Tabata Training

Options
Tabata Training And It's Effect On Weight Loss"
Fast, Efficient Intense And Effective Fat Burning Workouts
"Tabata Training and It's Effect on Fat Loss"

A study was then done at Physical Activities Sciences Laboratory, Laval University, Quebec, Canada, and challenged the common belief among health professionals that low-intensity, long-duration exercise is the best program for fat loss. They compared the impact of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise and high-intensity aerobics on fat loss.

The bottom line was that the low intensity group burned more calories during their workouts almost twice as many.

But the high intensity group got 9 times more fat loss benefit for every calorie burned while exercising.

How did this happen? Compared to moderate-intensity endurance exercise, high- intensity intermittent exercise causes more calories and fat to be burned following the workout. They also said it may be that appetite is suppressed more following intense intervals.

The high intensity training raises the metabolic rate causing you to burn more calories after your training is long over with.

" How To Do Tabata Training"
Setting up a Tabata Training Workout
What you want to do is the most reps you can of a particular exercise in 20 seconds. We'll use dumbbell thrusts. It helps if you have a clock with a second hand that you can see clearly.

You want to be able to look at the clock while doing the exercise. Or I would suggest making a small investment in a Gymboss timer.

If possible have someone time you and count your reps. This will help you with your concentration on what your doing especially as you start to tire.

Start out with light weights this is not bodybuilding and pay close attention to exercise form especially as you begin to tire to prevent injury. Remember the key to burning off that body fat is raising your metabolism.

I would advise trying Tabata Training once or twice a week

(depending on your conditioning level) to start with.

Your aiming to do 8 sets, once you can do 8-10 reps on your last set add a little weight or another session per week to increase intensity.
Is Tabata Training The Ultimate Workout For Cardio And Fat Burning?
Is Tabata Training The Best for Weight Loss ?

Tabata training is a very intense form of Interval Training. I use and believe in the Interval and Tabata training methods for Weight loss.

The long cardio sessions are usefull but take too much time (and are boring).

Yes I do believe Tabatas and Intervals are the best training you can do for fat loss and don't discount the anaerobic benefits that you don't get with spending an hour on an exercise bike.

But Tabata Training is a very advanced form of training.Warning!! if you want to try Tabatas they are not for the weak hearted or unconditioned.

If you are a beginner, Learn Interval Training from the best Craig Ballantyne is the man when it comes to intervals. Check out his Turbulence Training site and you won't be sorry.

Start out slowly and gradually work into a full workout. As with any exercise program get a full physical check before you begin.

Combining a Weight Training program 3-4 days a week with Tabata's and/or interval training 2-3 days a week ( combined with a solid nutrition plan) will get you in the best shape( aerobic and anaerobic ) of your life.

That many workouts a week is for the well conditioned check out the workout I came up wih for a friend of mine shown below. Tabata's and Intervals twice a week and two total body weight training sessions a week. With any form of exercise you chose persistance and consitency are keys to success.

How Tabata Training Affects Your Weight Loss
We've been fed the "aerobic" lie for over 30 years. Even doctors have been fooled by this pervasive myth.

The truth is slow aerobic training is terribly inefficient when it comes to losing weight.

It all has to do with a 4-letter acronym: EPOC.

EPOC stands for Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption. It's a scientific way of describing the calories you burn after you are done exercising.

With aerobic training, once you're done, you no longer burn calories. That's it. Done.

But with high intensity exercise (even as short as 4 minutes at a time) your body continues to burn calories for up to 2 days later.

That's right - your body is still working hard burning that stubborn fat long after your workout is complete.

I have done this once think I am going to start training this way for a while. Got my Gym boss timer yesterday. It is a great tool. Good lukc and Always try something new. Challange your body and you will see great results and feel Great

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Wow! Sounds interesting. I will have to research this and try it out!!!
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    After reading your post, I did some research and I think I will give this a try. It will definitely take the boredom out of exercise for me. Because I have a wonderful husband, I will have a good coach to help me out with this. Thank you for the info!:drinker:
  • jalovec
    jalovec Posts: 62
    Options
    There's a good book that outlines a similar philosophy, with lots of studies to support it. It's called Body By Science. You may want to check it out :)
  • MunchkinHawk12
    MunchkinHawk12 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've done tabatas a couple times with training my cardio, but I'm still not sure how to implement it in the weight training way. I should read more about it to get that going too! Thanks for the info!
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There's also a great iphone app called iworkout muse that helps with tabata training. Enjoy!
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    "Start out with light weights this is not bodybuilding and pay close attention to exercise form especially as you begin to tire to prevent injury. "

I want to thank you for that point... and add my own emphasis.

Hi rate weights can be very dangerous if you get sloppy with form. So keep the weights light and WATCH YOUR FORM. Or have someone else watch you as they clock you.

Some hints:

1) If the exercise does not call for swinging (few do, but some Kettle Bell drills come to mind) then make sure you are NOT swinging your weights. Not only are you not getting as much out of your workout, you can also injure your joints.

2) Keep your core muscles tight! This is so HUGE. Tightening your core (one way is to try to suck your belly button back towards your spine) while doing any exercise at all will help build your core muscles (sexy abs!), burn more calories and protect your back and major joints from injury.

3) Stay away from impact exercises with ankle weights - or only do with proper guidance from a professional trainer. Ankle weights can kill your knees if you are jumping or swinging your legs around. I use them only for slow, controlled movements like with a balance ball.

I'm sure others can come up with more pointers... but if done carefully, Tabata training can be exceptional for weight loss as well as fast twitch muscle development (important for some sports).
  • adrienc
    adrienc Posts: 57
    Options
    here's a great site that will bring up a free Tabata clock on your computer:

http://www.tabatatimer.com/

There's also a lot of free Tabata/HIIT timer available on the internet for blackberry/Android/iPod
  • amanda_h
    amanda_h Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! :smile:
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    This sounds like Turbo Fire and what the girl Zusana from Bodyrock.tv does! Am I right?
  • BdaGolfer
    Options
    Just as an FYI - Craig Ballantyne emphasises a 3 day a week strategy with his Turbulance Training, so keep that in mind before you start designing a 6-7 day a week mix of weights and interval training. Such a workload can be tough to recover from in terms of rest and sufficient calories.

Alan