Trying to lose weight and Breastfeeding

Options
Hello everyone,
Well, I'm very new here. I created my profile a few weeks ago but never really stuck to anything. I am trying to lose my 10 lbs of baby weight plus another 10 or 15 lbs more. I am breastfeeding though, so really I want to eat healthy and get moving more so I can lose weight and not jeopardize my milk supply by restricting too many calories. Any women who are breastfeeding and trying to lose weight also? What is working for you? I am officially starting as of tomorrow morning, and am excited about it. I think it's time to get these pounds off, lol. Here's hoping to sticking to this and to a very successful journey! :)

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    wormy_waving.gif
    Welcome to MFP, it is a great tool to help you.
  • macalloway
    Options
    Lots and lots of water! If the weather is good where you live walking with the baby is a great way to get out and get some fresh air. I love fit tv 's yoga. I can do it right in the house with the kids and it's a work out ( sun moon kicked my butt) Just lots of fluids to keep up that milk supply! Good luck and welcome!!

Mel
  • beccabeccac
    beccabeccac Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wasn't actively trying to lose weight while I was breastfeeding, but one food that I found both then, and now, to be very filling and also good for me was oatmeal. As an added bonus it helps increase your milk supply. I had a variety of recipes (some healthier than others) that incorporated oatmeal. One recipe was for oatmeal zucchini cookies, and though they were a little dry, they were very yummy. I also would grind up oatmeal in my magic bullet to a kind of flour consistency, and use it in place of breadcrumbs in meatloaf or as a breading on chicken (mixed half and half with breadcrumbs). Be sure not to restrict your calories too much or your body will slow it's milk production. But if you're really watching what you eat and getting a healthy mix of nutritious foods you'll feel more full anyway than if you eat a lot of processed stuff. Also, eat a lot of dairy. Cheese and yogurt are good for you
    (in moderation) and ensure that you are getting enough calcium, for you and to pass on to your little one. Good luck!
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    May I suggest that you just concentrate on your baby and this special time you are having with your baby. I did not have to worry a bit about losing when I was breastfeeding. It just happened. When I stopped......., that is when the dieting began. Take a break and cherish this time with your baby!
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You've got to be careful to get enough calories and vitamins while you're nursing. I don't remember how many calories it is that you're supposed to have (it's been a long time for me) but I would consult with your doctor just to make sure. Even though your body will compensate and provide what the baby needs so long as you're not starving yourself, you don't want to harm your own body in the process.

Congrats on the new baby, and on breastfeeding! I'm a HUGE breastfeeding supporter, so it always makes me happy to see someone who can and is willing to do it.

And good luck meeting your weight goals too. :happy:
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    hello!

Im breastfeeding exclusively and so far have lost 11 pounds :D I have allowed myself to have 2000 calories a day and it has been working, slowly (ive been at this for 3 months now) Although i have lost more than half of what i set out for my goal yay! Limiting your calories to under 2000 wont jeopardize your milk supply, it will steal nutrients from YOU and when you get older you might see the effects like osteoporosis for example. Taking in 2000 cals a day you will still lose weight, but it will be a slower process but healthier in the long run.

To account for your breastfeeding cals, add it in as food, search breastfeeding mother and add 500 or 600 cals or whatever makes your total 2000 cals.

feel free to add me or msg me if you have any questions :)
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I too am currently breastfeeding but my daughter has turned one this month so I am trying harder than before. Recommendations I have found are (like mentioned) LOTS of water, easy but many cardio activities. I find doing the wii fit and Exercise TV on demand to be amazing for getting cardio in before my 3 kids are up, during nap time, and after they go to bed. Leslie Samson (I think thats her name don't quote me!) her walk at home videos are amazing! I get 1-2 miles in a night, plus a yoga video. I just really started on the 6th of this month, but have already lost 6 lbs. I am eating most of my exercise calories but I have added breastfeeding in to my cardio as it does burn between 200-500 calories per 24 hours. You are always making milk, so always burning calories there. :wink: Make sure to get a lot of fruits and veggies in-especially green veggies-most are less than 50 cal for 1 cup's worth! One of my biggest tips (so far, as I am by far no expert! Lol) is to follow the portion sizes on everything and distribute your calories over the whole day. I found I was not eating all day at all and only eating dinner and bedtime snacks.

If you have any questions, KellyMom.com has been an amazing recourse for me and they have a few good articles on this very subject. I'd also be glad to answer questions and offer any support. Congrats on nursing your little one! Huge accomplishment in itself. :flowerforyou:

Edited to add: Ditto whoever suggested oatmeal! Get a big container of rolled oat and eat it for breakfast daily! Will definitely keep that supply up! A breastfeeding needs an extra 500 calories a day and one bowl of oatmeal with some maple syrup and brown sugar mixed in can be a perfect addition to your daily diet.

And to the person(s) saying breastfeeding will help lose the weight, that is not always true. I have gained 25 lbs since having my daughter 1 year ago, and we are still breastfeeding. :grumble:
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

"Yes! Nursing mothers can lose weight safely if they follow some basic guidelines.
    Six guidelines for safe dieting during lactation

Wait until your baby is two months old before dieting
    It's best not to do anything consciously to lose weight until after the second month. This gives your body enough time to successfully establish a healthy milk supply that is less likely to be adversely affected if your caloric intake is restricted. Breastfeeding your baby, on average, burns 200-500 calories per day (above what you needed to maintain your pre-pregnancy weight) -- so keep in mind that even without a weight loss program you are burning extra calories.

Breastfeed without restriction
    Research tells us that both more frequent breastfeeding and breastfeeding longer than six months increases maternal weight loss.

Eat at least 1500-1800 calories per day
    While nursing, you should not consume less than 1500-1800 calories per day, and most women should stay at the high end of this range. Some mothers will require much more than this, but studies show that going below this number may put supply at risk.

Keep weight loss at less than 1.5 pounds per week
    Most moms can safely lose up to 1.5 pounds per week or 6 pounds per month after the second month and not affect milk supply or baby's well being. One study has suggested that short-term weight loss of 2.2 pounds (1 kg) per week is not a problem (in this study, moms dieted for 11 days).

Decrease the calories gradually
    A sudden drop in calories can reduce milk supply. Some moms notice this during an illness, although dehydration and/or medication use could also be a factor in reduced milk supply when mom is sick. It has been hypothesized that a sudden calorie decrease can cause mom's body to go into "starvation mode" and cut nonessential resources such as milk production.

Avoid quick-fix solutions
    Liquid diets, low-carb diets, fad diets, weight loss medication, etc. are not recommended while breastfeeding.

What might happen if a nursing mother loses weight too quickly?

* In most instances of too-rapid weight loss, it is not the breastmilk (composition or supply) that would suffer, but mom's nutrition and/or health.
    * Excessive dieting can result in a reduced milk supply.
    * According to Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (3rd Edition, Riordan, pp 440), it is noted that fad or rapid weight loss programs should be avoided because fat-soluble environmental contaminants and toxins stored in body fat are released into the milk when caloric intake is severely restricted. I was unable to find a definition of "severely restricted" but I expect that it is significantly under 1500 calories per day (which they called a "modest intake"). I've included information on a study on this subject below. See also the info at this website regarding environmental contaminants and breastfeeding.

Three great tips for weight loss (whether you are nursing or not)

Make dietary changes -- decrease your fat intake to 20-25% or less of total calories; keep your protein intake up to prevent loss of muscle mass (Recommended Intake of protein for nursing mothers is 65 grams/day for the first 6 months and 62 grams/day between 6 and 12 months).

Spread your calorie intake out -- instead of 2-3 meals, eat 3 smaller meals with snacks between. Your body will be less likely to go into "starvation mode" if you are eating small amounts throughout the day.

Exercise moderately so that you burn more fat while keeping lean muscle mass. Resistance/weight training is a good way to build muscle mass. A person with more muscle mass burns more calories, even when resting."
  • mommylucy
    Options
    May I suggest that you just concentrate on your baby and this special time you are having with your baby. I did not have to worry a bit about losing when I was breastfeeding. It just happened. When I stopped......., that is when the dieting began. Take a break and cherish this time with your baby!

I agree with this one...just focus on eating "whole" foods; things unprocessed and fresh. Drink tons of water (I drank lots of milk too), and the weight will come off. Don't eat for two, just eat good foods. This time is totally precious and it's one of the few things I'd actually go back and do all over again...love my babies (9 and 12 now), but the whole infant thing is grueling!! Breastfeeding is YOUR time with that sweet baby; it'll be gone before you know it.

Good luck with all you do...
  • theresnoeggs
    Options
    ^^Thats the article I was thinking from KellyMom! LOVE that site!
  • theresnoeggs
    Options

I agree with this one...just focus on eating "whole" foods; things unprocessed and fresh. Drink tons of water (I drank lots of milk too), and the weight will come off. Don't eat for two, just eat good foods. This time is totally precious and it's one of the few things I'd actually go back and do all over again...love my babies (9 and 12 now), but the whole infant thing is grueling!! Breastfeeding is YOUR time with that sweet baby; it'll be gone before you know it.

Definitely enjoy your baby, but don't be fooled to think breastfeeding will help all mothers lose weight.. Enjoy each feeding, but remember, exercising while baby sleeps and eating properly will help with your weight loss, and make for a happier mommy, and relax you during feedings, letting baby feel that goodness.
  • Fiorentina
    Options

My thoughts exactly! Keep exercising, eat healthy foods, drink plenty of water, and enjoy this wonderful, wonderful time! I nursed both my children (now 11 and 8) and although it was difficult at first (thank goodness for La Leche League!) it was a fantastic experience. I know it helped me lose a lot of weight, but I had to be super careful not to snack too much! I was always starving after nursing, so I'd eat homemade granola, fruit, and the occasional bag of Doritos! :-)

Good luck!
  • CDT12000
    CDT12000 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm trying to do the same thing as well! I hve about 34pds to lose altogether. I just had my 3rd baby 1 week ago. I am tired of being tired. I want to be a fit and active mom for my kids. With 34 extra pds on a 5'2" frame I have not been happy. I am breastfeeding exclusively fo 6 months but I am only counting that as 300 calories per day. I want to be conservative so as not to decieve myself. I believe breastmilk is about 17 cals per ounce but I'm willing to make it an even 20/oz to account for cals it takes to make it. I am open to anyone else's theories or thoughts. Anyhow, I am excited to see I am not alone!
  • mendy07
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replies you all are a wealth of information! Well, my baby is 6 months now and I plan to continue breastfeeding until she's a year old at least, so I'm not trying to do anything to jeopardize that. I have not been eating the greatest of diets either, so what I want to do is eat healthy, get active, and I'm sure the weight will start to fall off if I do things correctly. I guess what I'm trying to do is eat better and get moving more, which is the only way to go when breatsfeeding. I did lose 23 of the 33 lbs I gained, I'm just stuck at 10, so that's what my goal is first. Lose the 10, and then the other 10 or 15.

My caloric intake according to this forum with the information I provided should be about 1300 or so. The article that trizayles provided helps a lot (thank you!) because I just read on there that I should add about 500 calories to that to keep my supply up. So, I will shoot for 1800 or 1900 calories every day which I think will be good if I eat healthy stuff and get active. :)

And CDT12000, I'm sure the weight will come off also! Although 1 week after my baby was born the last thing on my mind was losing weight! Now, 6 months is a different story, I think it's time to get the weight off. :)

Again, thanks for all the suggestions, they were very helpful! :)
  • theresnoeggs
    Options
    Hi! I'm trying to do the same thing as well! I hve about 34pds to lose altogether. I just had my 3rd baby 1 week ago. I am tired of being tired. I want to be a fit and active mom for my kids. With 34 extra pds on a 5'2" frame I have not been happy. I am breastfeeding exclusively fo 6 months but I am only counting that as 300 calories per day. I want to be conservative so as not to decieve myself. I believe breastmilk is about 17 cals per ounce but I'm willing to make it an even 20/oz to account for cals it takes to make it. I am open to anyone else's theories or thoughts. Anyhow, I am excited to see I am not alone!

17 cals per ounce is right, please remember your body is also burning cals by making, storing, and excreting the milk. Takes a lot of work to make the oxytocin and prolactin and change that and so many nutrient, antibodies, and so so much more into breastmilk, then you burn calories just while the baby eats, reason so many moms become so sleepy after 5-10 minutes of nursing.

I hope no one thinks breastfeeding only burns the calories in each ounce of breastmilk.....
  • theresnoeggs
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replies you all are a wealth of information! Well, my baby is 6 months now and I plan to continue breastfeeding until she's a year old at least, so I'm not trying to do anything to jeopardize that. I have not been eating the greatest of diets either, so what I want to do is eat healthy, get active, and I'm sure the weight will start to fall off if I do things correctly. I guess what I'm trying to do is eat better and get moving more, which is the only way to go when breatsfeeding. I did lose 23 of the 33 lbs I gained, I'm just stuck at 10, so that's what my goal is first. Lose the 10, and then the other 10 or 15.

My caloric intake according to this forum with the information I provided should be about 1300 or so. The article that trizayles provided helps a lot (thank you!) because I just read on there that I should add about 500 calories to that to keep my supply up. So, I will shoot for 1800 or 1900 calories every day which I think will be good if I eat healthy stuff and get active. :)

And CDT12000, I'm sure the weight will come off also! Although 1 week after my baby was born the last thing on my mind was losing weight! Now, 6 months is a different story, I think it's time to get the weight off. :)

Congrats on making it 6 mos! Not an easy feat! One year is an amazing goal and you seem very educated about your choices. Sounds like your plans (eat healthy and get active) are the same as mine. You can do this! Please hit me up if you need anything.
  • mendy07
    Options

Congrats on making it 6 mos! Not an easy feat! One year is an amazing goal and you seem very educated about your choices. Sounds like your plans (eat healthy and get active) are the same as mine. You can do this! Please hit me up if you need anything.

You are right, it's not easy! Especially with working full time and having to pump twice a day at work and freezing milk, and then the task of washing all the pump parts and bottles....but it's worth it in my opinion! :)

Thanks for the encouragement and support, truly appreciate it! Not just from you but everyone on here! :)
  • theresnoeggs
    Options

You are right, it's not easy! Especially with working full time and having to pump twice a day at work and freezing milk, and then the task of washing all the pump parts and bottles....but it's worth it in my opinion! :)

Thanks for the encouragement and support, truly appreciate it! Not just from you but everyone on here! :)

Pumping is the worst! I swear moms who pump are even stronger! I pumped 2x a shift when I went back to work at just 5 weeks postpartum. I stopped working at 6 months and stopped pumping, now I can barely get 2 oz! The pump and I had a love-hate, mostly hate, relationship.