Bought an exercise bike...but my butt gets numb

Options
Ok, so I figured the best way to prepare myself for getting back on an actual bike would be to lead up to it from an exercise bike, but after about five minutes on it, one side or the other of my butt goes completely numb. Anyone have any ideas? The seat is as low as it can go... I'm quite short and I think that's part of it, but I think also that my being so heavy just "sits wrong' on the seat.

Replies

• Emmy360
    Emmy360 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You eventually get used to it..But I use a flat cushion on mine after about 20mins then if it gets really bad i'll get off and do some squats or lunges etc until I feel comfortable again,then hop back on :) Hope it helps
  • Takin_it_down
    Options
    Thanks Emmy, that's a great idea. I'm going to try to find one that doesn't make me sit too much higher.
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would try to add a few more minutes every time you workout and it should get better. If not, you could try to get either a padded seat cover at a bike shop or some padded bike pants. Both of those would help. I have been taking spinning classes for over ten years and remember being sore when I first started but I got used to it. Another thing you could try (if it works on your bike) is to
    stand up and cycle some of the time, this would give your butt a break. I hope this helps.
  • DC6350
    DC6350 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does just your butt go numb or does you entire hip, quads and hamstrings get numb? If it the entire region it could be a lower back issue. If its just your hip/butt then its probably the seat. You could change out the seat or buy cycling shorts. They usually have built in padding and they help a bunch.

Hope I helped...
  • kirstymarian
    kirstymarian Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I bought a gel seat pad for my exercise bike which seems to help. The more you ride the the better it becomes! It's like your bum becomes used to it! X