Whats the best way to start training with weights?

Options
Kate_UK
Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
I'm close to my goal and I'd like to start toning up as well as doing cardio. I bought the 30 day shred last week and have done a few days of that using 5lb hand weights, but thats the only time I've ever used weights. I dont have a gym membership (or time to go) so I'm looking for things I can do t home without having to spend a huge amount on equiptment. I don't mind buying a few things but just don't want to break the bank!
What do you suggest?

Replies

• Kay2Phat
    Kay2Phat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a resistant band set that hangs from my door. It is very useful. Also, Jillian Michaels have an app on the iPhone that shows you exercises based on the part of your body you wish to workout and they are all done at home. Hope this helps! Have a healthy day :)
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You don't have to spend a lot of money at all. You could a few plates and a set of adjustable dumbbells.

For example the following kit at Amazon is probably enough to get you started:

http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-40-Pound-Dumbbell-Set/dp/B000VCDXNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288004376&sr=8-1

You could also by fixed weights, 2 5lbs, 2 10 lbs and so on as needed.

A bench could be useful but at a beginner level you could do without.

I suggest the following routine:

1. Pushups to build chest and triceps
    2. Bent over rows to build back muscles
    3. Overhead press with dumbbells to build shoulders
    4. Dumbbell squats to build thighs

There is more you could do, but those are the basics that cover the major muscle groups.

The following link has more information on specific exercises:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/a/weight101.htm

You could get a great strength training routine with no equipment at all but it's much easier if you have some equipment.

I highly recommend finding a good beginner weight training book. Websites have plenty of information, but its great to thumb through a good book for inspiration or ideas. Also, try to mix it up and make it fun. I never do the same workout twice.

Good luck
  • jim0822
    jim0822 Posts: 19
    Options
    Buy Oxygen magazine, it's a great resource. You don't need to aspire to look like the fitness models but they always have good ideas - much can be done at home and also keep your workout fresh.

Congratulations on your progress!:flowerforyou:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You could do some exercises that require no equipment at all until you are able to get some resistance bands or weights. The more popular ones are chair dips, push-ups, wall squats, and lunges.

There are some cardio programs that use those in the workouts (such as Insanity) so you don't need to spend more time lifting weights since you are already pressing your body weight in various ways to build lean muscle mass. Those exercises are also part of P90X.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    There are a number of good books and/or websites out there with simple exercises you can do with free weights or resistance bands (which are very portable for travel).

However, I would highly recommend that you treat yourself to ONE training session with a top notch personal trainer (sometimes referred to as "Master Trainer") at a reputable gym. Tell them what you want to accomplish and have them show you a routine to do with small free weights and resistance bands. The most important thing you will get out of this is a professional eye to observe your form. The older you are, the easier it is to injure yourself with bad form.

One note on overhead press: I saw a PhD in Physical Therapy awhile ago about shoulder issues. That was his specialty. He works with the Boston Red Sox. He said that while doing overhead exercises, you should ALWAYS keep your hands within your peripheral vision while looking straight ahead. This means your arms are pushing at an angle over your head... and not directly over the top of your head. The reason is that the construct of the human shoulder is not intended to do significant loads directly overhead. He said you could get the same muscles with other angled exercises and not risk injury.

And for legs - remember: Knees Behind Toes!!

The key thing here is to work into your weight training slowly, increase slowly and pay attention to sore muscles vs. injury. Injuries are the #1 reason why people quit weight training... and it is most often because of improper form.

For myself, the gym membership was the smartest investment I have ever made. I have friends I have met there and seeing them a few times a week helps make the workout fun and keeps me coming back. They also spot me for my heavier sets and we cheer each other on.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Best wishes for health and fitness!
  • Charlie001
    Options
    Really low weights 5lbs to 3lbs, or just body weight. . 30 to 50 reps an exercise. 5 exercises in a row no rest. repeat 5 times. You will get toned in no time.
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    As a fitness instructor, ACE Pers trainer and a gym owner, I highly suggest investing in a qualified personal trainer. Do some research on their background and certifications. Anyone can get certified on line but doesn't make them "qualified". Just because someone has been lifiting weights for years doesn't qualify either because they could be performing exercises incorrectly and not be aware of it. Look for someone who has the experience of working out, certifications, workshops and lives the fitness life. Ask questions, see if they are really into helping you and your needs/goals. You can check out videos, magazines and other info once you have your correct form in place and ready to venture on your own. You should have a pers trainer work with you several times, showing in person and with mirrors so you can see and feel the form. Working in this fitness industry, I have seen many people setting themselves up for injury and not having a clue they are doing so. They saw someone else do it so they will try it. Everyone has their own reason for training and diff goals. Some train for weight loss, muscle firmness, power lifting, body building, flexibility and ect, that's why it's not a good idea to follow someone's training routine. Meet with a trainer who is looking out for one thing....YOU!