How do you get/stay motivated?

Options

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like getting up at 5am, out on the road by 5:15am for an Ashtanga yoga class starting at 6am. I can't say I'm motivated at 4:45am when I wake just before the alarm because I know its gonna go off any minute and I want two hours (at least) more sleep.

By 8am when my session is finished I am so glad I made the effort and I'm ready to face the day. In the evening sleep comes easy because I have started the day focused on myself.

I found that the workout comes first and motivation comes afterwards, which then leads to remembering next time that although you don't want to train right now, you will be glad you did by the end of your session.

Its hard to start but motivation snowballs once you put in that initial bit of effort.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to do it.

I commute 30 mins- 1 hr every day to work and some days work 7 am to 10 pm. I take my lunch break and work out then. On weekends, I also try to get a run in when I can.

We can all find excuses as to why we can't do something, but nothing nor anyone is going to be able to keep you motivated except yourself.

Start out small, bring your gym clothes to work and change into them before you leave. That way once you get home, you can get out of the car and go for a walk. Or maybe go for a walk during your lunch break!

It takes about 2 weeks to make or break a habit, so try everyday to make a step in the right direction and soon it won't seem like such a hardship.

Good Luck.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes for sure. We all have to find our own way and reach down and grab our selves by the bootstraps and get it done.

I've had 12 hour days with long commutes and somehow I made it to the gym or found time to create and cook healthy meals. Other times when my time was plentiful...I found myself wondering where the day went and I'll get there tomorrow attitude set in. Your choice.

If you are too exhausted, you may want to look at the types of food you are consuming. If it's heavy with processed food, empty liquid calories, then start there. Make drinking water a priority and cooking vegetable and nutrient dense foods.

Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race. It'll give you a goal to strive for, and more focus on your workouts.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi! Throw in having a 1 year old and you've got my situation. bumping this topic to see whats said :)
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror......and if I really want to super-motivate myself I turn sideways and look in the mirror.

Same here. With clothes on to feel good about my progress. With clothes off to tell myself I'm not done.
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This is my first time posting so a little confused as to how it works so here goes. I also have a rough schedule and a 45 minute commute to work and I'm a single mom. My plan is to try and go for walks with my daughter on her bike. It's a slow start but it's something. I used to get up in the morning and do jillian michaels 30 day shred I remember how good I felt so my motivation is getting back that energy.

I am in a similar boat....I am a single mom, working full time and luckily out of school for summer break until Aug 25th-- I have a very hard time finding motivation but I noticed that involving my daughter not only boosts my mood it ups my motivation. She is more than willing to go walking with me or participate in a fun run 5k. She is my motivation when I am feeling down.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race. It'll give you a goal to strive for, and more focus on your workouts.

the captain said what workls for me

Once I am registered for a race, I seem to be able to work out schedules, diet, and the like! Vanity has never worked for me. Being around other people, playing sports (like softball or kickball) and being signed up for races works!

Heck I'm already registered for events next year

good luck to you
  • BelliDancer
    BelliDancer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here's my tip: just promise yourself that you will log all your foods -- even if you "break the diet". Don't have a perfectionist all-or-nothing attitude to eating. I used to think like that, but that just sets you up for pigging out and then telling yourself, "Okay, tomorrow will be the day". Sometimes that just puts way too much pressure on yourself and then you eat like you're saying goodbye to all the foods you love, and the next day you're not ready to say goodbye to them either. When logging everything becomes a habit, that raises your awareness of what you eat, and you may start to slowly make better choices. Or turn down things you wouldn't have before because you just don't want to blow your calories. Some days I don't feel motivated and I tell myself: "Do it anyway." I always feel much better the next day. The longer you can keep going the more your motivation will build. You just have to take the first steps. Good luck.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would totally be out walking and jogging before work if I lived closer. The walk during lunch is such a great idea and I've thought about it, but by lunch I'm starving and exhausted, I just want to sit and eat and cherish my 1 hour lunch. My job is a bit...physical, hence me being constantly tired.

But I guess focusing on one goal at a time is a good thing.

A one hour lunch is a blessing. That gives you plenty of time to fit in a healthy lunch to curb the hunger, rest for a few minutes, and still fit in a decent walk. With an audio book (which you can check out for free through most libraries), or some music, the walking time passes quickly and enjoyably.

ETA - you can also count the physical aspect of your job as exercise, and make sure you're operating at a calorie deficit, which will be key to weight loss.
  • lechesucio
    lechesucio Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Because I'm having a hard time. I want to change, I need to change, but I can't ever get motivated. I tell myself "Alright, today is the day!" and I end up not doing anything or breaking off the diet.

My commute to work is an hour. I get up at 5am and I'm out of the house at 6-6:30am. I would love to get up and go for a quick jog, but I also love my sleep. I don't get home until 6-7pm and by that time, I basically eat dinner and go to bed because I'm exhausted. On my days off, I basically sleep all day because I'm tired. I WANT to do something but I'm too tired to do anything.

I need to get motivated or start doing something. So my question to you guys is what do YOU do to get going? What can I do to get my butt outta bed and get going?

Starting a new habit is always the hardest, whether for the first time, or the millionth, or trying to get back on track after a weekend of slacking. My suggestion is to work with what works for you. You'll always feel like a failure if you're not a morning person and you try and fail all the time to do a morning workout. Try eating a protein snack for energy right before your commute home so you have energy to work out right when you get home. Or if you hit traffic, maybe exercise around your work to avoid sitting in traffic. I leave sneakers at my office so I can walk on my lunch hour. Sometimes around neighborhoods and sometimes I plan errands that involve walking, like a post office visit 1.5 miles away. It's motivating to maximize my time like that. I'm getting fit AND crossing 'to-do' items off. I also like to read on the treadmill/elliptical. That makes me feel like I'm doing double duty as well!!
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember where I saw this quote/saying. I've put it on my profile because I struggle with the same issue. I find it to be very true and it reminds me that usually after I get started exercising I do feel motivated to continue. Even 10 or 15 minutes here and there adds up!

"Don't sit around and wait to be motivated, chances are that won't happen. Just do it and you'll be motivated."
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't sound committed to it yet. And that's okay, but until you do, you'll find reasons/excuses/justifications for why you aren't doing what you need to be doing to meet your goals.

There are so many creative ways to sneak exercise in. Walking on lunch, going for a run in the evening, parking your car at the end of a lot and walking to the store, do squats or planks or whatever while you're watching TV. You'll be amazed at what you find time to do once you stop giving yourself an out.

This.

I've got the same schedule you do. And I used to have the same reasons you did. What woke me up was I pontificated about wanting to see my son (only child) grow to middle age with me still around.

The choices I was making reflected exactly the opposite. I put on the last 50 lbs in 10 months. I had a lot of reasons I used to avoid action, but the only person I was kidding was myself & what I was continuing to do would have probably killed me in the next 5 years. That was a rather sobering thought.

I decided to stop talking and start acting, even if it was just small things. For now, I am focusing on calorie reduction, better choices, portion control. Oddly enough, since I did those small things and started drinking a lot more water, I feel a ton better & am starting to see progress.

I REALLY get the "tired" feeling & the above small things are helping that feeling go away for the 1st time in years.

Good luck on your journey & remember that we are all here to support you if you want it. Habits are a hard thing to change, so you form new habits based on small successes. They build on themselves.

Thanks
    Chris
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror......and if I really want to super-motivate myself I turn sideways and look in the mirror.

Same here. With clothes on to feel good about my progress. With clothes off to tell myself I'm not done.

Same here! Wow, I tried on some clothes yesterday and it was kinda shocking to see how much I've let my fitness slide. Made me realize I can't just keep putting off until tomorrow what needs to have been done yesterday. And for me it's not so much getting rid of pounds (although that is also needed), but LOTS of firming up required!!! :grumble:
  • gypsyGIRL159
    gypsyGIRL159 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey! I would like to suggest that you take a B-12 supplement for a few weeks.... see if that gives you more energy to do MORE! It sounds like you might be depleted of energy and Get Up & GO! Actually, when you make a decision to do a thing.... like lose weight.... or break bad habits and make good habits its an awesome idea to write out a Plan.

KNOW THAT YOU can do what you really want to do! Just plot a course for success and set out for that DESTINATION. Look at your schedule and pinpoint the times when you can be more PRODUCTIVE. ASK FOR HELP FROM LOVED ONES - IF NEED BE! Push yourself.... (not too much too fast) just a bit here and there... so that you are encouraged and not over stimulated or over worked. Surround yourself with POSITIVE PEOPLE, WORDS OF WISDOM, AND GOAL ORIENTED THOUGHT PATTERNS!

DO YOUR RESEARCH! GET EXCITED ABOUT THIS ADVENTURE.... THIS OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE AN ADVENTURE TO WELLNESS!

Do something DAILY to reinforce your NEW LIFESTYLE! Embrace it.... see it as an OPPORTUNITY. SEIZE THE DAY TO DO WHAT YOU CAN... WHILE YOU CAN.

Be brave! :laugh: draw from yesteryear when you might have played some sport, or been involved in SOMETHING that motivated and made you feel really good and DRIVEN.

REDISCOVER YOUR PASSION! YOUR FAITH! YOUR FOCUS, AND YOUR INNER STRENGTH! MUSIC CAN REALLY BE A SOURCE OF GREAT ABILTY TO PRESS THROUGH TO SUCCESS! TRY NEW THINGS.....

BE SURE TO DISCUSS IT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE YOU MAKE THIS MOVE. THIS MATTERS! :flowerforyou:

SET YOURSELF UP FOR LASTING SUCCESS! EAT RIGHT, REST RIGHT, THINK RIGHT, DRINK RIGHT..... AND INCORPORATE THOSE NEW HABITS INTO YOUR DAILY ROUTINE. HOLD YOURSELF ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE CHANGES YOU WANT TO SEE!

PUT A DEMAND ON YOUR DAYS... MINUTES.... ON YOUR VERY LIFE!

MAKE IT WORK...... WHATEVER YOU HAVE TO DO..... DESIGN A PLAN AROUND YOUR PERSONALITY, PASSION, CHALLENGES, AND OVERALL GOALS. DON'T GO BY YOUR FEELINGS ALL THE TIME... YOUR FEELS WILL MAKE YOU OBESE, AND UNCARING, AND TOTALLY WORTHLESS. THEY KEEP US IN A COMFORT ZONE... A PLACE OF SADNESS & DEPRESSION THAT CAN LINGER A LIFETIME IF ALLOWED TO FESTER.

ASK YOURSELF WHERE YOU WANT TO BE.... AND HOW DO YOU WANT TO BE FEELING & LOOKING IN A YEAR..... 5 YEARS.... 10 YEARS! KNOW THAT IT TAKES WORK.... BUT ITS WORTHWHILE WORK!

IT ALL STARTS WITHIN THE MIND. IF YOU CAN DREAM IT.... YOU CAN BECOME IT!

LET IT MARINATE IN YOUR MIND..... THEN WRITE OUT YOUR PLAN OF ACTION.....

MAKE BIG POSTERS (if you have to - I did) LOL...... POST IT NOTES HELPED ME A LOT TOO!

YOU MUST PROCEED WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THAT ITS A JOURNEY.... IT WILL TAKE TIME.... BUT YOU CAN MAKE GREAT STRIDES TOWARD SUCCESS IN SHORT PERIODS IF YOU STAY FOCUSED, AND EMBRACE THE PLAN WITH ALL YOUR HEART & SOUL.

JUST DO IT! ONE STEP AT A TIME.... ONE MEAL AT A TIME, ONE DREAM AT A TIME. USE WHATEVER MOTIVATES AND CENTERS YOU TO REDISCOVER YOUR YOUTHFULNESS.... YOUR SPUNK, AND YOUR ACTIVITY LEVELS WILL INCREASE! TAP INTO THAT PART OF YOU THAT NEVER GROWS OLD...... NEVER TIRES..... NEVER WORRIES OR STRESSES. GIVE IT PERMISSION TO GENERATE POWER & STIMULATE YOU AS A WHOLE. PUSH IT REAL GOOD!

KEEP HITTING THE REPEAT BUTTON!

KEEP LOOKING FOR WAYS TO GROW AND GLOW! SHINE!!!! DO IT NOW...... NOT LATER!!!

YOU ARE TOTALLY WORTH IT! INVEST IN YOU, AND TELL YOURSELF YOU CAN DO ANYTHING BUT FAIL! SQUARE YOUR SHOULDERS AND LOOK YOURSELF IN THE EYES AND SPEAK "NEW LIFE" INTO YOUR LIFE! KEEP A DIARY... SO YOU CAN SEE YOUR PROGRESS! YOU WILL SEE..... ITS EZ ONCE YOU MAKE A DECISION TO BELIEVE. ONLY BELIEVE.

(((HUGGZZ))) HAVE A HAPPY JOURNEY! GOD BLESS YOU!
  • jubama
    jubama Posts: 2
    Options
    This is one area that I really struggle with. Hopefully one day I can comfortably say -I can and have. I dont junk but its my inability to stay focused on doing even the simplest of exercises.:smile:
  • LoreeBelle
    LoreeBelle Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    gypsyGIRL, thanks for your comments! I actually printed them and plan to make some posters to encourage myself to DO THIS.

Blessings!
    Loree
  • mylove4ana123
    Options
    Well to stay on track I just recently got my mom involved and she's really helping me. I like to set small goals and have two weigh in days per week. This way If I think I'm slipping I know I have to get my act together to reach my goal. Other wise I'll have to have extra workouts as punishments! And rewards are non-food related things like a new shirt ect.

I also like to work out or just go for walks in the morning because it gives me energy for the rest of the day! And make sure you surround yourself with friends!! Doing activities with friends will burn a bunch of calories!! Make it fun :D
  • onmyweightohappiness
    onmyweightohappiness Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Myself personally I had to decided to work out in the AM before work or after work. I use to work out after work and it worked well for a year and a half then life changed and I started making excuses to not work out after work. I love my sleep too but made the decision I was going to work out in the mornings. I get up at 4am every morning, have my coffee and start working out around 445-5am for either 30 or 45 minutes I then get ready for work and get my son ready too. It was tough the first week but honestly I love it now after doing it for 5 months. I prefer it, I crave it when I wake up, it gets my day going then that way at the end of the day if I am exhausted its ok, if all I want to do is go home cook dinner and cuddle with my son I can. For myself in the beginning I had to force myself to do it daily for about 2 weeks now its routine. Monday thru Saturday every morning I get it in. Sundays are my rest days.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Same here! Wow, I tried on some clothes yesterday and it was kinda shocking to see how much I've let my fitness slide. Made me realize I can't just keep putting off until tomorrow what needs to have been done yesterday. And for me it's not so much getting rid of pounds (although that is also needed), but LOTS of firming up required!!! :grumble:

I hate this. How can positive results come from negative attitudes?