running inside vs. outside

Options
I have been training for a race I am running on Thanksgiving, and I have been really good about running 3-4 times a week...on a treadmill. Today, I thought I would switch it up and run my 3 miles outside. Let's just say I ran about half a mile and the asthma kicked in and I was done. Any suggestions about how to go from running inside to outside?

Replies

• cef957
    cef957 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me! My husband runs a lot outside. He said to make sure the treadmill was at least at a 2.0 incline. I also think it has a lot to do with wind, etc. Also, you may be running faster outside since it is not as controlled as on the treadmill. I am also afraid that I will trip. I would love to hear other's advice too!
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Running inside and outside are like different sports. A good treadmill absorbs alot of the impact of landing. But here are a few things you might do:

Run indoors on an incline as you know..
    Wear one of those nasal strips to expand your breathing capacity when outside.
    Slow down outside and take it easy. Expect initially to run slower outside that inside.
  • suzeqt
    suzeqt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Treadmill runs are generally much easier than outdoor runs, unless you're running intervals. I've heard that running on a treadmill is like running downhill outside. To replicate outdoor running, you should bump up your incline to 1 or try a hill program on the treadmill. I keep all my runs outside as much as I can and run on the treadmill for easier runs or on bad weather days. I find that there really is a big difference between treadmill runs and outdoor runs. I actually favor outdoor runs for change of scenery and a variation in the workout on my legs. Good luck!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It is very different! I think one of the main things for you may be your asthma. Inside is a controlled environment, outside all bets are off! You may have been assaulted with allergens right away and you just couldn't overcome it. For my asthma, I take advair as a controller to keep from having sudden attacks as well as allergy meds. Also, I have my inhaler with me but I HATE using it because I don't like the way it makes me feel.

For the running, I'm a beginner myself, so I don't know much. I do know that your muscles need to get used to "pushing back" against the ground. I'm positive I seen many articles on this very subject. You might want to try active.com or just google, "from treadmill to running outside". Good luck on your race! I think you have enough time to get it figured out.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    First off, you are not alone. The exact same thing happens to me. Its as if the moment I step outside to take my exercise into the fresh air my lungs go "Um...yeah right." I have asthma that usually only acts up seasonally or when I'm running...outside. Ha ha!

Everything everyone said here makes perfect sense. I haven't tried any of these things because I have so many other things that I'm dealing with that I have stuck to the treadmill or my exercise dvds. But if my other health issues clear up, you better believe I will do what I can to be outside running with the breezes in my hair! :o)