Can you lose 20-23 pounds in 3 months?

Options

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    24 lbs in 3 months is on the OUTSIDE of the recommended maximum rate of loss... That would be 2 lbs per week. 2X4=8 lbs per month X 3 months = 24 lbs. This is if you are significantly overweight. If you are near your ideal, 12 lbs in 3 months would be much more recommended. So in short, yes it is possible for many people.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    First off people saying losing 20-23 lbs in 3 months as fast? That is an average 2 lbs per week is completely healthy!

I started on here at 155 and I am 5'7.5- I lost 20 lbs in 3 months, and the last 5-8 lbs took me almost 6 months after that.

I did it with regular exercise and watching my calories. I didn't starve myself, I very much adopted the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and ate what I liked in moderation.

Also- she didn't state that she wanted to do it "fast" she just asked if it was possible to lose 20 lbs in 3 months. Yes, it is. Will everyone be able to? No, but if she is staying within a healthy means and limits than there is nothing wrong with a 2lb per week loss.

2 lbs per week is healthy if you have 75 lbs or more to lose. It's not healthy the less you have to lose, because you would have to have to continue a 1000 calorie deficit per day even as your TDEE is dropping with your weight loss. It runs the risk of putting you into calorie intakes below 1200, which is why you often see the following recommended on MFP:

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

^This.

If the OP even has a chance at losing 2 pounds per week at the weight she is at now, she will have to nail her food intake almost perfectly every single day for 3 months. My concern with this is that by leaving no room for error it's easy to get discouraged and either give up OR go the opposite direction and start starving towards the end. It's an unrealistic, unhealthy goal.

It's much better to develop healthy habits that fit into your lifestyle and lose the weight at a reasonable speed for your weight, which is about 1 pound a week.

This pretty much nailed it. I did achieve similar weight loss. My diet was extremely strict and I did nail it every day for months on end. I also lived at the gym. It was extremely difficult and not sustainable (in my case it wasn't meant to be). When I went back to "normal" eating, even with tracking, I struggled a lot with maintainance. I found I was much worse off after. I was able to get back on track but it took awhile. It is not something I recommend for anyone.

ETA - also, she didn't necessarily say she wanted to "lose weight fast" in her OP, but considering the username…...
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    First off people saying losing 20-23 lbs in 3 months as fast? That is an average 2 lbs per week is completely healthy!

I started on here at 155 and I am 5'7.5- I lost 20 lbs in 3 months, and the last 5-8 lbs took me almost 6 months after that.

I did it with regular exercise and watching my calories. I didn't starve myself, I very much adopted the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and ate what I liked in moderation.

Also- she didn't state that she wanted to do it "fast" she just asked if it was possible to lose 20 lbs in 3 months. Yes, it is. Will everyone be able to? No, but if she is staying within a healthy means and limits than there is nothing wrong with a 2lb per week loss.

I agree that 20 lbs in 30 months isn't crazy fast, but to be fair, I can see how one would glean that she wanted to do it fast, seeing as her screen name is "Loseweightfast339".
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Lemme think a minute. I started before MFP at about 157.... I went down to 145 ,fighting weight, literally. It took about 2 months without any kind of starving and my normal heavy-duty workouts. So I averaged 6lbs a month. Not too bad

That said, I am told I look very thin at 145. You plan to be our height and 135-140? My oh my that IS skinny!
    IMHO, you're going to be too skinny and possibly stringy looking. The dreaded "skinny fat" could be a problem.

How about you get down to 145-150 and re-evaluate? We are TALL. Almost as tall as men. It is sometimes a mind game for us to feel "heavy" compared to other women who are much shorter.

135-140 sounds good for a woman on paper but for a tall woman not so much in real life. Something to think about. Still, it's better than the 5'9" woman who is planning 125 or less. Bah! She's gunna look like crap.

Much of what you said here is subjective. I think more needs to be considered that just scale weight, and of course, this will vary from person to person. But as a fellow, 5'9" woman, I must say, on me, 135-140 isn't 'skinny' in a bad way kind of skinny.
    I hovered in the upper 120s until my mid twenties, and while I had no curves, I definitely did not look like crap.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I couldn't.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    OP - Many have said if you were obese and had a lot to lose this is possible but you are close to an ideal weight so it is much harder in your time frame. However, I'm surprised everyone is touting "calorie in - calorie out" theory which isn't true.

Your body doesn't know math. Clinical studies show metabolic advantages and disadvantages.

Much of your progress will depend on your past. Have you been this weight for years? Did you recently gain weight that you want to get rid of? Do you eat junk food and drink sugary beverages? Do you consistently overeat or have you done lots of diets over the years?

If you've pretty much never dieted, eat junk food and recently gained weight, by eating healthy and drinking lots of water the pounds will disappear quickly. If you've been this weight for a long time, eating relatively healthy and just haven't exercised, exercise will tone you up but losing weight will be very difficult.

When I was in my 20s, just cutting out OJ and butter was all I needed to drop 20 pounds in 2 - 3 months. These two foods totaled over 1000 calories a day and the rest of my diet was relatively healthy at 2500 calories a day. (A college nutrition class had me log my food and showed I shouldn't be drinking OJ or eating butter.)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    OP - Many have said if you were obese and had a lot to lose this is possible but you are close to an ideal weight so it is much harder in your time frame. However, I'm surprised everyone is touting "calorie in - calorie out" theory which isn't true.

Your body doesn't know math. Clinical studies show metabolic advantages and disadvantages.

Much of your progress will depend on your past. Have you been this weight for years? Did you recently gain weight that you want to get rid of? Do you eat junk food and drink sugary beverages? Do you consistently overeat or have you done lots of diets over the years?

If you've pretty much never dieted, eat junk food and recently gained weight, by eating healthy and drinking lots of water the pounds will disappear quickly. If you've been this weight for a long time, eating relatively healthy and just haven't exercised, exercise will tone you up but losing weight will be very difficult.

When I was in my 20s, just cutting out OJ and butter was all I needed to drop 20 pounds in 2 - 3 months. These two foods totaled over 1000 calories a day and the rest of my diet was relatively healthy at 2500 calories a day.

These things may affect your metabolism, making it higher or lower than average, but even with those variations, it still comes down to calories in/calories out. Its just for those with a lower than average metabolism will have to have lower calories in since they have lower calories out. It makes it even more complicated when they rely on formulas to determine calorie intake based on people with "average" metabolisms.

Your example of OJ and butter is still an example of CI/CO.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

When I was in my 20s, just cutting out OJ and butter was all I needed to drop 20 pounds in 2 - 3 months. These two foods totaled over 1000 calories a day and the rest of my diet was relatively healthy at 2500 calories a day.

These things may affect your metabolism, making it higher or lower than average, but even with those variations, it still comes down to calories in/calories out. Its just for those with a lower than average metabolism will have to have lower calories in since they have lower calories out. It makes it even more complicated when they rely on formulas to determine calorie intake based on people with "average" metabolisms.

Your example of OJ and butter is still an example of CI/CO.

Not to mention at least when *I* was 20 I had to hoof it all over campus to get anywhere. Fast forward 12 years and This week I was darn near kicking and screaming the whole time because we had to walk down a VERY LONG hall way to go for training. I think our extra activity when we're younger could lead many to believe age somehow irreparably disrupts calories in calories out
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    OP: didn't you already ask this question? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290710-is-my-goal-realistic

I guess you didn't like the answers you got that time and you're going to keep asking until you hear that it's totally faboo and realistic and the healthiest thing you can do.

Have fun with that. We'll still be here when you get back.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That said, I am told I look very thin at 145.

You should almost never take the subjective views of people you know too seriously when it comes to how you look. Many, many people who were once large and then got to healthy goal weights are told by friends, family, and co-workers that they look too/very thin. Hell endless are the amounts of people who, upon losing weight, were told by loved ones that they were "too thin" while still technically in the obese range. There are various reasons why people close to us perceive our changes as extreme, even when they absolutely objectively are not.

You plan to be our height and 135-140? My oh my that IS skinny!
    IMHO, you're going to be too skinny and possibly stringy looking. The dreaded "skinny fat" could be a problem.

What are you talking about? 135-140 is well within a healthy range for 5'9" woman, depending on her frame and overall body composition.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Cut out all junk food. ALL OF IT. Cut out all sugar except from fruit and keep that down (eat anything that ends in the word "berry" and some melons and read ALL labels in the store to avoid hidden sugar: corn syrup, cane sugar, erythritol, etc...). Look carefully at all condiments for sugar content and switch from condiments to herbs and natural spices. Eat raw as much as possible, as pertains to vegetables. Make sure to enjoy protein, to fill up so you don't feel deprived. And then simply exercise your heart out for the 2 to 3 months.......I think just those changes should do the trick for you. especially if your not in the habit of exercise six days per week.

I also wonder if you might be happier staying close to the same weight, but toning up through body building. Adding lean muscle might make you appear the size you want to be without much weight change on the scale. Also, keeping a good amount of muscle mass will increase your metabolic rate.....so you can even burn more calories sleeping and sitting.

Just some thoughts. You can do this. Go for it!!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds in 3 months when I was 21. Kept it off for 10 years except during pregnancy. I walked for an hour every day and ate well. However, my body didn't look as good as when I started weight training; I weighed more and didn't lose as many pounds on the scale, but my clothes were smaller.

My advice: start working your butt off at the gym. Eat well. You'll love how you look in three months.
  • loseweightfast339
    Options
    OP: didn't you already ask this question? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290710-is-my-goal-realistic

I guess you didn't like the answers you got that time and you're going to keep asking until you hear that it's totally faboo and realistic and the healthiest thing you can do.

Have fun with that. We'll still be here when you get back.
    No I just wanted more opinions but thanks for that :)
  • Just_Fiona
    Just_Fiona Posts: 6
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs in just over 2 months, but I eat very well and a lot of food (joined www.slimmingworldusa.com online) and walk 6-10k every day, do 30-45 mins of cardio/strength (DVD) 6 days a week, and I'm never hungry. Basically slimming world is common sense eating (not a diet) plus an online support group... eat good food (even lots of potatoes, pasta and rice), skip the oil, fat and refined sugar, fill up on fruits and veggies. It's structured so you've got something to follow and are less likely to "cheat". It's worth $75/year for the support and tips. I plan my meals once a week. I've got another 10+ lbs to go and am hoping to lose it (or most of it) before my birthday in August. I lost 3-4 lbs the first week and my average weekly loss is 1 lb, which is healthy.
  • eoconnor101
    Options
    I'm a male so weight loss is a little easier for me...I'm 6'0 with a wide frame and athletic build and weighed 205 lbs (or slightly more) at the end of snowboarding season mid march. My goal was to be 190 by end of May for a surf trip. I hit 189 for the trip the day I left and this morning am 185 (always will lose weight in the tropics). I think it's doable but I adjusted my lifestyle more than counting calories, what has worked for me and I will continue to do for the rest of my life is....

-Eat less carbs, eat more fat, eat more vegetables, eat less fruit - I read different theories behind Atkins, south beach, primal diet, paleo diet, no carb, lo carb diet and made my own diet up based what I could handle. When I signed up for this site it recommended a diet that was 60-70% carbs based on my weight and the fact that I want to lose 5 more lbs. but at .5 lb/ week, but I think that's wrong, I was eating like 45% protein, 25% fat (mostly salmon, oleic oils - avocaodo, nuts), and 30% carbs that were largely from gluten free foods and veggies -

example - 830 am - one fried egg and 8 oz of berry juice followed by black coffee
    11am - handful of almonds
    1 pm - salad with mixed greens, 4 oz low sodium black beans, half avocado, 6 oz fish or chicken, 1/4 cup carrots and other assorted veggies
    630pm - 8 oz Salmon, a ton of brocolette, Kale, brussel sprouts, anything with a lot of fiber and vitamins, a small portion of brown rice or quinoa

mon-thusday no alcohol ( a few exceptions)

-I also didn't hammer the exercise which increases your appetite and need for carbs, I enjoy exercise so I did swim, trail run, mountain bike, and surf when convenient but I didn't force a schedule, if I was starving for example I skipped the exercise and ate a healthy meal, played some guitar, and went to bed. If you are already in good cardio shape like I was creating a calorie deficit shouldn't be based on a ton of working out.

-YOGA - huge difference, at least 1 60-75 minute session a week in the hot studio, plus another 2 30-40 minute back yard, vinyasa flow with emphasis on Core - this reduced my appetite, increased digestion and awareness of what I was eating, made more immune to slight hunger pangs I could ignore, made me sleep better etc. etc.

-Low Salt, even on my flight to Indonesia I requested low sodium meals, don't eat out often, if you use salt use sea salt, drink loads of water and coconut water.

That's it, 20 lbs. in 3 months by really adjusting my % foods, realizing I wasn't training for a triathalon, yoga, low salt/sugar....

and I pretty much ate what I want and drank a lot of craft beer on the weekends, and wasn't hungry that often (certainly not an unhealthy level)

Anyways, good luck.
  • al211
    al211 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    kdkd
  • al211
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 170, I want to lose about 20 lbs. I'd like to start by getting down to 165. You sound like you were very successful so I was wondering how your diet/fitness plan went and what it looked like. Could you share some of your tips?
  • al211
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 170, I want to lose about 20 lbs. I'd like to start by getting down to 165. You sound like you were very successful so I was wondering how your diet/fitness plan went and what it looked like. Could you share some of your tips?
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I've done it. Though I'm on Metformin for my PCOS ( was pre-diabetic in 2009 ;though no longer). I'm at 1480 calories now. Started at 1590 calories.
    I think most people who want to "lose fast" try to eat at 1200 calories (*** and even lower which would be very un-healthy). Most who eat that low right off the bat either don't lose or crash.
    I'm not sure I could ever eat at 1200 calories. Feel like I'd starve. You can add me if you like. I have an open diary.

Though my goals are
    sw 215 lbs
    cw 191 lbs
    gw 147 lbs
    personally at 5'7" 130 I didn't look well I've always been considered big boned
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost about 30 pounds in 5 weeks.
    Unless you started at 400+ I'm not sure that's something to be proud of.

I've lost almost 62lbs in 17 weeks but... I was 375 when I started. Not the magical 400+ quoted above, but close enough. I have literally lost the equivalent of my 9yo!

Anyway, to the OP, hope it works out for you, whatever you decided on.