Beer, specifically chocolate stouts

Options
brower47
brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
Has anyone run across one that actually tasted like chocolate or does that solely refer to the color.

I must know because I'm tired of disappointment.

I'm 0 for 14 at this point. Put me out of my searching misery!

Replies

• phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I haven't found one either. Its disappointing!
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    uh yum..... and I have had a few that are pretty damn good but not exactly chocolate tasting
  • mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    They're not supposed to taste of chocolate, you know. A chocolate stout is supposed to taste like a stout with notes of a chocolatey flavor.

And yes, a local brewery (in Denmark) makes a decent one. :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=svaneke+chocolate+stout&tbm=isch
  • arainiday1
    Options
    They're not supposed to taste of chocolate, you know. A chocolate stout is supposed to taste like a stout with notes of a chocolatey flavor.

And yes, a local brewery (in Denmark) makes a decent one. :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=svaneke+chocolate+stout&tbm=isch

yep what he said
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout is pretty damn chocolately. But poster above is right...it should be notes of chocolate...not all out chocolate.
  • arainiday1
    Options
    I cannot even begin to explain how much I love stout and especially chocolate stouts :drinker:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I'm an IPA girl, all the way. Black IPA, rye IPA, Imperial IPA, just a plain ol' IPA...I'm in. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I'd just like the stores here to carrry anything, IPA, Porter, Stout.....anything but the usual BL, ML, Henie, Bud, MGD
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I'd just like the stores here to carrry anything, IPA, Porter, Stout.....anything but the usual BL, ML, Henie, Bud, MGD

You poor dear.

I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. We have a nanobrewery less than a mile from our house. The owner brews small batches of his own and has one on tap regularly and then there are about 9 other taps with a constantly rotating lineup of all kinds of craft beers. You can go one night and then again two nights later about half have already changed. It is the best.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout is pretty damn chocolately. But poster above is right...it should be notes of chocolate...not all out chocolate.

That's the one I just drank. It's even in yesterday's diary. It was very good, 9/10 as far as stouts go but very little chocolate flavor. I love beer, so it's no loss when they don't taste like chocolate, I just wondered if one exists.

So I will just have to live with the knowledge that only 'hints' is all I'll ever get. Thank you, everyone for your inputs.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    I spoke with my fiance who is an even bigger beer nerd than me (he is a homebrewer) and he talks with other beer nerds and he said the consensus on the most chocolate-y beers are Shake Chocolate Porter and Souther Tier Choklat. I love Southern Tier as a whole...never had anything from Shake though.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Has anyone run across one that actually tasted like chocolate or does that solely refer to the color.

I must know because I'm tired of disappointment.

I'm 0 for 14 at this point. Put me out of my searching misery!

They aren't going to be sweet, but they do taste of cocoa. My favorite is Sam Adam's Chocolate Bock. Young's Double Chocolate Stout is pretty good, especially mixed half and half with hard cider.. Rogue Ale makes a decent Chocolate Stout. If you want booze that tastes like chocolate, you're going about it wrong. Chocovine is a red wine chocolate blend that is amazeballs.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm an IPA girl, all the way. Black IPA, rye IPA, Imperial IPA, just a plain ol' IPA...I'm in. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Me too :)
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I had Youngs a couple weeks ago and thought I was a little watery. I personally like a porter the best.