Starvation Mode

Options
So last week i started excercising I did 3 45minute CV classes and 2 1/2hour body coniditoning classes

My calorie intake was approx 1200 with only eating carbs for my evening meal

But ive only lost .2 of a pound!!

The gym tell me that my body has gone into starvation mode!!!

Any advise

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You should be eating 1200 calories plus your exercise calories. The minimum caloric intake should be 1200 Net. (1200 plus exercise calories burned). You may also want to change up your diet a little. It is better to eat carbs earlier in the day as they are the easiest form of fuel for your body to fuel the workouts.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. for 3 weeks I was stuck. So for 2 days, I increased my calories. kinda like a treat day. and cut my workout back to just walking. And then when I got on the scale a few days later, I lost 2lbs. guess my body needed a kick start or something. got used to same food day in and out, and same routine.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem.....I've upped my daily workouts so that I'm doing a "double" workout (a yoga DVD and a power walk) each day, except for my weekly day off. I am counting calories and NOT going hungry. With all of these extra "exercise calories" I can't eat them all!

I thought my weight would drop with the extra exercise, but in fact it's gone up 0.6 pounds....UGH! I'm discouraged, but I do see some difference in my muscle tone. So that helps a bit....but I'd still love to see the scale dropping!
  • jdesm
    jdesm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ya, erickirb is right. On the Plus side, with your body having only been used to that few of calories when you do up it your body will burn them like crazy. So as long as it's good calories don't be worried that you'll put on weight.

He is also right about the carbs too. If you do need to eat before your workout, and want carbs as fuel, eat them 1.5-2hrs before your exercise. Otherwise eat a regular meal a few hours before and keep most of your carbs for earlier in the day.

Your post workout meal should definitely contain protein. Cardio exercises burn a bit of the structure that makes up your lean muscle mass, so if you want to stay "toned" looking you'll want to replenish what was lost. Protein will do that for you.

Cardio releases cordisol - Cordisol breaks down muscle protein and converts it to energy for the cardio

The proteins of your post cardio meal will neutralize the remaining cortisol and replace the proteins lost by the muscle.
    So again don't think of it as protein loading and you'll become some big buff gym rat, your body will use it for the right things right away :happy:
  • naughtydoguk
    Options
    Look up weight loss plateaus at www.fat2fitradio.com
    They have some good podcasts on it.
  • joycee170
    joycee170 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys

Think im gonna swop my morning egg whites for some porridge. Protein for lunch, plus ive been having a protein shake at the gym after cardio too ??? I cant avoid carbs for dinner as we sit down as a family to eat - i just havent the will power come the the end of the day. I only had a baby 9 weeks ago so everyone keeps telling me to be patient the problem is Im so very impatient.

But thanks for all your help