weight loss plateaus

Options
Hi. I began my weight journey after I had my baby. the minute i got home with my baby i began the process of cutting my calories. I was 216 lbs when I delivered my son and 12 weeks later I am 169. I however could not push past 175 for the first two months because i wasn't having time to exercise (other than walking). I Finally found the time to start running about 3 miles and in two weeks was able to get down to 169. However, with the combination of weight on my knees and lack of exercise for over a year, I am now suffering from terrible knee problems. I Tried resting but to no avail. the minute i even try to jog now, its extremely painful. I am now looking into purchasing a bike to continue with my weight loss. However, obviously, ever since I stopped exercising I haven't connoted to lose weight, but how come if I am following a 1200 calorie diet I can't lose weight this way alone? I know it may not be at such a fast pace but i should still be able to lose weight and instead, my weight is just maintaining. Will my body just be stuck at this weight?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    weight loss comes from a calorie deficit and if you can't lose without exercise then you are eating more than you think...

do you weigh your solids, measure your liquids...???

a weight loss plateau happens when you eat at maintenance.
  • BlackDaisy85
    BlackDaisy85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    should i be eating more solids or liquids? I do measure my food as best I can. maybe i am eating extra calories because when I eat out, even thought they give the calorie count ,there may be extra calories that I don't know of and can't account for. other than that, I have been following a 1200 calorie diet writing everything down. I was told I shouldn't eat less than 1200. I think diet just may not be enough for me and i need to be very physically active in order to lose weight. i have heard its norma to have plateaus though. how long do they usually last?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you aren't losing weight because your logging is inaccurate. You are eating more than you think.

get a food scale and weigh your solids, use measuring cups/spoons for liquids...and choose correct entries.

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit and if you are not losing weight you are eating more than 1200 calories a day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1186508-weighing-food-vs-measuring-wow?hl=Wow&page=4#posts-18526270
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this 'plateau'? You mention a good bit of pounds lost in 12 weeks, I think. It can't hurt to strive for more accuracy in your logging, but 216 to 169 in 12 weeks is not a plateau.

Ps-nothing wrong with walking. Certainly don't want to do too much too soon and further injure yourself. Also now that you've lost some weight, you may want to reassess your goals and change to losing only 1 pound per week - gives you more calories to consume - and you'll likely notice more energy.
  • stferris
    stferris Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have always had bad knees and although they are better now that I've lost some weight I know where your coming from. What worked great for me was swimming and aqua aerobics. Being in the water put SOOOO much less stress on my knees and it is a really good work out.Hope this helps good luck.
  • BlackDaisy85
    BlackDaisy85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do measure my food with spoons/cups etc. trust me im not eating more calories. I say i was at a plateau because the scale wouldnt budge from 169 for over a week but it finally did i am back to 168.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can take a while for the numbers on the scale to change due to water retention and weight fluctuation day to day. Don't get discouraged! Keep up the great work and you'll get there.