Crunches and situps

Options
Ok. I used to be able to do a lot of crunches and situps to get definition in my stomach. Since I had a car accident my back is on the fritz as well as my neck. I have a chiropractor working on getting things back to normal. I want to be able to do sit ups and crunches but in a way that I dont have to lay down on the floor to do it. My body tells me yeah right when I lay down. Any advice?

Replies

• ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    PLANKS!!!! They make my abs WAY more sore than situps or crunches!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    You dont have to get on the floor to do sit ups or crunches there is tons of core/ab workouts you can do staning up and get great ripped up abs. I rarely get down and do those
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't like laying on the floor to do crunches either because it hurts my back so I do them on a exercise ball.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You dont have to get on the floor to do sit ups or crunches there is tons of core/ab workouts you can do staning up and get great ripped up abs. I rarely get down and do those

Can you give example exercises?!
  • sistertania
    Options
    What are planks?
  • iamstronger247
    Options
    how do u do crunches not on the floor?
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    i have fibromyalgia and it hurts my back also to get down on the ground to do crunches. Is it easier on your back to do them on an exercise ball ?
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have low back issues as well so I pretty much have to do anything but crunches. Look at the beachbody.com products they have quite a few workouts that involve core work standing up.
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    i have fibromyalgia and it hurts my back also to get down on the ground to do crunches. Is it easier on your back to do them on an exercise ball ?

It is much gentler on your back to use the exercise/stability ball. I have only had my ball a couple of weeks, but I find myself using a lot. I never did crunches previously because of the strain on my back. It is great for push ups, too. When I first started I could only manage three push ups and now I am up to ten no problem and sometimes I can get 15 done.

As far as crunches done while standing... Zumba covers that! With all the booty popping and gyrating you get a great workout in your core!
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    What are planks?

Here you go
    Lie face down on mat resting on the forearms, palms flat on the floor.
    Push off the floor, raising up onto toes and resting on the elbows.
    Keep your back flat, in a straight line from head to heels.
    Tilt your pelvis and contract your abdominals to prevent your rear end from sticking up in the air or sagging in the middle.
    Hold for 20 to 60 seconds, lower and repeat for 3-5 reps.

Your body will be straight as a board (like a plank) off the floor being supported on your toes and elbows/forearms.
  • shannonichole
    Options
    This isn't really about crunches, but your back. Have you tried "Rolfing"? http://www.rolf.org/

I had a really bad back and tailbone and a conventional chiropractor couldn't even make a dent in my pain, but after doing rolfing I am 100% better.

I said this because ab exercises can hurt your back more if you have bad form and rolfing will help alter your posture.