New Kid on the Farm

Options
Hi everyone!

I am a 34 year old grad student with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and I am deficient in the growth hormone department. This meaning my body does not metabolize foods at an average pace resulting in obesity and slow weight loss. I just have to work extra hard than the "normal" overweight person to reach my goal, but I am determined to do it this time.

I've recently moved from Detroit to Nashville and this is my time to finally get to a healthy weight for the first time in my adult life. Like many of you, I've started and stopped MANY times! This time it feels different! I have a better understanding of what I am doing in terms of eating and exercise and I no longer live 3 minutes from several fast food joints (and the ones here close by 10:00 pm, even on the weekend!) so I am not as tempted anymore for fat food, though I do crave it sometimes.

I live on the family farm so I have lots of land to explore and walk without passersby shouting rude comments from the road. One of the benefits to this rural setting! I also go to the local YMCA 3 - 4 times a week.:flowerforyou:

This looks like a great support group and I am happy to be here!

J

Replies

• HidyleDidyle
    Options
    Welcome! It sounds like you are in a good place (both in location and in mind)! Speaking from my limited experience, My Fitness Pal is a great place to keep track of things, and you can make it as private or open as you want.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    OMG!! have always wanted to go to machu pichu since 6th grade!!! I fell in love with the Incan culture after learning about them in Social Studies class. How funny! Yay for you on getting to go next year. I have told my husband that we are going to go there one day for vacation!

Just thought it was cool you had that on your ticker! Good luck on your journey!
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Welcome!! You can do it!
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I also am from TN and hace PCOS! We CAN kick it's butt!
  • FatFarmJ
    Options
    OMG!! have always wanted to go to machu pichu since 6th grade!!! I fell in love with the Incan culture after learning about them in Social Studies class. How funny! Yay for you on getting to go next year. I have told my husband that we are going to go there one day for vacation!

Just thought it was cool you had that on your ticker! Good luck on your journey!

I did a report on Peru last year and fell in love with this country. I found a volunteer program that I am hoping to work with to see the country & I bought Rosetta Stone Spanish so I'm not totally in the dark. I refuse to squeeze this bum on a plane for 10 hours so this diet thing couldn't have come at a better time for me. What a goal this trip can be for losing 130 pounds! Good luck to you, also!
  • FatFarmJ
    Options
    Welcome! It sounds like you are in a good place (both in location and in mind)! Speaking from my limited experience, My Fitness Pal is a great place to keep track of things, and you can make it as private or open as you want.

It really looks like a great place to keep track of things and I love the app for my phone. Really helps to keep me accountable when I'm not at the computer. Good luck to you, too!
  • FatFarmJ
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:

Thanks! I have a goal of a 5K run. I recently got up the endurance to walk a full 5K so the run is my next step.
    Good luck to you and your marathon goal & I too want those size 6 jeans!
  • FatFarmJ
    Options
    Welcome!! You can do it!

Thanks Amanda! 12 pounds in 10 days? Wow! And congratulations on the little one!
  • FatFarmJ
    Options
    Welcome! I also am from TN and hace PCOS! We CAN kick it's butt!

Hi Water! It's nice to see a fellow Soul Cyster in these parts!

Let's get to kickin', shall we?