HRM and calories burnt

Options
I recently got a new Heart Rate Monitor, and love it!
Just out of curiosity today, I wore it to work and was amazed that in a 5 hour shift I burnt over 3000 calories!! ( I work at a popular bar, and I'm always running from one end of the club to the other)

I was just wondering if this is something I should be putting in my diary as 'cardiovascular exercise) or does MFP somehow automatically include this? (I selected "Active" in my normal daily activities settings.)

Any advice would be great! :)

Dani

Replies

• erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani,

The fact that you've selected 'active' will take care of your normal daily activity. HRMs are not really designed to calculate calories burned from 'daily activity' and the calculations can be inaccurate over long periods of time, of lowish heart rate activity. There is no doubt that you will be burning more than a sedentary person, but as long as you have 'active' picked, you should be good.

Good luck,

Erika
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think the only one of them that is designed to work when you are not exercising for counting calories is a bodybugg. I would love to have one, but it is not in my budget right now. I think my HRM works rather well for when I am working out so I will be sticking to that.
  • nuttynetty114
    nuttynetty114 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a HRM at sports auth store or u can buy it online. I bought the polar PF4 & does calulate ur calories burned doing ur exercise workout. Hope this helps :)
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor but it doesnt calculate my calories. Does anyone know how to do that. I have been searching online but just dont have time to weed through all the sites.

Thanks Smiles
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor but it doesnt calculate my calories. Does anyone know how to do that. I have been searching online but just dont have time to weed through all the sites.

Thanks Smiles

Unfortunately, not all HRM's have the function to calculate calories. Some of them are just for taking measurements of your heart rate. You can, however, find calculators on the Internet that use your heart rate to calculate calories burned. I don't have a link for you though.