Cheat or not to Cheat?

Options
That is the question =)

Do you guys/gals ever take a cheat day? I am not suggesting shoveling Big Macs down your throat but more of a nice steak dinner, with baked potato, salad, and an appetizer.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I fit it into my calories. I calorie cycle, so I'll have some low cal days followed by a high cal day or two. This week I've had pizza, chinese and a roast pork and gravy roll (with crackling) and I'm still expecting a loss.

And hell, a steak, baked potato and salad is a normal dinner at my place...
  • cnekniher
    cnekniher Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do have a cheat day! I think it can be good for you as long as you dont indulge in something that'll get your will power off track. If I eat a brownie for example, its REALLY hard for me not to keep munching on other baked goodies.

I would also cheat as a dinner meal and eat a light breakfast/lunch. I like doing that because then I get the feeling of a splurgy dinner but I dont feel guilty for going too far over
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Personally no. But I believe many people designate a weekly or monthly cheat day (or some other terminology). Its too triggering for me and sets off a week long binge!!! But I don't consider steak and salad a cheat either. Its healthy real food your body needs. Just taketh easy on the condiments, drink plenty of water and eat slowly enjoying and tasting every bite.other smaller portions and eat all you veggies/fruit so you'll not overeat. Skip dessert or share with significant other if u cant resist the temptation. Then log it in your diary and estimate the damages if any.I think you'll be surprised,..

Oh and as for me, a cheat is devouring half a large pan pizza and a pint of Ben and Jerrys all washed down with 3-4 Budweiser platinum! Fried chicken is also a sure fire way to trigger binges for me, too! Or Mexican food, yummmm! Lol! See why I'm fat!?!?

Make a list of foods that trigger you. Don't eat them so you can wisely choose a meal out f the ordinary that won't set you up for a binge
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If I want more calories to eat, I just eat at my maintenance level for that day/week. Either way, I work my foods into my calorie limit and eat as I wish.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    That is the question =)

Do you guys/gals ever take a cheat day? I am not suggesting shoveling Big Macs down your throat but more of a nice steak dinner, with baked potato, salad, and an appetizer.
    I used to in the past, but this time around, I just work my cravings into my calories and I don't feel deprived or have the need for a cheat day. However, my dad's wedding is this weekend and I am not sure how well I will be doing Friday-Sunday, and may chalk it up to a free weekend. I am still going to watch my portions and try to log my food though.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat, I practice moderation.

I went over my calories by 300 today, but it was a birthday dinner. I ate pizza, had a piece of cake with ice cream, and drank one soda. It's not an every day thing for me, but I never count days like this as "cheating". It's a once in a while occurrence, and I've still lost weight doing it.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I cheat one day a month, or two meals a week. Sometimes its more days :/
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yes but I don't call it cheating, I call it living within the normal boundaries of my life.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with having a meal every now and again that satisfies my cravings and in the long term helps me stay on track by not feeling deprived. I also have dessert every night, but it's usually a combination of plain yoghurt and cottage cheese with protein powder and strawberries. Tastes and feels like ice cream to me and yet still fits in with my goals.

I guess it depends what your goals are!
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Saturday nights we often have company. I try and save cals for this and make sure I exercise in a Saturday and eat light during the day. In the evening I try and eat normal portions but don't weigh anything and also have some dessert and maybe some chocolate with coffee and just input a guesstimate into MFP. This has worked for me :smile: If I want something heavily calorific like a fast food meal I would save some cals from exercise. I would be scared of wiping a whole weeks hard work out if I just had a free reign for a day a week!
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat, I practice moderation.

I went over my calories by 300 today, but it was a birthday dinner. I ate pizza, had a piece of cake with ice cream, and drank one soda. It's not an every day thing for me, but I never count days like this as "cheating". It's a once in a while occurrence, and I've still lost weight doing it.

+1
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    That is the question =)

Sounds like a pretty regular dinner to me.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    That is the question =)

Sounds like a pretty regular dinner to me.

My thoughts exactly.

Nothing wrong with having steak dinners every day if that's what you like, just eat a portion that works with your calorie/macro goals.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I haven't needed a cheat day yet (waiting for the next big alcohol/party setting), but I've definitely treated myself this week. When my fitbit registers a high number of calories burned following a hike, I totally indulge in a chocolate bar or a doughnut or a huge pad thai.
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cheat. There are so many times throughout the week at work where I simply don't get my designated breaks to eat all my required calories, so I usually end up having a cheat day now and again if I end up losing more than what I wanted to begin with during the week. Plus having a planned day to eat a little on the calorie heavy side keeps me on track, it's something to look forward to. It's nice to use this day to take my family out to a nice dinner and not have to worry about my calorie count. I find that now in my third month of this lifestyle change, I end up taking a doggy bag home anyway because I simply can't eat as much or the way I used to. I've adjusted to smaller healthier portions and get full quicker now.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I fit fast food and treats into my allowance so I've had maybe 3 cheat days in total? And they're usually alcohol-related.

But I mean I barely count them because usually my weekly calories are under my goal by 1000 or more, so I can indulge in all of it and still lose.
  • eatonize
    eatonize Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can't do cheat days, I get sent into a "Ah f*** it" mentality where I do away with all restrictions and worries and just absolutely binge. Honestly I cant help myself, I usually get to a point where I am not satisfied unless my jaw is masticating something. I scoop the spread jars, peanut butter, honey, vegemite. If there is nothing in the house I will make up bizarre combinations filled with butter and or sugar, then I feel like perhaps I should just have a nice wholesome meal and call it a day but I just get bloated and then think "oh well I've gone this far... f*** it". then continue to binge until I go to bed exhausted from over eating then the self loathing kicks in... All in all a food fueled nightmare.
    I even end up doing this if I allow myself a cheat meal. Just cant do it.
    I have recently however discovered a few recipes that feel like a cheat meal but aren't, like Broccoli base pizza 420 calories in a whole pizza... Awesome!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I also calorie cycle. Tight on the weekdays, saving for an indulgent weekend. I keep an average of calories for the week.

So the answer is, I'm not cheating. This is totally calculated. I leave room for indulgence.

If you're going to cheat and don't want to do the math, as long as you stay under your "maintenance" calories on cheat days, you'll be fine and it won't hurt your long term goals.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    I know it works for some people - but I just cant get on board with this cheating thinking.

I have days when I am over calories and days when I am under calories - as long as the weekly average is round about the weekly goal, it is fine.

and occasionally I have a really over day which sends the week way over - like Christmas, a special party etc - as long as it is occasional and not thousands over, it still works out ok.

and little treats and foods I enjoy - like chocolate, pizza or in your case steak and baked potato, - they are just part of my overall plan and as long as they fit within the weekly calorie allowance I consider them fine and part of the plan and not cheating at all.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I eat lightly enough during the week that I can indulge a bit more on the weekends. Just fit it in.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    That is the question =)

A steak dinner is cheating? wow that's sad.