Can't stop eating

Options
2»

Replies

• mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you have near-uncontrollable snacking issues, you should make sure you are getting sufficient dietary fats.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I think we all have days like that but prevention is always better than cure.

Make sure you are having enough protein and fat at every meal and bulk up with non starchy vegetables. It's hard to keep eating when you have had 200g chicken and 300g green veggies!

If I do overeat, I normally cut back a bit the next day to balance it out over the week. It's the average that counts.
  • mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If I do overeat, I normally cut back a bit the next day to balance it out.
    Just be careful, as this sort of behavior can lead to an ED.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

I disagree. Maybe for a very select few people it can lead to an ED. I log my calories daily but its my weekly caloric intake that I concentrate the most on. If I overeat one day, I balance it out by watching what I eat the next few days. That's not an ED. That's watching what I eat and not beating myself up over indulging.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Oh brother, this is silly. That's now how eating disorders are born, They start with the psyche, and then the restriction is a symptom that follows. I know, i had an eating disorder when I was younger.
  • Jclifford253
    Options
    I LOVE to snack. Thats why I started getting things like broccoli, carrots, greek yogurt, green beans, pineapple, apples. My fridge and lunchbox are filled with these that way I can eat all day long and not worry about it.
  • rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. I had a day like that the other day. I really thought about what it was my body was telling me. Do I want to eat because I'm bored? Because I'm emotional about something? Or am I truly hungry? Turns out I was truly hungry and so I ate what I wanted (choosing healthy foods). My body simply needed those calories that day. But some days I want to eat for all the other reasons and on those days I distract myself with other things (usually the gym or a walk with my dogs in the park).

This.

I've found that, for me at this point, it's more useful to consider my weekly calorie goal/deficit. Some days I wind up 100 -150 below my goal (got more exercise than I planned, stomach was NOT interested or accepting of food I cooked), and it seems that on weekends, after sleeping in a bit, my body simply says "whew!" and wants a bit more in the way of food than I typically get on week days. So I make sure I eat healthy foods, and don't sweat if I go 100-150 over the daily goal as long as my weekly consumption is still at or just under my goal. So far so good. (and yes, for those who will track, I only wanted to lose about 15 pounds when I came here, have lost most of them, but have lost 134 in the past and then stupidly put 20 back on by being careless. So I know what to do, and am working at NOT putting it all back this time)

Now, I do find that at work when I'm frustrated with people who are being passive aggressive to get me to do their job on top of my own, I have LOTS of cravings for inappropriate carbs (Reeses PB cups are top of the craving list for me!), but that I do say "no" to. Instead, I'll go walk the halls for 5-10 minutes, refill my water bottle, or call my partner for a rant-fest. And when those things are done, the RPBC craving usually is as well.