How do you deal with get togethers?

2»

Replies

• MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Offer to take something delicious and healthy that you can enjoy. Make that thing 80% of your meal. Let the other 20% be a small portion of everything else. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    Log as closely as you can, eat smaller portions of the things you enjoy.

I agree with this, and I think you have been given a lot of great advice already. I usually look at any situation like this from the standpoint of "what's worth it?" and indulge in the 1-2 things that I really, truly enjoy the taste of...and avoid things I don't. I also have a light breakfast and lunch in preparation for a bigger evening meal than normal and/or alcohol.

I personally would NOT eat before attending, though. I'm sure that works out for some people but it just would not work out well for me, because even if I ate a healthy meal beforehand and managed to avoid all of the food there I would wind up feeling odd or resentful and I wouldn't enjoy that at all!

The advice about making some healthier options is great, especially since this is an every week thing and not a one time occurrence or holiday meal. My husband and I go to my mom's house for dinner once a week and that's what we do. She bakes yummy desserts and we always indulge in a small serving (or two) but we purposely avoid some of the richer, saltier, high fat stuff that she makes by taking miniscule portions or skipping it...and bringing along veggies and other stuff to round out the meals.

Good luck!
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Are you super close with these people? Be up front with them. Let them know that you are trying to change your eating habits to help you lose weight (for heaven's sake, don't say that you are trying to eat healthy or you run the risk of offending your friends) and that it would really help you to know what everyone will be bringing in advance so you can plan accordingly. Then log your day as best you can. Maybe you could even be a catalyst to turn these gatherings around a little bit so that the food is planned differently; maybe agree to try different recipes each week and assign dishes that way.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Are you super close with these people? Be up front with them. Let them know that you are trying to change your eating habits to help you lose weight (for heaven's sake, don't say that you are trying to eat healthy or you run the risk of offending your friends) and that it would really help you to know what everyone will be bringing in advance so you can plan accordingly. Then log your day as best you can. Maybe you could even be a catalyst to turn these gatherings around a little bit so that the food is planned differently; maybe agree to try different recipes each week and assign dishes that way.

Yes. Do you have an email list for your group that gets together? Maybe you could suggest that everyone emails what dish they are bringing the day before, and you'll be able to plan for it better.

Also, can you have the gathering at your house sometimes so you have access to all your healthy foods?
  • katef66
    katef66 Posts: 7 Member
    Kristen, I treat Thursday night dinners as my cheat meal when I go. I have one each week. I keep the portions in mind and eat mostly veggies and I don't feel guilty about it.

Kate! (for some reason I totally spaced you were on MFP)

That's a really good idea. So, you have one cheat meal per week. Is that difficult? Or not so much with your schedule?

I have one each week...my schedule doesn't mess it up too much..it's usually on Tuesdays or Thursdays depending on my rotation. It's actually easier for me to stay on track on work days because I have to bring all of my food for the day with me because my shift is 12 hours long. But since I stay on track I really, really look forward to my cheat meal and it helps me focus on eating right in the meantime!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Couple methods you can try:

1. Eating less that day and being aware of what you eat at the get together.
    2. Plan for additional exercise.
    3. Make up the deficit throughout the week.
    4. All of the above.