Weighing food...

Options
I need some clarity so I'm looking for some help... Should I be weighing food prior to cooking, or after cooking? I assume there is at least a small difference between the two weights (before vs. after), so I'm wondering if anyone can clarify for me. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    bump for replies
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you can weigh raw do that...if you can't (you cook for more than one) weigh it cooked but make sure you use the entry that reflects how you cooked it...

Ie roasted chicken, grilled, broiled, stewed, poached etc.

I cook for 3 so I weigh cooked and log it accordingly.
  • MissKikiiii
    MissKikiiii Posts: 23
    Options
    Honestly I have no idea, but my guess would be raw because then whatever you are cooking it in won't be added onto that weight

For instance if you cooked chicken in oil and weighed it you would also be weighing that oil.

COMPLETE GUESS I have no idea, I made that up!
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    That would depend on which entries you are selecting for logging. I generally weigh my food raw and use entries reflecting raw weight. Some food absorbs liquid when cooking (pasta for example) and some loses fat and/or water when cooking. Whichever method you choose. Just make sure you're picking a corresponding entry from the database. As a side note, serving sizes are generally noted in uncooked weight; rice, pasta, meats, vegetables, as the cooked weight is not always consistent.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I weigh before. Chicken tenders for example, I search for "raw chicken tenderloins" in the food database.
  • HfxJMac
    HfxJMac Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all - really appreciate the feedback.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Well, meat certainly loses weight when it's cooked. Some meats lose a lot after the fat comes out.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw, even when I cook for more than one. I enter that into the recipe builder and then weigh after to determine the final weight and portion sizes.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on the food. But sometimes it's easier to do it cooked.