Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do I up my protein intake?

megnay
megnay Posts: 65 Member
My goal right now is losing weight and I don't think I'm getting enough protein no matter how hard I try. Firstly, how do I know how much protein I should be getting? MFP tells me 25% and I can usually get to that, but then I see other people at 40-50% and I've never hit that number in my life. I have a protein shake in the morning, hummus and veggies, quinoa beans and chicken, and some fish at night. That seems like more than enough but it never is

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    For normal nutrition, 25% protein is fine. Having a diet that is higher in protein is a great way to help reduce your weight, since getting energy from protein sources is less efficient than carbs. This makes your body work harder to get energy out of protein sources. I did 50% protein for a while and it worked great, but I think that you don't need to go over 40% protein. That's what I'm doing now and it is working just fine.

If you want to work on getting your protein up to ~30% or more, try to incorporate more lean meats. Also, cottage cheese is a good snack to get in protein. Egg white are pure protein (no fat, no carbs). Also, for a treat, I'll mix a scoop of whey protein with vanilla greek yogurt to make chocolate pudding with 45g protein in it.

Allan
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Eggs/egg whites, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, nuts & nut butter are more a good fat source than protein but they still have a bit, a wider array of meat than just chicken and fish (some lean steak would be a great source!), Clif "Builder" protein bars have 20g protein.

Personally my protein is set to 25-30% depending on how I've fiddled with my macros. I try to hit 100g and don't worry about boosting it any higher. Works for me. :) Stick to 25% if that's what works for you.
  • I aim for 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight. Taking in that much protein is work for me too, here is what I try to do:
    Breakfast--eggs or protein bar or protein shake
    Snack--nuts or cottage cheese
    Lunch--4oz. protein + 6-8 oz. veggies/carbs
    Snack (post workout)--protein shake
    Dinner--4 ox. protein + 6-8 oz. veggies/carbs

things like cottage cheese and greek yogurt are great ways to get in that protein you need. good luck :)
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    My goal right now is losing weight and I don't think I'm getting enough protein no matter how hard I try. Firstly, how do I know how much protein I should be getting? MFP tells me 25% and I can usually get to that, but then I see other people at 40-50% and I've never hit that number in my life. I have a protein shake in the morning, hummus and veggies, quinoa beans and chicken, and some fish at night. That seems like more than enough but it never is

Studies have shown 0.8g per lb. is perfectly fine to add on muscle. I personally take in that amount it it's worked for me.

To get my protein I like

- Frozen bagged chicken (even the Tyson processed kind, sodium WILL NOT HURT YOU)
    - Greek yogurt (Danon Light and Fit)
    - Quest protein bars, and even the Wal-Mart "Pure Protein" ones are ok.
    - Tuna with mayo on a low calorie wrap.... like the "Flat Out" brand.
    - Protein shakes.... or even protein desserts (cookies, cakes, pancakes.... Pinterest some recipes)
    - Steak / chicken salads
    - Eggs / egg whites