Anyone's done a Triathlon before?

Options
Due to an injury that's kept me from running for more than nine weeks, I started swimming and biking alternatively.
I'm thinking about doing a sprint triathlon this fall maybe, once I can safely run again.

Anyone's got any experience with that? Swimming will be the biggest issue, since I've never really learned any
proper freestyle swimming techniques.

Can anyone recommend a beginner triathlon's training plan? Maybe I can skip the running part for the next two
weeks or so and just focus on swimming and biking, but I'm not sure how to start (a proper training plan, that is)

Would love any kind of advice. Thanks guys :)

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I didn't know how to properly freestyle (ie didn't even put my head in the water) until I joined a master's swim group in January (a few years back). 25m was exhausting for me. By the end of June, I completed my first sprint distance triathlon. I was overweight, out of shape and still managed.

Do you have anyone who can help you with your swim technique? Technique is key for swimming. Check your area for local triathlon clubs or a master swim team, they should be able to help you out. Ideally, hiring a coach is best but most of us don't have that option.
    You can check out here for swim tips too
    http://www.swimsmooth.com

As for training plans, places like beginnertriathlete.com have tons a free plans.

I didn't even use a training plan, I just ran, bike and swam twice a week (I don't recommend that method). I'd also recommend Your First Triathlon by Joe Friel. The book is great and covers pretty much all the bases for new triathletes and it includes a number of training plans.

My biggest advice - if it is an open water swim, practice in open water!! It is a lot different from being in a pool or just swimming at the beach even if you are comfortable with the water.
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that sounds awesome! I've been thinking about taking a couple of private lessons. Perhaps I can combine it with training for that huge entry exam for an AT postgrad program.. they have all sorts of preparation classes including swimming.

Thanks for the tip! :)
  • lealorali
    lealorali Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first sprint tri June 8 so I don't want to purport to be an expert but I have found the site beginnertriathlete.com to be an amazing resource! You can create a training plan there. I LOVE their log- I actually switched there from My Daily Mile.
    Rest up for sure! Just focus on swimming and biking for a while!
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I did 2 in one summer.
    I was 365lbs.

It was a lot of fun, and very rewarding, but swimming isn't for me.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    www.beginnertriathlete.com. All kinds of info there.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Due to an injury that's kept me from running for more than nine weeks, I started swimming and biking alternatively.
    I'm thinking about doing a sprint triathlon this fall maybe, once I can safely run again.

Anyone's got any experience with that? Swimming will be the biggest issue, since I've never really learned any
    proper freestyle swimming techniques.

Can anyone recommend a beginner triathlon's training plan? Maybe I can skip the running part for the next two
    weeks or so and just focus on swimming and biking, but I'm not sure how to start (a proper training plan, that is)

Would love any kind of advice. Thanks guys :)
    I did a sprint and an Olympic tri this spring. I didn't follow a plan. I already had a good running base from doing a marathon in January and a half in March. I kept running 4 days a week and I just added in spin classes twice a week and one outdoor group ride and went swimming twice a week. Taught myself to swim with my face in the water and bilateral breathe. It worked for me. However, if you would like a more traditional plan beginner triathlete has some good ones as does Garmin connect. Or this site has a bunch of free plans. http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms.asp Triathlons are a ton of fun!! Enjoy!
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Tris have been a big part of my fitness journey over the last 5 years or so.

Like you I started out as a very weak swimmer - I was breaststroke only, and could only swim a lap or two. Now swimming is my favorite of the 3 disciplines and my strongest.

A few of my big lessons learned:

1) tris are great because you are training in three areas - so you can distribute the injury load. I am in a multi sports group at my Y, and we have a yearly cycle of swim focus Winter, run focus spring, bike/tri focus Summer, run focus Fall, December rest/recover, repeat. Not only does it help avoid over-working one injury area, you also get some psychological rest and remotivation as you change focus with the seasons.

2) Initially learning to swim, expect some frustration and realize it may be a struggle at first. I started with one professional lesson per week, then practicing at least two other times before the next lesson. It was a real struggle for about 6 weeks when suddenly I had my first breakthrough and I could swim continuously without stopping. Once you get to that point, join a US Masters affiliated swim club as soon as possible. Most are beginner friendly but you can ask around to be sure.

3) With all that caveat about how swimming can at times - especially as a beginner - be hard to learn, there is NOTHING I have found in the fitness world so rewarding as when I make progress with swimming. You know it's hard, you are at a certain level of speed/endurance, and it's hard work to improve your technique and build fitness - but when you do make that improvement you KNOW you have accomplished something.

4) Swimsmooth.com is your friend
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i can give my endorsement to beginnerthiathlete - i used their 2x balanced program for my first sprint in april and it was awesome! i was able to finish the tri and i loved the training program - very structured and easy to follow. it was challenging, but not so much training that it took over my life. now i'm using their run-focused olympic distance training plan. much more intense, and much more fun too!

for swimming, i started where you did. i never got any training as a kid or an adult. i started with breast stroke and just incorporated as many freestyle lengths as i could until i was swimming my whole workout freestyle. i used this program: http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html and then this one: http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html i like having programs because they keep me on track. i actually learned how to swim a year before my sprint tri, but i think you can do it while training for a tri. i did end up paying for a couple private swim lessons to improve my stroke - turns out my stroke was fine but my legs were all crazy. good to know.

good luck!! feel free to friend me if you want more tri friends :)