negative weight loss comment from MIL

Options
13»

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people aren't enthusiastic about plenty of my goals.

Different people are different and I'd prefer to be given honest opinions than a sugar coated "yea, great idea", personally.
  • awoodfell1117
    awoodfell1117 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If that's what you want you go for it girl. Don't let her put you down and pop your damn bubble. You go for what you want. She should be supportive but i know that some people just aren't a lot of times. And maybe she is jealous because you want to get down to that goal who knows.

Tell people what you want, just don't let them give you advice if it's going to be negative! (:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Why on EARTH would anyone discuss weight loss goals with their MIL? Those conversations should be limited to what is hub's favorite food and how to make it and what sizes the kids wear. Preferably by email.

Live and learn.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (wholeheartedly agrees !)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    One would think a MIL would be a cheerleader, but sometimes they aren't. My sister's MIL was the one who butted in a year 1/2 ago at Thanksgiving. My BIL's brother had asked how I was losing the weight, and I started telling him - he seemed really nice and genuinely interested and somehow the thought of weight loss surgery came into the discussion, and I said I hadn't done it because (at that time) I was losing weight on a consistent basis, and was going to ride that wave as long as I could. She butted in saying that my whole family just researches things to death instead of just going ahead and doing something that would help. I just got up and left. I can't believe I had my armor built up so well then!!!

There are some people who just aren't the best people to share information with. Now that you know - you can cater your message a little better, and know just not to engage in conversation on the topic.

I'd like to get down to about 140. Someone at work giggled that there wouldn't be anything left of me - I giggled right back saying that that was the point!!!
  • healthforlife11
    Options
    I'm sorry for the negative energy you are receiving. But continue to reach for your goals no matter what they say. Unfortunately some people don't know how to be supportive. There are also plenty others that do... thats why you are on here right? Keep up the good work and remember just let the negative energy go and continue on with your fitness goals. :)
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    we were "shopping' in her ebay room. she was letting me check out her cloths and see if i wanedt anything. i picked up a junior size5/6 beach shorts. told her that was my goal size. she told me there was no way, i would look gross. it is a junior size. she picks up a size 10 shorts and proceeds to tell me that i shouldnt get smaller than that size. that is when we got into the weight convo. in all honesty, i will still do as i see fit but couldnt believe some of her comments like telling me i looked gross the last time i was thin.