Hello from the UK!

Options
Hi, I downloaded the app for this site a couple of days ago out of curiosity (and boredom) just to see exactly how many calories verus exercise I do in a day. It's great, if a little controlling. Must admit, I don't need to lose weight as I lead an extremely active life with dogs and horses but it's very interesting when you see every meal down in print and to see just how much rubbish is contained in some foods I will never touch again! I also admit I very rarely eat fruit as I'm not that keen on it and my water intake is limited to only a sip in the morning.

Replies

• dizzycoolbabe
    dizzycoolbabe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello - also from the UK! I joined because an American friend invited me to here so that we could support one another - got to admit, not used it much since joining (so I'm not much of an encouragement...). Here I am first day! Going to try and lose a stone (that's 14lbs to all our cousins across the pond) by 20th December - it's a larger goal, but I'm sure I can do it with discipline and dedication :D
  • Sheepdoglady
    Options
    Hiya! Don't be daft, course you can do it! There's absolutely no reason why not. I went on the Rosemay Conley diet about 9 years ago when I wanted to lose weight. She's great as all her recipes are really tasty and so easy to follow and fat-free! I still do things now that I started back then, such as park in the furthest parking space to where I want to get to instead of parking right outside the door of shops, etc and always use stairs instead of lifts and instead of looking at an unpleasant task I have to do in a negative way, look at it in terms of calorie credits! :-)
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    Welcome to MFP ladies:flowerforyou: I'm from the Peak District in the UK and have been here for a while now, I can't praise it highly enough. There is so much support around and so many lovely, inspiring people. A stone off by Christmas is certainly possible, it's what I'm aiming for as well.:smile:
  • Sheepdoglady
    Options
    Hi Maggie, thanks. We camped in the Peak District last year, it's beautiful there. :-)
  • mobymarsh
    mobymarsh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    hi all i am from derby this is my second week i have dieted for many years i have gone to slimming world and know i can loose weight this way but with shift work i can not always go to the class so that is why this site is good for me i can still do slimming world but i have the support from the group
  • owengem
    owengem Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Greetings from Lincolnshire.
    Good luck with your journey x
  • PercyPig
    PercyPig Posts: 318
    Options
    Hello from London! Just started my second "serious" week on MFP and am loving the website and all the support so far. A stone less by Christmas would be the perfect present! Add me so we can support eachother - best of luck everyone!
  • stina1985
    Options
    Hi all, I'm from UK too (Lincolnshire, England)

So nice to see so much support on here. Only signed up over the weekend but loving it already. I started properly at the end of September and have managed to lose 1 stone 2lbs since starting... so hoping this site will give me the inspiration to carry it on! (I have a fair bit to lose unfortunately, in it for the long haul!)
    xx
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Hi from sunny Wales! Its beautiful here today! I love MFP, without it I'd still be a size 18 instead of a 14 :bigsmile:
  • TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi from near Derby!

Good Luck :)
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello from Edinburgh in Scotland!

: )
  • jackal75
    Options
    Well hello to all of you! This yank (snicker) thinks it is great that this site (and the app) has reached you all across the pond. I cannot praise this site enough. I started with exercise only, lost 15 pounds, then not another pound for 2 solid months! When I got my smartphone two months ago, (11 August actually) I was "just giving it a try."

I'm now down a total of 43 pounds. This site was exactly what I needed.

SheepDogLady, this site will help you as well. I had no idea I was eating so much crap. We cook instead of eating out most of the time, but were amazed at what was in some of our home cooked choices as well!
  • Sheepdoglady
    Options
    It's great this! Chatting to people across the UK and the world - a bit like Facebook, but with a lot in common.

The weather has been just gorgeous here today too! (I'm in Norfolk) so have been able to get so much done and must admit I think I suffer from the SAD condition (seasonally affected disorder) as get reeaallly low when the weather is wet and dark so that is when I tend to turn to comfort foods and high carbs and have absolutely no will-power whatsoever. To be honest, if I didn't lead such an active life with the animals, I would struggle with my weight.

Is there anyone else who is a self-confessed serial animal lover?!
  • katmil
    katmil Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi! I'm from London, and also a horse lover (riding is one of my main inspirations to lose some weight!).
    Have been using this site for 6 weeks exactly and have surprised myself at how I've managed to stick with it. I told myself that I'd book myself a riding lesson to celebrate once I'd lost my first stone.... Guess I should do that tomorrow! It's what I've been aiming for :)
    Katie

ETA: I'm animal crazy! I currently have 2 rats, 3 frogs and an axolotl! Really want a puppy for my 30th birthday (7months away, eek!), I'm giving it some serious thought! I'd love a pug, but it would be treated like a dog and not a diamante-wearing fashion accessory!!
  • Sheepdoglady
    Options
    Hi Katmil

I can totally relate to the horse thing! I have 2, which I love to bits. Makes all the hard work worth while. Where I live, there are more horses than dogs, and that's saying something! Shame you don't live nearer cos there's loads of people looking for help with their horses, yet when I was little I lived in Bedfordshire, we used to go down the stables, groom, muck out and ride and pay them for the priveledge!

Oh bless, a pug! They're gorgeous in "a face-only-a-mother-could-love" kinda way! That would make a great birthday present, and an excellent way to keep fit! I have 5 dogs: 3 Border Collies and 2 Border Terriers. I work the collies on sheep and train to compete at sheepdog trials.
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    Hello from Sheffield! Good luck on your journey, you will love it here.

I joined in July and haven't been too successful in my weight loss so far but I don't have much to lose. Had a bad couple of weeks but think I have my motivation back!

Ok, so I don't have a horse but at the moment I have two cats, a house rabbit (the foxes want to eat him) and a guinea pig...

It's never boring in our house.

Simone
  • Sheepdoglady
    Options
    Hi Simone

I have 2 feral cats which sleep in my hay barn which I feed. They both just turned up one day and both have a corner snipped off their left ear, which I thought was strange and a neighbour, the old boy from across the way, said that was "hereditary"! Bless him. I enquired at the local cat sanctuary about neutering and mentioned about their ears, and they said it is the nationally recognised sign of a neutered feral cat! How about that! Apparently they operate a TNR system (Trap Neuter Return) which works very well. We get rabbits come and go here too, but like you say Mr Fox comes for his dinner too!
  • sim247
    Options
    Hi Simone

I have 2 feral cats which sleep in my hay barn which I feed. They both just turned up one day and both have a corner snipped off their left ear, which I thought was strange and a neighbour, the old boy from across the way, said that was "hereditary"! Bless him. I enquired at the local cat sanctuary about neutering and mentioned about their ears, and they said it is the nationally recognised sign of a neutered feral cat! How about that! Apparently they operate a TNR system (Trap Neuter Return) which works very well. We get rabbits come and go here too, but like you say Mr Fox comes for his dinner too!

Interesting, I have never heard of that before!

We had a lot of problems with Mr Fox and his family at the end of August so we brought him in. He seems to prefer being inside because he gets more attention! We back onto woods and there must have been something happening in the fox world because all of a sudden we heard of cats being killed, my daughter saw a fox in its mouth in broad daylight!
  • Sheepdoglady
    Options
    my daughter saw a fox in its mouth in broad daylight!
    [/quote]

Did you mean the fox had a cat in it's mouth or another fox!?!!!
  • sim247
    Options
    my daughter saw a fox in its mouth in broad daylight!

Did you mean the fox had a cat in it's mouth or another fox!?!!!
    [/quote]

Think I confused myself there too!

My daughter was at the bus stop about a month ago and there was a fox across the road on some waste land with a dead cat in it's mouth. It was really upsetting for her.