Healthy Savory Snacks Suggestions!

Options
Hi

It seems that there are a lot of sweet healthy snack suggestions out there but I am more of a savory girl. I love crisps, dips,nachos etc and I feel that's what I crave the most!

Has anyone any suggestions on savory snacks that might combat these cravings?! Please!

Thanks
H

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    There is something I really love. Cut up about 100 calories of avocado into cubes , then shake HOT sauce on it , eat and savor!

This is so satisfying and full of flavor and of course , you can decide if you want a bit more avocado, but a small Haas avocado does the trick for me.....a wonderful use of calories.

I like the Hot Sauce brands described in this article but you probably have your favorites!!!!

http://www.thekitchn.com/better-than-tabasco-louisianas-151272
  • happihazza
    happihazza Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! I love avocado so will definitely be giving this a try :)

Thanks!
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bbq flavoured snack-a-jacks with light cream cheese on them, and only 40cals each :) yummy!
  • Munkey83
    Munkey83 Posts: 3
    Options
    My trainer's recommended 9Bars, which are just grainy goodness really and no added cr@p.

I tried a couple from Holland and Barrett and they are soo nice... currently on 3 for 2 in Tescos though for a box of 4 at £1.99 a box.

Also I've not tried yet but read it somewhere and sounds nice... Baked Chick Peas... just like crisps..

Coat some chickpeas in chilli powder, flakes, or paprika or cinammon and stick them in the oven for half hour or so until crunchy.
    Apparently a really good snack
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Presumably you coat them after soaking???? Sorry to sound stupid - have only ever used tinned chickpeas :blushing:
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My new savoury snack of choice is dry roasted chickpeas from Holland and Barrett. They have 3 different flavours and have a very satisfying crunch!
  • happihazza
    happihazza Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Seems like chick peas are worth a try!
  • ichigomaybridge
    ichigomaybridge Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bbq flavoured snack-a-jacks with light cream cheese on them, and only 40cals each :) yummy!

I prefer the plain rice cakes but with flavoured light cream cheese (my current favourite is cracked black pepper flavour, but sweet chilli is good too!).
    Then crumple about half a slice of wafer-thin ham on the top.
    Delicious and only about 50 calories in total. And you really feel like you've had something.
  • cherow123
    cherow123 Posts: 13
    Options
    Cottage cheese with garlic and herbs mixed in = Yummy dip for cucumbers or veggie chips

Sliced deli meat spread with a dollup of low fat cream cheese and a spoon ful of salsa, rolled up

I also make chicken salad out of white meat chicken (sometimes smoked to add more flavor) almonds, a few red grapes, Greek yogurt instead of mayo, and some garlic and herb seasoning. It's really good on a few flatbread crisps or cucumbers if you are low carb.

Hummus & Veg or edammame "guac" and veg
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    My new favourite is Popchips.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You can use canned chickpeas for this recipe, just drain them really well.
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I prefer savory snacks as well, tostitos bite size chips are decent and salty without being filled with crazy sodium (110 mg per serving). As of recently I have been getting pumpkin seeds and they do have about 14g of fat per serving but I feel the health benefits outweigh the bad. and again they are salty without being packed in sodium. Those are just my favorites.
  • amjelot
    amjelot Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    - low sodium deli turkey rolled around a light string cheese or spread with cream cheese and rolled up
    - 2-4 tbsps. hummus (I like The Fresh Co. olive hummus or Sabra roasted red pepper hummus) with carrots or red bell pepper strips
    - light string cheese and turkey pepperoni (17 pepperoni slices are less than 100 cal!)
    - popcorn with savory flavoring - I've had white cheddar, salt & vinegar, and cracked black pepper and all were great
    - I make a cream cheese spread in my food processor by chopping green olives in it first then adding light cream cheese. It makes a great spread on deli meat for roll ups, or on veggies.
    - half an avocado mashed with 2 tbsps. salsa also makes a great dip for veggies or chips
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have been craving savory vs sweet lately too!

Cottage cheese (sometimes I put a spoonful of salsa on top)
    String cheese & dry roasted almonds
    Deli meat rolled up
    Cucumber slices & salsa
    Carrot sticks & sunflower seed butter
    Cut up veggies & guacamole or hummus
    Whole wheat crackers & cheese slices
    Rice cakes & peanut butter
    Hardboiled egg
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My trainer's recommended 9Bars, which are just grainy goodness really and no added cr@p.

I tried a couple from Holland and Barrett and they are soo nice... currently on 3 for 2 in Tescos though for a box of 4 at £1.99 a box.

Also I've not tried yet but read it somewhere and sounds nice... Baked Chick Peas... just like crisps..

Coat some chickpeas in chilli powder, flakes, or paprika or cinammon and stick them in the oven for half hour or so until crunchy.
    Apparently a really good snack

The chick peas are really tasty. They're so versatile too, so you could flavor them almost any way you'd personally like (sweet or savory)

You could make small salads and pick and choose between different light dressings, cottage cheese, salsa, meats, cheeses etc. to put on it in any combination depending on your desired amount of calories or macros.

Hommus on pitas, wraps, vegetables, etc. is amazing!
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    a hard-boiled egg, string cheese stick, cucumber with salt and pepper or a drizzle of soy sauce, carrots with light ranch (I make it with greek yogurt).

I basically snack all day on mostly savory stuff
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Mashed pumpkin, lentils , garlic and chillies chopped up fine, low cal can use it like a dip. Yummy.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Ohh And water crackers with peanut butter...now I'm hungry...lol
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hummus, guacamole, nuts
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash wedges

cut a butternut squash into chuncky fries, spray with fry light and season with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika and if you like a kick cayenne pepper.

Shove in oven for about 20-30mins depending how thick they are until they're soft in middle and brown on the outside (don't worry if the edges get a little blackened, it's just the sugar caramelising)

They're about 40cals per 100g less than half the cals of white or sweet potatos done the same way.

They're good on there own or dipped in reduced fat sour cream :)