limit them, but also to try and log as accurately as possible. As time goes on, you'll start collecting more data, you'll be able to look back at weeks that didn't really show a loss of weight, and be able to identify what it was that slowed the weight loss down. Hopefully, armed with that info, you'll be able to make more informed food choices next time the opportunity to "cheat" next arrises...
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Go away.
    ^^ This ^^ Well said
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

You should try going over your calories once and awhile, maybe you'll quit being so angry.

That's what I was thinking!!!