Staying on the diet, losing weight - but always hungry

Options
Since starting on the diet on 10/10/2010 I've lost 2.2 kg = 4.8 lb, more or less in a straight line.

I started at 130 kg (!) and now I'm 127.8 kg. I began with a plan to lost 2 lb/week but switched that to 1.5 lb/week because I was finding the calorie limit too restrictive and I'm aiming to continue for the long haul.

My problem is a bit hard to describe because (1) I haven't gone off my diet, (2) I'm losing weight, (3) I've increased exercise and (4) I almost always end up with at least a couple of hundred calories left over, so I'm not really tempted to go off the diet.

So what's the problem you might ask?

It's that I'm always hungry. After I finish one meal I feel like snacking. After I finish one snack I feel like another. I eat my way through one snack after another and nothing satisfies or fills me up. In fact, it seems that one thing I eat just triggers the urge to eat something else.

Because I'm eating so much, but still staying within my calorie limit, obviously the things I'm eating are very low calorie. Like fruits (especially Asian pears - really yummy!) and melon. Also I'll eat small packages of 60-120 calorie snacks of various kinds.

And I'm drinking lots of water - at least 2 liters a day. Water is almost all I drink.

Basically I just stop eating when it's getting too late in the day and I'm ready to go to sleep. Then I think, "OK. Might as well close off my food diary for the day. Sure am looking forward to breakfast tomorrow though."

I suspect the problem is that what I'm eating has a relatively high amount of carbs in them - particularly fruit - and these trigger hunger spikes.

I do know from experience that if I go on a low-carb diet, like Atkins, within a day or 2 my appetite just goes away and I actually stop thinking about food and I actually get more work done and can concentrate on other things. The problem with Atkins though is that it plain doesn't work because the foods I do eat on that diet simply have too many calories and I can't lose weight. Not to mention that I think it's basically unhealthy.

I know from experience that journaling calories is the only way I can lost a lot of weight - like the 100 lb or so I need to lose. This time around though it just seems to be especially hard. I just can't stop thinking about food.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

doug

Replies

• fthoodbaby
    fthoodbaby Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try adding more protein. I have that same hungry issue when I eat too many carbs. I'm not a big meat eater (or wasn't before) but I have found that when I eat protein w/my meals that I can go a longer period of time before eating again.,
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    Up the protein and try to spilt your intake into 5/6 small meals not 2/3 big plus snacks.
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Not much advice... I'm bumping for you to see what responses you get. You see, after losing 75 pounds and doing wonderfully on my diet I plateaued... Big Time and since then I am at a relative stand still and I am starving All the time!!! Still have a little over 20 to lose, eating over 100 grams of protein a day but over all a balanced diet and still starving!! Good luck and hope you find some answers!
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking sugar intake?....Fruit is great but if you have too much sugar can be an issue......I cannot stay under on sugar without really pushing myself so maybe just try to cut back......My other comment not being able to look at your diary is that have you considered sacking on protein....It feels up the body better then sugar.....BTW I am not saying cut out fruit just not having more then 2 servings a day....Most days I only have 1. Oh and how many calories are you eating?...It is possible you aren't eating enough.....I use the rule for I always eat atleast half of the recomented after exercise and more then 1200...I hope this helps....Oh and try chewing gum...It maybe that you are just bored instead of hungry.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough I have a running joke that whenever anyone asks me if I'm hungry. I.e should we eat soon, my standard response is the joke that I've been hungry for years now, ever since starting this diet!

And its not a complete lie. I think that to a certain extent however that it might be psychological. I have been told that my appetite will naturally shrink and all the rest of it. I think that objectively it must have, theres no way I could eat what I used to without being quite ill now. But like you, whenever I eat, I always feel I could eat more. It's had to be a battle not to , not a natural feeling of full...even when I should be!!

But, I guess sometimes I kind of like the feeling. Knowing that I havn't stuffed myself means that I will lose weight, which I like(its a control thing) and which I see the effects off!

Also, I only feel hungry when I think about it (which again suggests its a psychological thing for me) so I try to distract myself and keep busy doing things - like gym/classes/reading, not being surrounded by nice food (i avoid visiting my mother as much as possible purely becasue of the sheer amunt of terrible (amazing) food she always has in the house), and generally keeping myself from getting bored and eating to pass the time.

I just wanted to share a similar experience, sorry I can't really give you any advice on how to fix it though
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I agree with increasing protein, would also increase fiber through veggies

Also,

Why are you leaving a couple hundred calories on the table if you are hungry. Eat them! :laugh:

Consider ditching the packaged snack other than plain nuts. The processed food often contains appetite stimulating carbs and sodium. Make your own snacks

Evaluate whether you are really hungry or just obsessing over food, as often happens to dieters. If it's the latter, maybe you need a hobby :tongue:

Congrats on your progress!
  • goldilocks007
    Options
    Like the other people who responded, I would look at adding more protein and aiming for smaller meals and more snacks. The other thing to consider is to look at your sodium intake. I am personally more sensitive to sodium, and if I eat one wrong food, it can make me crave more food until my body can get rid of the excess sodium. MFP recommended sodium level at 2500mg. Those with hypertension aim for 2000mg daily. Personally, I aim for 1500mg to 2000mg daily, and when I stick with it, I do not crave food nearly as often. Hope this helps:happy:
  • douglernerold
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everybody. There are some helpful things to think about in there.

I'm not sure what proteins to add though that aren't also high calorie. For example, a really gigantic 200 gm Asian pear might have only 84 calories in it. It's big because it's mostly water I guess. But 84 calories of a protein? What can you get for that?

About the nut suggestion - they are so high calorie I haven't had any at all. Macadamias are, I know from experience, extremely filling and satisfying. But the calories!

Another thing I like is sliced raw pumpkin "fried" on a non-stick pan with a bit of PAM. 100 gm has only 26 calories and they really are as satisfying as potato chips. At least while eating them. Then I want more. :)

My calorie limit for my age and height, goal and to lost 1.5 lb/week is 1850 calories/day net. I'm definitely not eating too few calories. I believe I'm eating between 1600-1900 calories per day actual, with a couple-to-few hundred calories from exercise from walking (I gave up using my moped completely and have been walking a lot).

Anyway, any protein hints?

Thanks!

doug
  • drewgong
    Options
    Hi Doug..
    My wife and I felt and feel the same. I don't know if the following is of any value, but I hope there might be one little thing you get out of it.

1. Keep trying ideas and asking others, something might help. Surf the internet and read the forums.
    2. We searched for foods or pills or anything that would suppress hunger. There is stuff out there but when we happened to read a forum that said something like "you need to accept that you're going to be hungry", we came to accept the fact and somehow that seemed to make it bearable.
    3. Keep using my fitness pal. We think it helps to plan your day. Make a fitness and diet routine.
    4. Exercise early in the day. We do this first thing. I hear that it gets your metabolism running higher for the whole day.
    5. Exercise using "interval training" if you can. That is timed bursts of exertion then a resting rate, For instance we use a cycling machine for 30 minutes or more each morning. We have a timer and we pedal as fast as we can "comfortably" sustain for 30 seconds then at a moderate speed for 30 secs and repeat. (You can build up the fast pedaling slowly by starting with 10 secs, then 15, 20, etc over a couple of weeks).
    6. We use the low energy shake replacement meals and have about five meals a day with a total of 1200 calories.
    7. We have a "bad meal" once or twice a week. This might be a burger or something (We don't go silly and have chips, ice cream, etc with the bad meal).
    8. Vegetables as good to fill you up. They can be boring after a while so we added salt and some light sauces or gravies. We figure that we will reduce the salt, etc after we loose the weight. If the vegetable don't do the trick then eat fruit rather than fatty stuff or breads, or chips, etc.
    9. Diet with a friend for support. Plan meals together. .Let others (friends, workmates, etc) know you're on a diet. they'll encourage you.
    10. Warning - this next one is a gross suggestion - I even tried chewing some really tasty food and not swallowing but spitting it all out. It helped for a while.
    11. Have a couple of ideas and be ready to change as soon as one doesn't seem to work anymore.
    12. Be obsessive. walk whenever you can, use the stairs. make more than one trip when you carrying thing from one place to another, take the long way if you walk. Be obsessive and read all the food labels. Look for different stuff that is low calorie / joule and tastes good. (We look like nerds in the supermarket with our magnifying lens as we're reading all the labels)
    13. Find an exercise that you like doing and do it more often. If you find it hard to get started or it 'hurts' a bit, remind yourself that the first 5 minutes ALWAYS hurts, so get over it. [That helps me everyday].
    14. And remember, you HAVE already lost weight. you are actually doing it. It happens by little percentages not by kilograms. In a while you (and others) will notice and you'll feel great.

Good on you for trying, it's a tough job. It took us 30-40 years to put the weight on but we're getting there bit by bit and now we've lost about 50kg between us and still going.

Hope this helps you.
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    Some good protein choices could be:
    Boiled eggs
    Beans
    Peanut butter
    Cottage cheese
    Whole natural almonds

Some are indeed higher calorie, but you'll portion out a serving. You have calories left over so you should use them. Give it a try and you may just be very surprised. Best of luck to you on your journey.
  • leighshutter
    leighshutter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Beans are a really great protein source and they're also relatively low in calories and full of fill-you-up- fiber. I have had the same problem in the past and it helped me to eat a handful of raw almonds (about 100 calories) 1/2 an hour before eating. I read that the (good) fat in these nuts helped to turn off your appetite halfway through the meal.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Everyone has opinions, Mine is this:

Fiber and protien make you feel full!!! If you are eating nothing but salads all day, you won't feel ful. I eat string cheese for snacks when I get hungry or raw almonds. Both packed full of protien and the almonds are an excellent source of fiber and good fats. Don't deny your body when it's hungry-but don't go over board.

cut out some bad-processed carbs. Dishes like Lean cuisines have 50 carbs in those nasty concoctions!!!! All that does is spike your insulin, makes you crash, and makes you crave MORE bad carbs.
  • douglernerold
    Options
    Thanks for the extra advice, people!

Drew, I found all of yours worthwhile except for #10. :)

About the boiled egg idea - I think that's probably a good thing to try next. Eggs are low calorie, low fat, low carb and high protein. Plus I don't have a cholesterol problem.

About almonds though - they are just so high calorie! But I can get little bags of almond slivers mixed with tiny fish for only about 130 calories/bag. I should get some of those tomorrow. I think I'll try cutting down on fruit and adding in the almond/fish snacks instead and see how that affects my appetite. That's a concrete, constructive test I can make.

Fortunately no Lean Cuisines here to worry about!

Thanks again! This place is really great. First of all, it's the first actually *usable* daily food tracker I've ever run across. And it syncs great with my iPhone. And the diet is realistic.

But what's really amazing is the response of people in these forums. I really appreciate all of your replies.

doug
  • purpleprose
    Options
    Hey Doug -

Yes, nuts like almonds are higher in calories than a lot of what you've been eating. BUT, if you substitute them for a few of your more carb-heavy snacks like fruit, you'll find that it's a fairly even trade-off AND that they will help keep you full from both the protein and the healthy fat.

I found it hard to rely on them at first as well. But, try some almonds, some trail mix (I like mine with a bit of chocolate), etc, and I think you'll come around to see that it's actually beneficial. Additionally, since you indicated that you aren't eating all your calories anyway, what's the big deal in trying them? It's not like we're suggesting you go eat crisps or cake...just some nuts! :tongue:

Make sure to get nuts that aren't in a ton of salt, sugar, etc.

All the best!
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    I may not be very experienced in this part of what to do, but I found something that really helps me out quite a bit. I drink a glass of water before I start eating and a glass or 2 during eating and this really gets me full. I also double my veggies and eat them first then to the meat and sides.

Not sure if will help ,but it works for me.
  • janalenee
    janalenee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am not sure exactly how much water you are drinking - but if we don't drink enough water, our body can sometimes confuse needing water with being hungry. I was told that we are supposed to take our total weight (in pounds) and divide it in half - that number is how much water your body needs in ounces. I.E. If you weigh 200 lbs. you should be drinking 100 ounces of water per day...

Another thing I do - I make up a large bowl of salad and sometimes just leave it out on the counter if I am feeling like I am hungry. That way I will just walk by and grab a carrot out of the bowl or cucumber or whatever...that helps me.

Oh...and I try to not buy foods that are easily accessible - I buy stuff that requires some preparation in order to eat it. That way I am less likely to go out and snack on unhealthy things...

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi Doug!
    Good for you for sticking with this through the hunger pains and trying to find a solution instead of ditching! Hunger is NO FUN!!

I don't know how you ate in the past, but if you are dieting you should never really feel completely full like after a big holiday meal. You should be able to feel satisfied and not hungry after eating meals and snacks though. For some of us overweight people, we have gotten used to gorging ourselves and feeling full enough to pop at every meal, and honestly that's just something you've got to learn to say goodbye to if it is an expectation (don't know that it is).

Well, I don't know what percentage of fat you have been eating, but I have a suspicion that it's pretty low. The Mayo Clinic recommends you eat 20-35% of your calories from fat. So even if you're eating 20% it may be too low for you, you could increase to 25%, etc.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat-grams/HQ00671

Why is that relevant? Well, fat is really important to a variety of different things your in your body (cell membrane walls, brain function, among others). The idea is to send a message to your brain. If you're eating lots of fruit as snacks, it doesn't matter if they are bulky, you probably just get a temporary blood sugar elevation and then nothing, so your brain is given the message that all the potential energy of a food has been used up.

Having a snack of five or six almonds doesn't sound like much, but can actually give your body some nutrients it was in need of, and thus signal to your brain that you aren't hungry anymore.

Bulk is really only half the story for feeling full. If you just feel like you need to be able to chow down on something, air pop a bunch of popcorn, and don't add anything to it. Super low in calories for a large amount of food to eat.

The thing is, if the majority of your calories come from simple carbs you aren't eating things that takes a long time to digest, and thus your body is always giving you the signal that you will soon need more food. Eating more complex carbs, protein and fat will mean that your body has to spend more time on all its food and won't be telling your brain to procure more food.

My recommendation is to give eating high calorie foods in small portions a try. Eat some almonds as a snack. If you only want 84 calorie snacks, only eat enough almonds to equal 84 calories. Portion control is everything. One almond has roughly 7 calories in it, so that's 12 almonds!! In the past that wouldn't have sounded like much to me, but now I know that 12 is actually a lot, and I usually just have five or six and feel good. Don't discriminate against any healthy food just because it is high in calories, eat a small enough portion that it is a low calorie snack or a decent amount for a meal.

Avocado is very calorie dense, but that's because it has lots of healthy fats, and if you eat it with some complex carbs and protein, say brown rice and beef, you will hopefully feel satisfied after eating that.

Fruit is great (tasty and nutritious!), but I would only expect it to make you feel satisfied for about 30 minutes before you are going to want something with protein and fat in it, and ideally complex carbs for some good fiber.

Anyway, based on what you said, I pretty much eat a similar amount of calories each day when exercise calories are added in (around 500 exercise calories) and I usually only feel hungry right before meals, but I really enjoy that I now feel hungry everyday. Before I literally never felt hungry - I ate so much so frequently my body never ever sent my brain the hungry message, and now it does! Of course, I try to eat soon after I'm hungry so I don't get grumpy, but it is still a blessing to me to know that I have really changed my entire outlook on food :)
  • douglernerold
    Options
    Thanks again, people.

I have made some adjustments today - more protein, a bit less fruit - and I'm seeing how it goes.

By the by, there aren't any email notifications from discussions are there?

doug

p.s. Somebody asked - I'm drinking at least 2 liters of water a day. And I'm basically drinking only water. I very very occasionally have the urge for something sweet tasting to drink, and will have a Coca Cola Zero. But I'd say that well over 90% of what I drink is just plain, cold water.