Foods for Higher Daily Calories?

Options
Even being as overweight as I am, I was astonished when I joined today and saw that I should be eating a little over 2200 calories a day. I thought I was doing good yesterday and only ate like 1200-1300. With my typical daily lifestyle, I feel like it will be difficult to consume that many calories on a daily basis. Does anyone have good foods/recipes for meals a bit higher on the calorie end for dinner but still obviously remaining in the healthy area.
Also to help get in those calories, what are some good snack foods to keep at the desk during the day and about how often should I consume them? I heard almonds were pretty good for that. Any other suggestions? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Almonds are great... eat a handful of raw unsalted a half hour before a meal. One way I increase my calories in the morning is to add a tablespoon of natural peanut butter (by that I mean the stuff that is ground at the grocery store) and a teaspoon of jelly to my oatmeal in the morning. Try apples with a tablespoon of peanut butter or string cheese for an easy snack.

I find it difficult to get to 1200 calories without the aide of peanut butter or nuts. I am getting ready to start P90X and need to increase my calories to 1600... so I am trying to figure out exactly how I am going to that. I have come up with some hearty stews and soups that have high protein due to having meat and beans that are 400 calories per serving.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1200 + exercise for so long that I feel like a failure in trying to help you.

That said, you can probably eat larger portions of meat (eat them early in the day, it'll help out your metabolism & not be sitting in your gut when you go to sleep). Also, nuts and nut butter like SaraTN says.

Do you like chocolate and red wine? You can always add in a piece of dark chocolate (or two) and a glass of red wine for antioxidants and blood flow ... and pleasure, if you like chocolate and red wine!

And don't worry, those calorie requirements will come down more quickly than you'd like. It gets easier :smile: And welcome!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Avocado is another good food that is higher in calories but healthy. I don't like eating mine plain, but I make a shake with it with milk and vanilla protein powder and it is really taste and filling. Comes in about 300 calories with half an avocado, 8 ounces of milk and half a scoop of my powder.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I like to add some nuts to my snacks during the day :wink: I weigh out a portion of Almonds and Walnuts and basically pick at them during the day :laugh:

Also maybe try some dried fruit here is a great website with the cal info on it http://www.healthcastle.com/dried_fruits.shtml

Another good one is cheese strings :wink: