Hitting a running Wall at 10 MIles and cant push past

Options
2»

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Dates are fantastic. I don't get on well with gels as they upset my stomach if I have more than around one per run. 2 Medjool dates have around 20 grams of carbs. So I normally have the occasional gel interspersed with dates for anything over 10 miles. Experiment and after a while you can find the best time to start refueling. Also to add the majority of Gels are Vegan

Also to add another thing try doing 2 runs in a day (one morning and one evening) do two 6 milers then mentally you'll realise you can run more than 10 in a day.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Endurance isn't built over night. To are at a great spot to be running a December marathon. I'd start drinking some water/gaterade during your runs. Are you eating/drinking enough thoughout the day? It's totally normal to feel like you cannot keep going. To feel like you've "hit a wall" to feel all your muscles just stop working. I just view it as building endurance. If I always stopped when I felt that way, I would never have ran, period. The feeling is normal. Good luck with your training. :)

The first time I ran 6 miles, I felt like I could never continue..
    The first time I ran 8 miles, I thought I had just completed a marathon & my body was destroyed
    The first time I ran 13 miles, I was shaking and thought I'd never be able to run further
    The first time I ran 18 miles, I didn't even understand how I continued to finish the dustance
    The first time I ran a marathon, I thought surely I was dying.

Now that I've ran 6 marathons I've said the term "it's JUST a marathon"- what? Lol yeah...

You'll be fine :P
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I started getting serious about running after the first of the year, at that time could only run 3 Miles. Im up to 10 miles and can maintain a 9:30/Mile pace, however my problem is I am hitting a huge wall starting at around 7 miles. I push myself mentally and remind myself that my mind gives up before my body does. Now Ive run into a problem (Pun intended) that my legs and body start giving up at around 10 miles and I get hit with extreme fatigue. The farthest I got was 10.81

So I want to run the Dallas Marathon in Dec, any tips advice on how to push past this 10 mile hump?

I get the feeling that you're not using a training plan. If that's the case, I'd strongly suggest that you get a plan and use it.

If you have a training plan, tell us about your weekly mileage and running history.