When did people notice your loss?

Options
Hi everyone. For those with 100+ more pounds to lose, when did others start commenting on your results? I have 150 lbs to lose, and had a 10 lb loss on the scale. I notice it in my thighs and my stomach is shrinking in. I'm looking forward to when others will see my hard work paying off. I totally get that it will take awhile, but I'm just curious. I'm also hoping my family will see a difference when I go home for the summer after not seeing them for a year.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd reply even though I haven't lost 100. :)

For people you see everyday it will probably take more #s for them to notice, and they'll perhaps notice when you start wearing different clothes. For people you haven't seen in a while, they may seem a bit shocked.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm sure people will notice quicker than you think... but I've found that sometimes, people are hesitant to say something.

Unless you're my friend's husband who shouted, "Hey, you've lost a ton of weight!" at the dinner table last night with a group of ten. Was rather hilarious. :laugh:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    It might be awhile, from my experience. But do NOT give up or lose heart...it is so worth it.

I always weighed around 260-270 lb for like 12-15 years. Then I gained, and got up to 307. Over the course of about 3 years I dropped from 307 back to 270 and my MOM was the *only* person who noticed. Seriously. I was married (to someone different than now) at the time and even my husband said he didn't really see a difference, but knew I was getting in better shape because I walked many miles every night. I told one of my best friends when I was down about 30 lb and she looked shocked and a bit taken aback, like she could not see the difference at all...it was disheartening. I told myself that these people maybe didn't realize exactly how big I'd gotten at 307, and were used to seeing me around 260-270. Who knows.

When I started MFP, I didn't have a huge loss right in the beginning but just steadily lost a pound or two every week or so. That has continued, although it has slowed for me as I've gotten closer to my goal (now at 184). When I was losing last summer and fall, I was down a size pretty often and had a LOT of comments along the way. The biggest flood of compliments for me came when I finally started replacing my size 22 clothes with 18s. I had not lost a ton of weight...I think I was around 230-240 lb range. But it seemed like EVERYONE noticed, and it kind of surprised me...even neighbors, business contacts, and distant relatives commented.

Good luck!!
  • mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    People have been commenting on mine at around the 28lbs lost mark. And I have 130lbs to lose. It is very satisfying but you have to give it time.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    People see weight gains and loss way before the person who is changing does. At least that how it was for me. People notice when I somehow lost fat and gain something else for months. It go to the point where I never get on the scale but still see my clothes getting looser and looser.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't have that much to lose - maybe fifty at the most, and that's from my starting point of 214 - but I started late February/early March, and I just got my first "hey, have you lost weight??" last week. It was from someone I don't see very often, so I think that played a part in it. I expected it to start coming a lot sooner, to be honest, but I can't even see much change, so I'm glad anyone's seeing it at all!

I figure it'll get really vocal when I buy new clothing. I started at an 18, I can now squish into a 14 and I want to be a 12 by the end of summer, so hopefully the change will be a lot more noticeable then : D
  • keobooks
    keobooks Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This is terrible. I worked with this woman for over a year. She lost over 100 pounds on the religious Weigh Down diet. I did not notice at all until someone pointed it out to me. Some people are lousy noticers and may not ever see it.