Stronglifts 5X5

Options
Im starting stronglifts 5X5 tonight, anybody have any tips, tricks or advise?

Replies

• libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started it 6 weeks ago and I thought I was lifting heavy before. This has opened my eyes. It is a great program with which I am hitting PRs and getting stronger and already seeing physical results!
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am starting this week!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Yay, I am going to love this post.

I've been flirting with stronglifts for a few weeks. I am going to change my gym to one closer to my home that has lots more weights for me to do the stronglifts better.

So far, I like it. I see results immediately.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    No tricks, just do the program. Watch videos on form for all the lifts. Correct form is very important. Make sure your form is correct before you add weight. I've been doing SL for a little over 6 months now. I love it.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Im starting stronglifts 5X5 tonight, anybody have any tips, tricks or advise?

Hey, I have a question....you're new to Stronglifts, right? So, do you have to add 5 lbs EACH time you go to the gym or are you using the same weight for a week and then adding the following week?
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Also, I love the app. It has helped me stay on track recording how heavy I am lifting.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Squeeze your a*ss and abs 100% before dropping into the squat. The first move in the squat is to sit back. Pretend your putting your butt on a box behind you.

Your legs are going to get real sore day one if you've never lifted your legs. You can still lift day two with these sore legs. Surprisingly, lifting helps the soreness.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Go here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

And yes, you are supposed to add 5lbs every workout, not every week. That's why you start with the bar.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I started SL 5x5 about 2 months ago. Great program! I'm really noticing positive changes in my body. My best suggestion, for your squats, use the regular squat rack, not the smith machine. I made that mistake and I feel I really shorted myself. I just started working in the squat rack about 2 weeks ago, had to deload quite a bit of weight, but the work is so much better.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Never mind. Google is my friend.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1185582-why-people-have-to-squat-differently
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

For anyone who is starting a progressive load lifting program stay away from the scale for at least 3-4 weeks. Take measurments before you start and pics for comparison...not just standing there...flex (as much as you can)

Get your form solid before adding weight. But don't be scared to add weight. At the start you add weight all the time but once it does get "heavy" before adding weight be sure of your form.

If you are still trying to lose weight understand at some point your lifts may stall...you have a choice at that point...lose weight slower or not at all and increase the lift weights or stay the course, lose the weight and possibly stall on adding weight to the bar.

Deloads are your friend, you get to work on form, get extra strong and typically bust through a stall.

As a woman buy some fractionals or weighted collars as the upper body moves often require those sooner than we'd like.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Deloads are your friend, you get to work on form, get extra strong and typically bust through a stall.
    Everytime you deload, find a video online about how to do whatever lift it is. Elite FS, Dave Tate, Mark Rippetoe are all renowned experts in the field. Do a search with their name combined with the lift. Watch the vids. Correct your form while deloaded. Bust through records!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend reading Starting Strength -- very similar program and likely the basis for Stronglifts. Greatest thing for form ever! Also, I'm a big fan of Yo Elliot youtube videos. If you're taller or have tight legs (especially hammies and ankles), make your squat stance wider with your toes/knees angled outwards. It feels like you're doing a slight plie.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Newbie here on week 3 of SL5x5. My advice so far is to pay attention to unusual pain or soreness during or right after lifting. No matter how many videos you watch in advance, you may still end up with some issues with your form (I know I certainly have some). I posted last week in the SL For Women group on here because my lower back was incredibly sore after barbell rows. The posters there gave me some suggestions as to what I was doing wrong based on my description. I tried those techniques this morning (keeping a more neutral head and neck, and stacking the barbell on some plates to raise it off of the floor so I'm not reaching as low to start), and when I completed workout A again, and I am not sore at all and felt good during the workout. Little things now that aren't corrected could lead to bigger injuries as the weight increases, so don't be afraid to ask for help when you feel you need it.

Also - speaking as someone that was *terrified* to go into the free weights "cave" in my gym - just go in there and do your thing! Seriously... I almost left the gym on day 1 of this program 3 weeks ago because I was afraid the big men would laugh at me. They didn't!