Anyone have sample meal plans for kids?

Options
My daughter is 8 and although she has no idea what it is, she has apparently set herself as a lacto-ovo-vegetarian. I didn't know such a thing existed until I was researching more about her picky habits. She's very tiny, no weight problems, but I am worried about nutrient problems as she pretty much lives on noodles and a few fruits and veggies... and cheese.

I've looked up a few sample meal plans for this diet/lifestyle, but most include chickpeas or some other not so common or liked items. I am hoping some of you may have some samples you can share with me specifically aimed at kids.

Thanks all!!

Replies

• itsadogslife
    itsadogslife Posts: 209
    Options
    So she eats dairy, which is a good source of protein. Really, she's not going to be lacking any nutrients. Eggs have a great protein source, and just keep her on the vegetables and fruits and she's set. You can try supplementing with something like Vega One which is a great addition to a diet of any kind, it gives you 50% of your daily intake of nutrients. She might benefit from that, as well as a calorie boost if she's tiny. Beyond that, I don't see her eating habits to be wrong or deficient =)
  • Takin_it_down
    Options
    Thanks for replying :) My main problem is coming up with things to feed her that will cover all the bases and possibly be passed off as meals. She's pretty much just grabbed and go for quite some time now and I want to stop that and have more sit down dinners together.
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    If she doesn't eat meat, beans are the best way for her to get her protein :-)
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    Our family is vegetarian, and my 8 year old daughter is very picky. If she could live on apples she would. She dislikes cheese, except for sheep's milk which I think tastes like you're actually licking the bottom of a sheep (which, of course, I have never done :)). That said, I buy it for her regularly because I know she'll eat it and at least that gets some calories in her.

The easiest way I've found to supplement her meals is with nuts. "You don't want a waffle for breakfast? How about some nuts with your fruit?" Of course, the nuts we eat are raw and unroasted, so they're healthy.

My daughter's favorite meals are spaghetti with marinara sauce (I know some kids just like butter), burritos with mexican rice, and homemade pizza. I would ask your daughter what she likes to eat, and then try to incorporate that into family dinners a couple of days a week. Find a kid friendly vegetarian cookbook like "Honest Pretzels" or check out cookbooks from the library with lots of good looking food pictures, and have her choose some recipes and cook with you. If she's like my daughter, there's no way she'll make it through dinner prep from start to finish, but even helping to peel some potatoes is a win. And she's probably more likely to eat the meal if she's been a part of making it!
  • Takin_it_down
    Options
    Sharonus, thank you for the suggestions. She loves to help in the kitchen (granted she doesn't stay until finish, but hey). I'm going to do some digging at the library today, I think.

Really appreciate everyone taking the time on this <3
  • debbiesats
    debbiesats Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, my daughter went through a phase like this when she was eight/nine gradually came back to eating meat with the rest of us, she's now 11.
    We try to eat as a family as much as possible - things that were our staples included lots of garden peas & beans added to things like:
    omelettes - plain/cheese with whole eggs but also spanish style with potatoes and veg/mushrooms and bacon/chicken for carnivores in the house
    pasta - cheese sauces, veg and tomato sauces with handfuls of grated cheddar
    stir fries with noodles or rice, lots of mushrooms, beaten eggs stirred in
    pepper and other vegetable quesadillas and wraps
    vegetarian chillis made with plenty of beans
    jacket potatoes with cheese and beans
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian when I was 11 (wanted to when I was bout 7/8 but wasn't allowed!) So it's great that you are catering for her - I was told if I wanted to be vegetarian I would have to cook for myself, which I think was supposed to put me off it but actually just started me off on a very unhealthy diet as at 11 I had no idea what a balanced veggie diet is!

Nuts, beans, pulses, eggs are all good protein sources and lots of fruits/veggies of course!
    Baked beans could be a good kid-friendly option - on toast with an egg, or on a jacket potato.
    Also omlettes with lots of veggies in - whatever ones your child likes?!

Vegetarian Society 'Veggie Kids Kitchen' has information and recipe ideas: http://www.vegsoc.org/document.doc?id=8
    Recipe ideas on BBC Good Food : http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/vegetarian-kids