Trying not to obsess

Options
... but as much as I hate to admit it, I am obsessive. I have been doing really well, I feel better about myself than I have in years, but the obsession thing sucks. I obsess about obsessing. How do you live in the grey and not just the black/white?

Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    about what?
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I just go with it at this point. Right now, I'm obsessing about my weight loss and body recomposition. And you know what's good about being obsessive? You get results because you hyper-focus on what you're into at the moment. When I get to my goal, the obsession veil will lift somewhat and I'll move on to my next obsession. That's just the way I am.
  • karinaApplebombinos
    karinaApplebombinos Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wish I always got results related to my obsession... I hope that is the case with my weight loss journey. I signed up for my fitness pal quite a few months ago, maybe a year. I never really went all in. I am now c l e a r l y all in. Weight doesn't pop up all at once, and it doesn't melt off the same way either. I'm okay with being hyper focused on this because I am seeing results. :-) funny, I want a miracle cure to find a grey area for life I guess
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm also obsessed but I have a very high-strung obsessive personality so it makes sense I'm this way with fitness/diet as well. However, while I see results this way and am in pretty good shape, you ahve to make sure you find the balance. For example, I get worked up on days I don't work out - this includes scheduled off days. i also stress myself out being obsessed which is counter productive. There is definitely a way to have a good obsession and a bad way :)

When I find myself getting way out of control and super obsessed I TRY to take one day from not worrying about any numbers and just be healthy.
  • Rose6300
    Options
    I wish I always got results related to my obsession... I hope that is the case with my weight loss journey. I signed up for my fitness pal quite a few months ago, maybe a year. I never really went all in. I am now c l e a r l y all in. Weight doesn't pop up all at once, and it doesn't melt off the same way either. I'm okay with being hyper focused on this because I am seeing results. :-) funny, I want a miracle cure to find a grey area for life I guess

One way to maybe use your obsession to achieve your desired loss and not let it derail you is to obsess about the steps to achieve weight loss, not about the weight loss itself. For me, that means besides religiously using MFP to log, I also have a spreadsheet where I input my day's calories eaten, day's calories exercised, day's morning weight. The weight I use a 7-day rolling average on so that when I see daily blips I don't get too bent out of shape as long as the trend line is going down. Most days, if you're hitting your eating and exercise goals, your weight will be lower than the previous day's rolling average.

I don't tell myself I have to lose x by y. Instead, I tell myself I have to stay under my calorie goal and I have to exercise (unless it's a rest day).

I guess what I'm suggesting is that you use whatever tools you need to to make your obsession about the steps you need to take, not the results you hope to get. That's what's worked so far for me.

You can do it. :flowerforyou:
  • Rose6300
    Options
    Oh, and here. :wink:

screen-shot-2012-03-07-at-3-33-05-pm1.png