weight loss, fibromyalgia, and shift work

Options
Hi all,
I am new to myfitnesspal, posting first time tonight. I am a nurse manager, and often work all three shifts in a week--not out of choice, but because we are short and don't have enough staff to cover. I also have fibromyalgia, which has considerable effect on my ability to exercise.
I would love to hear from anyone who works shifts, esp nights, or anyone who has the challenge of fibromyalgia.

I have 100 lbs to lose, and will am currently in a program prior to having bariatric surgery. I am trying to walk 10,000 steps a day, am currently at about 5,000.

claire

Replies

• mobymarsh
    mobymarsh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    hi i work shifts i am a nurse, i do nights but i hate them and feel they are my worst shifts for eating because i never know what to eat. my best shift for food is early because you can get home for a proper meal, i can not eat well at work i only get 20mins for my break sometine that is not enough time to put someting in the microwave then eat it so you end up having a sandwich not good for me i never feel like a sandwich does anything for me.
  • JudiMacS
    Options
    Hi Claire - Funny thing or no not really but I have an appt. for my Doctor tomorrow to talk about Fibromyalgia. I am also a diabetic recently diagnosed and I have 120 Lbs.to lose. Any advice on how to explain the pain without sounding like a nut? Judi
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I can't address the shift work, but I sure can talk about fibromyalgia. I've had it almost all my adult life. I was diagnosed with it before it even became fashionable to have it.

It certainly limits your exercise. The only way I have been successful with weight loss is to obsessively count calories, weigh food, etc. I had to get used to another pain, hunger pain.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. :)
  • JudiMacS
    Options
    Hi Im not even sure yet if I have Fibromyalgia but It is either that or Diabetic Neurapathy. Im going to the doctor tomorrow hopefully ill know more. I just began this weight weight loss program 3 days ago. My husband too. It does hold you more accountable. We are strictly counting calories and were able to adjust sugars, fiber, etc for diabetics needs.