Just had my 3rd baby! Nursing,dieting & exercising to lose i

Options
Hi everybody! I'm new and I just had my 3rd baby 1 week ago. I'm trying to get an early start on weight loss. I'm nursing plus dieting at hopefully 2pds per week and my execise will probably be limited to walking for a while. I am only 5ft 2 so I can't eat much so any motivation and encouragement helps. I'm still losing some water weight from the birth but I think my starting weight will be 154 and I hope to get to 120 in about 4 1/2 months. My short term goal is 8pds before Christmas.

Replies

• silveryflutterby
    Options
    Since you are nursing, you will be burning about 500 extra calories per day than someone your height/weight who is not nursing. So if you just ate your recommended calorie amount for maintaining while breastfeeding you would automatically lose a pound a week. Then you add exercising and the fact that this takes away calories to create your goal loss/week. So if you feel like your calories aren't enough, you should up them because your body will nourish your baby before you and you want to stay healthy while dieting and losing weight. In your case, I would definitely eat any exercise calories you get. You can manually change your amounts on here too, I think.

And remember to take it easy until your doctor clears you at your 6 week check up. You don't want to over-do it. Congrats on your new baby and welcome to MFP!! You will love it here. :)
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    Unfortunatelly, you will probably not lose much weight while you are breastfeeding. The whole 500kcal you supposedly lose by breastfeeding finds its way back to your body.
    I have done a small research on this - you do start losing weight DESPITE breastfeeding some 9 months down track but not at the beginning.

I think exercise and minding your diet will help you - but you are only 1 week post partum - you should probably give yourself a break from all of it for at least 3-4 months!
    Congrats on your 3rd baby! WOW!