How to banish the beer belly?

Options
Sugarchef
Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
My Honey is by no means a "worker-outer", but is becoming somewhat disenchanted with his growing belly. He referees 2-4 soccer games a week, and has a very fit lower body. I was thinking of teaching him some core strengthening exercises. Any recommendations as to what else I can have him do? I know diet is key, and I'll do what I can for him in that department. Any guys out there with similar body types that have had some success in banishing the belly? And he's going to be hard pressed to give up his beer :drinker:

Replies

• jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the key to the beer belly, and unfortunately if he isn't going to improve his diet or give up the beer it will take A LOT more than the 2-4 soccer games a week he referees. Core exercises are great for strengthening and bringing out the muscle, but it doesn't do much in the shedding fat department.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    um- you answered your own question....

diet.

he needs fewer calories- he doesn't have to GIVE Up beer- just consume less calories than he burns on a regular basis.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Tell him that Flamenco Dancing will get rid of the beer belly. Record it, post it on Youtube and share the link. It will be fun for everyone. :drinker:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Tell him that Flamenco Dancing will get rid of the beer belly. Record it, post it on Youtube and share the link. It will be fun for everyone. :drinker:

I would love to see this!
  • Sugarchef
    Options
    I'm really liking the Flamenco dancing idea. Could work. As for diet, I make most of his food, so he's about to join the healthy train with me. Hmmm, maybe racquetball. That could be a fun couples activity. Oh, and sorry if TMI, but maybe more vigorous action in the bedroom can count as extra cardio ;)
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Squats and a calorie deficit.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Squats and a calorie deficit.
    or
    Juggling and a calorie deficit
    or
    Needlepoint and a calorie deficit

You can insert anything into the equation as long as a calorie deficit is maintained.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm really liking the Flamenco dancing idea. Could work. As for diet, I make most of his food, so he's about to join the healthy train with me. Hmmm, maybe racquetball. That could be a fun couples activity. Oh, and sorry if TMI, but maybe more vigorous action in the bedroom can count as extra cardio ;)

no pictures, it didn't happen. THIS I wanna see!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my 40 lb beer belly by drinking a little less, eating a little less and working out. He could do all the core strengthening exercises he wants but they won't help with his belly. Seriously, it is all about the calorie deficit. Eat (or drink) less; move more. Of course, he has to want it too...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the key to the beer belly, and unfortunately if he isn't going to improve his diet or give up the beer it will take A LOT more than the 2-4 soccer games a week he referees.

This is full of fail.

Cardio isn't the "key" a caloric deficit is whether it be through exercise or diet alone. I'm going to guess you haven't ever refereed a soccer game before... Yep, that 80-90 minutes of running per game 2-4 times a week is totally not enough...
  • Sugarchef
    Options
    Cardio is the key to the beer belly, and unfortunately if he isn't going to improve his diet or give up the beer it will take A LOT more than the 2-4 soccer games a week he referees.

This is full of fail.

Cardio isn't the "key" a caloric deficit is whether it be through exercise or diet alone. I'm going to guess you haven't ever refereed a soccer game before... Yep, that 80-90 minutes of running per game 2-4 times a week is totally not enough...

I know it's not enough, even though he claims to run 4 miles a game. (cute) We've starting talking about racquetball and pushups. Gotta start somewhere.