Does it matter WHEN you exercise?

Options
Is one time of day healthier than another? Is working out at night/before bed bad for you?

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    They say you have more energy of a morning, but I hate mornings, even though I do walk 3 miles each mornings.

Bottom line, you do what works best for you, that the important thing.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it matters or not; I exercise the MINUTE I get home for the simple reason that if I don't go that soon, I may not go at all:sad:
    I think the thing that matters the most is that you DO exercise!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I think the best time to exercise is when you find it easiest to do it. Personally, I like to exercise earlier in the day so I have it done. Some people can work out late but I have a hard time sleeping if I work out too close to bedtime.
    Everyone is different-play around with it and find out what works best for you!:smile:
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    I don't know that working out at night is necessarily bad for you... I do know that when you exercise in the morning it jumpstarts your metabolism and when you exercise at night it gets your adrenaline up and may make it more difficult to fall asleep. Personally my schedule is so hectic that I get my exercise in whenever I can. Sometimes that's in the morning and other times it's right before bed.
  • lock0134
    Options
    I work out m-th, and sun in the evening time because it's when I watch tv, so I get on the machine and exercise from 30min to an hour during my fav shows. That way I don't get bored. When I used to go to the gym, I'd go in the morning right when I got up, less ppl and got it out of the way.

I think if you exercise too late than you are used to it could make you have a bit of insomnia.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Afternoons work best for me. It's really the only time I can fit it in (nap time for my kids).
  • wh0a_is_me
    Options
    I've heard that working out first thing in the morning is most efficient in burning calories. But, like everyone is saying, you should choose a time when you will workout at your best. For example, I rather workout in the morning to get it out of the way, but usually my energy lacks & I drag my feet through it.. so I rather workout in the evening when I can put my all into it.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Either way has benefits. Working out in the morning on an empty stomach will yield you more fat burning as with no food in your stomach your body uses stored fat as energy. Also because you had a full nights rest your morning workouts tend to me more intense.
    Evening workouts an hour or so before bed sends you to bed with an reved up metabolism and since you should not have any food in your stomach you benefit there are well. However since you have been up all day you tend to have less energy thus a less intense workout.

So, pick what works best for you.
  • MaryBeth1989
    Options
    I work out in the morning just because I have a hard time resting after a good work out. It seems like it gives me energy.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    listen to your body and do what works best for your body and your schedule. Just keeping working out.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've read many articles on this and the one I found most credible was that first and foremost anytime you feel motivated or have time to exercise is the best time to exercise. If this isn't a factor for you, they recommended in the afternoon before dinner because you have already fueled your body with breakfast and lunch so you have a reservoir of good energy to expend and it keeps you from overeating in the evening and you have plenty of time to wind down before bedtime.

I exercise at different times depending on my schedule, but the time I hate most is early in the morning...for some reason it wears me out and ruins my whole day. Find the time best for you and enjoy!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    There are times I get up in the morning, eat breakfast, chill out for a while and then get up and exercise. Afternoon after lunch works too. It's all up to you. :happy:
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It all depends on YOU. :) Whether your a morning person or evening. I normally go around noon because if I wait until later in the evening, I'm too lazy and don't want to. Because of that I don't perform as well. But if your not a morning person and have more energy later in the day then thats probably the best time. Theres no best time that works for everyone.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    you will find many different opinions about this topic.

in MY opinion, if you are not working out because it's not the "best" time to work out, then it's a bad time for you.

do what works for you, your family, your schedule.

some people are able to work out in the morning and get it "over with" so they can get to work and then to family commitments in the evening. some people are able to workout, shower and sleep all night.

me personally, i like the mid afternoon hours to work out.

if you go to the gym, you will find thin and body builders there no matter what time of the day it is.

if it isn't the best time for you, then it isn't the best time.

cheering you on!
    Jane
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I work out when I can. I try and make it part of my "work" schedule. Either I will work out before work and get ready at the gym or I will go right to the gym when I get off work before I even go home. The most important thing is that your going! Keep it up!