How do I weigh my food and record it accurately?

Options
Sorry for the beginner question. This may be obvious but am I missing something? Or is there a way to change serving sizes? For example... Lets say I eat cereal and a serving is 3/4 cup (28 grams.) Up until now, I have weighed out 28 grams and recorded it in MFP as Honey Nut Cheerios 3/4 cup. But what if I want 35 grams? Can I adjust the serving size somehow? And is it on all devices (phone, iPad and desktop)?

Lastly, I have seen 100 grams of chicken when looking thru the food database. How do people input this and know the macro-nutrients?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your second question but your first question is easy - you can scroll down where the serving thing is and get a drop down box and change the amount of serving by a fraction - ie if the serving size is 100g and you are having 200g enter it as 2 servings, if you are having 50g enter it as 1/2 serving etc.

This works on both my desk top computer and my ipad.
  • kyoshiwarrior
    kyoshiwarrior Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I either find a listing that's already in grams, change the servings of box to 1g, and enter the number of grams, or I do some math. For example, 28 g of Cheerios has 110 cals. 110 divided by 28 equals 3.93, so 1g has 3.93 cals. 35 times 3.93 equals 137.55, so 35g of Cheerios is 137.55 cals. If you want that in servings, 137.55 divided by 110 equals 1.25, so 1.25 servings.

Also, 35g divided by 28g is 1.25 servings.

The easiest way is just to find something already in grams, obviously.
  • mbmillr
    mbmillr Posts: 28
    Options
    Not sure about your second question but your first question is easy - you can scroll down where the serving thing is and get a drop down box and change the amount of serving by a fraction - ie if the serving size is 100g and you are having 200g enter it as 2 servings, if you are having 50g enter it as 1/2 serving etc.

This works on both my desk top computer and my ipad.

I knew you could change the serving size and I do that but I wanted to know more how to change the serving size, not the number of servings. I am not great in math so if I do it that way I can mostly just do 0.5 for half a serving or double the serving.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitnessfactreview.com/the-art-science-of-calorie-counting/

Try this link, it's got tips and it's based on MFP's database.
  • mbmillr
    Options
    I either find a listing that's already in grams, change the servings of box to 1g, and enter the number of grams, or I do some math. For example, 28 g of Cheerios has 110 cals. 110 divided by 28 equals 3.93, so 1g has 3.93 cals. 35 times 3.93 equals 137.55, so 35g of Cheerios is 137.55 cals. If you want that in servings, 137.55 divided by 110 equals 1.25, so 1.25 servings.

Lol just reading that confused me kinda. I wish there were an easier way!
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm usually using my phone when entering the information. I will choose an entry that has a grams or oz listing then just do the math so I can enter the servings as a decimal. I usually have siri do the math or quickly punch it into the calculator.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

:laugh:

I'm not a math person but it gets easier. That's how I do it too.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

Here's an easier way.
    Your serving size is 28 g.
    You weighed out 35 g.
    35 - 28 = 7.
    7/28 = 1/4.

You had 1 1/4 servings of cereal.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Oh as far as your chicken question-- they enter the data from the usda database generally.
  • kyoshiwarrior
    Options
    I think it's kinda fun. :smile:
  • kyoshiwarrior
    Options
    35/28 = 1.25

Easier.
  • mbmillr
    Options
    http://www.fitnessfactreview.com/the-art-science-of-calorie-counting/

Try this link, it's got tips and it's based on MFP's database.

Thank you. Some interesting ones. Esp...

Never, ever, use normal silverware to estimate a teaspoon or tablespoon, they are not even close. (Was using eating spoons)
  • Pamelicious1988
    Pamelicious1988 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use a calculator to figure out more or less than one serving when it's not obvious (e.g., two servings, half of one). It becomes second nature. So if you have 12 grams of an item that's listed at 28 grams, just divide 12 by 28.
  • mbmillr
    Options

Here's an easier way.
    Your serving size is 28 g.
    You weighed out 35 g.
    35 - 28 = 7.
    7/28 = 1/4.

You had 1 1/4 servings of cereal.

Thank you!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If you find entries that someone made from the nutrition labels there is usually a 1 g option as well as the serving size option of your 28 g - if you don't think it's accurate then enter your own information for your product using the nutrition label. You can view and confirm the data also. So view the information and compare it to your label to make sure.
  • mbmillr
    Options
    Another ? Are things like oatmeal or pasta weighed before or after cooking? For instance a serving size of spaghetti is 2 oz? So is this like the chicken where it is best to weigh it uncooked since it will expand and the weight will change?
  • CoffeeBugg
    CoffeeBugg Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Basically you need a listing that is in grams. If you have 35 grams of cheerios, Select the 1 gram per serving amount and enter 35 for the amount of servings.

Most listings however don't have the default measurement in grams, so the 1 gram serving size thing is not an option. I often have to add my own listings into the database with the serving size listed in grams. I notice some others add listings like this as well. Just add the word "grams" to your search for the food and it will often bring up people's custom listings that are labeled as by grams
  • CoffeeBugg
    CoffeeBugg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Another ? Are things like oatmeal or pasta weighed before or after cooking? For instance a serving size of spaghetti is 2 oz? So is this like the chicken where it is best to weigh it uncooked since it will expand and the weight will change?

before.
  • mbmillr
    Options
    Just add the word "grams" to your search for the food and it will often bring up people's custom listings that are labeled as by grams

Thank you. Did not know that! So basically I would just type "Honey Nut Cheerios grams?" Much easier!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Use however it's packaged. If it's raw chicken, weigh it raw. If it's uncooked pasta, weigh it that way. The only exception is if the package says something different. Like my bacon says "2 pieces fried (34 grams)" so I fry the pieces, then I weigh out 34 grams worth.